1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is more fun than watching a bunch of mindless 3 pointers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 31, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But I didn't say it was only on volume 3s.

I said yes, it had PNR and it was mostly drive and kick. Layups, FTs, 3 point shots.

Relying on only midrange shots will win you nothing, true. I think people, I know I am, are saying that variety is good and makes the defense guard the entire floor.

D-rock likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You saying "He's taking the most threes of his career" while ignoring that he's never played as many minutes or had this much usage is something else.

Yes, he's also taking more shots in general...because he's playing more minutes and has higher usage...this would happen with any player that sees a large influx of minutes.

Yeah I think it did. Starting out with the wrong coach/system can ruin a career, especially if a player needs that confident boost. Green literally said he would be out of the NBA if it weren't for Kerr. Make of that what you will.

As for the rest of your point you're just not getting it. You still think long two pointers are bad shots because of moreyball. I'm also not sure how Wood would have had those liberities if his job would have been to space the floor with Harden. We've literally seen this experiment fail a few times. If you can't shoot playing with Harden then those players tend to struggle...because they can never feel comfortable in a game. That Wood would somehow be the exception to this rule, I don't know about that.

Again, I don't care about if he shoots X amount of threes per game. I care more about where he is at on the floor. Just like you saying "Dmo didn't shoot many 3s" and instantly going to a stat screen for that point when people back then knew he spent too much time standing behind a 3 point line to play his game.

Cmon man this is crazy.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As I've said, the hypocrisy is clear.

"We need to shoot 3s to space the floor!" then "No, 2 point shots are useless!" It doesn't occur to you that taking 2 point shots ALSO makes it harder for a defense to defend and offense vs "This team will never shoot mid range shots." Like, how easy it is to rotate the perimeter, ignore cutting, all because you know the team is just trying to put up another three.

Even though we've had players...on defense...that have played NBA defense literally tell you the value of a 2 point shot and how much harder it is to guard a player that might take a 2 point shot than a player that is either playing for a layup or 3...

hakeem94 and Joe Rocket like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

All I'm going to say it was weird to have a great offensive coach, great GM, and generational offensive talent but be unable to get baskets, any baskets when we needed it the most.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Your saying this like it somehow proves Mike would have him be taking more threes than Brook Lopez. Hell, he's taking more than Tucker did for us the last three years. He's taking more than Jeff Green when he was with us. He takes more than Chris Paul right now. I....what else can I say here. His increase in minutes changes nothing about my point.

Okay, but why would he take more threes under Dantoni when the guys I mentioned before dont take as much as him right now??? He's actually taking more than KAT right now too. That's crazy. Do you think Mike would make him shoot more than him too(KAT should actually be shooting more threes). You arent getting what Im saying, in another system he likely woulndt be taking as many systems as he does now. Silas is copying Mike in that regard. And I really doubt Mike would be different.

Green is also a HOF. Dmo never had that potenial. He didnt even stick around in the NBA and went to China man. There is no argument.

He played with Harden and is playing just as well now as he did then. Woods got 30 in his first game playing with Harden. He's shooting 37% from 3 right now on 4.6 attempts per game. The players that tend to struggle with Harden are usually the ones that suck. See Westbrook. And Woods can shoot so I dont even see what the problem is.

I mean that's fair. But the dude(Dmo) never did anything after he left Houston. This is fine, Mike runs lots of pick and rolls, and Woods still sometimes has to stand around here to space the floor here with Silas too. My point is that Mike and Silas are a lot more similar than you are giving them credit for. And Woods would be fully utilized with Mike/Morey.

Dmo could have posted up more, that's fine. Maybe they didnt utilize it as much as they could have. But Im hard pressed to find any evidence that he was some amazing player when his post Rockets career isnt spectacular.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not hypocrisy when one shot is clearly a win for the defense.

Woods 2 point shot is a win for the defense. Its like telling me Westbrook shooting pull up 2s isnt a win for the defense. Teams in the playoff will give you that shot all day. The one or two shots Woods attempts from mid range doesn't really make a difference to me.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Just think how good the offense numbers would be if they stop trying to prove a point at the beginning of games by jacking up threes...

D-rock, hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Telling someone to shut up is not keeping the peace. Nor is supporting that behavior.

Dude, this is not even debatable.

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Those mindless three pointers are more fun after a big defensive play... after play.. after play. You can literally demoralize and demolish teams and create instant momentum shifts in a heartbeat like that... that’s how they did Portland after going down dubs.

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Well, everyone is doing this... no one is playing our defense. That’s where we gonna win... we’ve already proven we can easily score 120+ Per game if we wanted to. We can also hold teams to 100 at will.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I didn’t say it wasn’t rude. It’s just not a personal attack. I agree. What are we even talking about?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you know me at all, I've been clamoring for Rockets to return to the switch everything defense that they played in 2018.

But this defense depends on certain kind of personnel to be effective. That is why Morey traded for RoCo, signed Jeff Green and tried to acquire Wood.

This season Rockets have even more waves of 3-D players. They need at least 1 more 6'7+ defender to really weaponize this defense IMO.

The "D" in my user name stands for DEFENSE.

HP3 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont care if you didnt feel that it wasn't a personal attack, it wasn't towards you.

If someone disrespects me then I will respond in kind.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can't remember I was having too much

FUN

D-rock likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No they won't.

Teams in the playoffs don't want to give Wood an open 2 point shot, he's not a bad shooter. Man you making it up that the defense gives up open mid range shots against us. They don't. that a team in the playoffs is going to willingly give up 2 point shots when every possession matters? I mean, they would for an MDA team because they don't have to worry about the guy taking the shot.

Look, we can go back and forth on this all day. I think it's a misconception that MDA and Silas are the same and if you look at shot charts from MDA vs shot charts from today you'll see we do take more mid range shots. I know someone showed the one last night but we got hot from 3 so milked it. The main difference is that guys won't apparently be talked down from taking open mid range shots.

You have this obsession with Moreyball, what's odd is last year I tried to tell you about the value of the low post and how it still has value and it can still lead an elite team and you argued me down about it...all while Jokic led his team past the Clippers and all while Embiid is leading his team's offense with tons of low post offense.

Basketball is a beautiful game, there are multiple ways to play it.

But man every time someone even suggests that a mid range shot is good for variety the Church of Morey comes down on you, denying what players and coaches have said about it with stats and numbers when the argument being made isn't even about that.

It's this simple though, 4 minutes left, every basket matters, are you really going to give Oladipo an open mid range shot? Maybe you do if you know he's not going to take it and instead pass it to a 3 point shooter so you ignore this threat...but if you know he might take the shot? Well the, that leaves a lot more options for Dipo in that moment. Damn the stats, that's just how it works.

Kobe and MJ didn't work on their mid-range game for nothing. They did it because they knew it made them that much more unstoppable.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I dunno I had a LOT of fun watching that 2017-2018 season. That was the greatest team I've ever seen, until CP3 tore his hamstring.

pr0wler and MettaWorldPete like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea they will. Its not gonna be a difference maker. Its not a difference maker now.

He's a bad shooter from mid range which is the point. If the play call is give C Woods a mid range shot than its a bad play call. In the clutch, it might be okay but its never really helped us win games, not once. He doesnt even take a lot per game which is good but he shoulndt take any, it makes no sense. He also is not a good Iso player. Woods is so good because he scores within the flow of the offense.

They arent exactly the same now, but Silas isnt changing the offense drastically. That's not a good thing and it hasnt helped our offense. Wall especially should not be taking these shots. We are third in the league in 3 point attempts, we take a lot of 3s. Thats what we do here. Silas has said he doesnt like a lot of mid range, but in the clutch when you need a bucket its good to have, his words not mine. I like it.

Those guys(Embid and Jokic) are great and I told you they were the exception not the rule man. Dude's should be playing to their strengths, thats efficient basketball. Its why other teams have adopted our shot selection.

Sure,, totally agree. But shot selection shouldnt really change drastically between teams(unless they have really good mid range players).

Its good for a dude's who are good at making them, otherwise its a waste. I love it when Cp3, Durant, Kyrie take mid range buckets.

The stats dont disagree with you. In clutch time you should go for the highest percentage shot. Oldadipo mid range it is.

Sure but they are two of the greatest scorers of all time and dont have to be limited. We didnt do that with James or Cp. MJ is also one of the greatest mid range shooters ever. And being honest....it probably would have helped Kobe if he took easier shots sometimes.

pr0wler likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Mid range attempts per game over the years

16/17 : 6.9
    17/18 : 7.8
    18/19 : 5.9
    19/20 : 6.2

20/21 : 6.7

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!