1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is the Tmac we need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaoterminator, Feb 9, 2008.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

No, "us guys" don't hate him one day and love him the next (other than flakes like DaDakota). It's just that a lot more haters come out of the woodwork during poor stretches.

As for his contract, McGrady is one of few max players that is actually worth the money he gets.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol seriously

Mike Finley 21.7
    Shaq 20 mil
    marbury 20mil
    Jermain oneal 20 mil
    webber 19.5 mil
    Tmac 19 mil ~
    francis 16.5 mil ~
    Ben Wallace 15.5 mil
    Red 15 mil~
    elton bran 15.3 mil
    Iverson 20mil
    Kidd - 19.7 mil
    shawn Marion 16.5 mil
    Ray allen 16mil

I would take Tmac over the rest of those players.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tmac has its faults. every TRUE rocket fan should know what they are:
    1) inconsistent effort on D
    2) sometimes fall in love with the J
    3) too injury-proned

but seriously, tmac is the one to blame for everything and anything lately. when alston played bad when he returned, they blamed it on tmac. now that alston is playing well, that excuse is done.

when tmac got 6-7 assists, they said he domianted the ball and should leave that job to the PG. so when he scores a lot, they said he dominated the ball and should have passed.

when he smiles on the court -> he doesn't take the game seriously
    when he doesn't show up on the sideline -> he doesn't care about the team
    when he doesn't mention yao's name -> he is disliked by yao
    when he shows emotions and yells at scola -> he's ruining chemistry (and i've remembered distinctly you said this--AND YET scola has played superb with tmac since tmac scolded him)
    and so on...

it's fine to blame tracy. tracy has faults that he should change. i would love to see him play the reg. season like he does in the playoffs where he goes all out. but many people (it might not include you) would exaggerate and make up some stuff to blame tracy and that is stupid.

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

But T-Mac haters don't see that all they see is 5-14 and that means he had a bad game to them. I guess they don't know what a great player is because if they knew they wouldn't hate T-mac. A great player is somebody that can take over the game when his shot isn't falling and do other things, but they don't know that. Believe me when I say this T-Mac could have 25 dimes and 20 rebs. in one game and if he didn't shoot well that game just say he went 6-22 the haters would call that a bad game.

LMAO at Carmelo Anthony hit and run.

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

It's all about winning and Tmac has been delivering Ws since he came back from injury. He's done it in a variety of ways. Defense, rebounding, passing, scoring. He's been getting himself back in to the flow, and hasn't been as aggressive as he can be. But its okay because he is just doing a good job of feeling his way through a game and then taking over when he feels like the rest of his teammates are off.

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

There's definitely an anti-Tracy faction on this board for whom McGrady is the devil himself.

But on the other hand there's a pro-Tracy faction for whom T-Mac can do no wrong. Maybe they've become hyper sensitive because of the unending attacks from the first camp. But the fact remains that they are hyper sensitive now. Offering up any type of criticism of T-Mac, justified or not, constructive or not, brings them swarming out like bees out of a nest. In other words, they're riding his jock strap. It's gotten so ridiculous that just pointing out that the Rockets look a lot better when T-Mac is looking to pass the ball first and shoot second gets you accused of being a hater.

Blaming the role players for T-Mac's problems is stupid. The Rockets have got some of the best role players in the NBA. Battier, Hayes, Scola, Landry: you couldn't ask for a bunch of guys who are more hard working, humble and professional. They don't need to be scapegoated for his shortcomings.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, and I still think he shouldn't be yelling at Scola that way. What the hell's up with the dirty looks? That said, Scola's a professional and I don't think he's going to stop giving 100% just because T-Mac's acting dumb.

I also don't think Yao should be bringing the ball down and dribbling so much in the post. Just because I (or anybody else) criticize both guys doesn't mean that we hate them.

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I took that to mean "with T-Mac."

Nobody discounts what the other guys did when T-Mac was out, but everyone on the team(even the role-players) said they were doing a bit too much watching T-Mac during the early part of the year.

The big question was when T-Mac came back would the role players go back into their shells or would they still get theirs along side T-Mac. I think the answer is obvious. Sure they will have off shooting nights, but with so many to choose from its going to be rare that all of them are having a bad night. Every game back for T-Mac save the first one(against SA) has featured 4 or 5 guys in double figures. Usually its Yao/T-Mac plus 2 or 3. Heck, against Cleveland, it was Yao plus 3 or 4 with T-Mac not in double figures. Sometimes its Bonzi, sometimes its Landry, or Rafer, or Scola, etc.

9. jajayao

jajayao Member

I think its quite clear. For every T-mac Lover boy, there are 5 T-mac haters. Quite pathetic how people can't just support the team as a whole during great victories as today. Gotta nit pick every little thing. Whether it's Alston shooting poorly one day, Yao turning it over too much, Tracy taking too many shots, Shane getting schooled on defense guarding the other team's superstar, Bonzi can't hit free throws, Rick Adelman not playing a lineup u like, Hayes not scoring in bunches. My god, just give it a rest. We won, theres always rooms to improve, but don't hate just for the sake of hating.

10. superx

superx Member

They have to wait the next year. ;)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Bench Alston, put Luther in at SG, and move Tmac to the point....and wallah...instant contender.

DD

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Although this team is full of milk drinkers I would have to say that Scola is the softest. I don't mean how he plays but more how he reacts to confrontation. I think McGrady sees a guy who won't stand up to him so he is going to ride him.

See if Tmac ever goes after Bonzi. He won't because he will get his jaw cracked. I think even Shane and Chuck would not take some of the stuff that Mac dishes out on Scola.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Nothing new. This is what T-Mac always did. Role players decided to move around and cut more this game. If you get open, T-Mac will find you. He's probably one of the few superstars that are very unselfish. Like JVG said, T-Mac is the best play maker behind Steve Nash.

14. t_mac1

um he goes often after sura, wesley, mike james, and ryan bowen in the 04-05 team. are u saying sura and wesley are SOFT? even the loud-mouth mike james? :rolleyes:

let's make one thing clear: tmac has NOT been looking for his shot earlier in games. how he plays throughout the first 3 quarters is basically dictated by how the team starts and how yao plays. the only time i see tmac REALLY looking for his shot and calling for a lot of isos/pick and rolls is in the 4th quarter.

tmac has made a conscious effort to run the offense, swing the ball, and get the team involved in the first 3 quarters. tmac understood the team played well offensively without for long stretches. he doesn't want to stop that. he wants to be a part of that. and the team is now improving and winning with tmac. that's it.

15. BucMan55

I see guys talking to each other all the time about where to go and who should have done what. The only time I saw T-Mac say anything confrontational to Scola was like 3 weeks ago. Surely people arent talking bout a single incident that happened many games ago as something that is happening every other dead ball.

16. BucMan55

This has I think the majority to do with the better play. T-Mac doesn't have to do it all in the first 3 quarters because Scola is being aggresive, Bonzi is cutting off of Yao, Rafer is penetrating, and Battier is playing T-Mac shooting the 18 footer if his man goes under the pick.

Sure, T-Mac isnt taking as many quick shots as he once was, but how much of that was him being selfish vs thats a pretty good shot and beats getting bogged down and out of position and shooting a worse shot at the end of the clock.

17. t_mac1

tmac does that to every player, but i think it's more encouragement than a scolding b/c after he gets mad at them, he gives them hi-fives and things like that.

he does this with chuck hayes all the time when he misses the layups. he did that to yao when yao missed the layup in that portland game.

tmac has always been vocal in this kind of way, but i guess he's becoming more vocal right now. he was very vocal last night.

18. RocketsDream

RocketsDream Rookie

Why do you fool have to bring Yao into the discussion. Fools like you keep trying to derail every thread to a Yao vs Tmac pissing match. Why do you have to be such a moron? Are you really having such a sad and bitter life that you have to provoke conflict on the internet? You are such a pathetic fool.

19. BucMan55

Maybe he is tired of the Yao praising yahoos degrading on T-Mac's performance because "their guy" didnt get 35 shots.

20. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

Even though i like this T-mac i just checked his numbers with Orlando and those are sick. He shot 5/6 three pointers per game easily, sometimes 7/8 and his percentages since his first year are almost around 45%. Even last year he had 43% so my question is: was his shot selection always so poor ? I mean, he hit 4 three pointers against the Spurs in the last 35 secs which is amazing but it seems like he could do that every night. His percentages are great and i know he used to dunk a lot and get 30 ppg easily. Can some1 tell me what the difference is between the 'old' T-mac and the one that's hated on since this or maybe last year ? I never saw him play before this year, maybe one game from his year with the Raptors, and my reason to dislike him was he was too dominant, really lazy at bringing the ball up the court, sometimes in a fast break opportunity he slowed the tempo, he forced shots etc. Did he do this before and was he hated on in his Magic days ?

If anybody has any substantiated facts / info on his days from old reports etc. or just what has been discussed on here over the past few years please post them. I would love to know more about T-mac since he seems like a great guy and his willingness to adjust. He used be dominant points wise and could easily get half the teams points. I don't like players like that and in the end it probably hurts you more than it does you good.

We indeed need this T-mac who passes instead of forcing shots but i don't think it's a problem if he's dominant at times / in the 4th like against the Sonics.