1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is more fun than watching a bunch of mindless 3 pointers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 31, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They did start bricking shots in the 3rd but the difference between now and a MDA team is their defense was able to keep a cushion through the scoring drought.

So I think the main difference is the defense.

Although I do think jacking up 3s has an effect on a team. Like imagine if Morey had gotten Wood in an MDA scheme...how many more 3s would Wood take? Not that they would not run the PNR with him just that they'd get on him for passing up open 3s. MDA would encourage him to take more 3s and he's not a good 3 point shooter. Average at best which is great for a big...but if he's taking a lot of 3s I imagine his efficiency would go down and he would look like a worse player.

Now Wood can do what he wants, shoot floaters, take mid range shots, whatever...but I do fear if we still have MDA we'd try making him into Dirk.

B-Bob, hakeem94 and JumpMan like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are #3 in 3P attempts.

But you keep speaking that "truth" into existence brother.

MettaWorldPete and harold bingo like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

43 I believe.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

That goes against analytics.

Morey and MDA were all about analytics.

Why would they forgo anything that is as efficient as Wood's floater?

Please stop with the Big Lie.

MettaWorldPete, 34to11 and HP3 like this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Rockets more fluid like water

-Bruce Lee

Joe Rocket, juanm34 and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are really going off the reservation now.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTS!
    Btw I also imagine we gotta leave some things for playoffs, like secret weapons and adjustments and make other people more involved and develop their game, make them come out of shell rather then just spamming wood regardless of how efficient is he...
    this is the same reason i like tuckers screening, driving, playmaking sprinkled in outthere

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol what? do you even play bro.. there are a ton of bb info and insight besides moreys notebook

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets were NEVER mediocre with James Harden.

Please make your points without being silly.

It's okay to like the Rockets, no matter which iteration.

But to constantly ridicule the most winningest era in franchise history is ignorance.

There were no championships but that does not delegitimize the successes.

Let's not hate to appreciate.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Ummm...not its not. In two of those years it was defense. And in one of those year's it was Chris Paul's hamstring facing the GOAT team.

Like...its not. I dont know how many times I have to say this.

D-rock and 34to11 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea that's ridiculous. How many three pointers did we ask Nene and Clint to shoot? Woods is better at them so he would have to take some for spacing purposes like now. But the idea that MDA would lose the Pick and Roll when Harden literally ran pick and roll with Jeff Green last year is crazy.

Morey has even gone on record and said that we stopped running pick and roll because teams would trap James Harden and Clint could be trusted as the release valve out of this situation. Woods is different.

D-rock likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for this substantial post, I feel that what I witnessed in San Antonio and Oakland and what we've analyzed for years now is totally refuted.

The defense is what got them there. The offense couldn't seal the deal. Paul adding a midrange threat and Capela adding a vertical threat were huge to keep James' game humming. In 2014-2015 it was a one man show, and in 2019-2020 the roster balance skewed away from defense and James tripled down on bad shots out of necessity, but it eventually became habitual.

Why can't people have conversations about this without being weird? If you want something wrong to become right, you're going to have to keep saying it A LOT.

They missed a sports record 27 missed threes in a row you absolutely crazy narrative driving weirdos. You think none of that was systemic? That's a catastrophe we're likely to never see again, and thank goodness.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean your eye test alone is not the only metric by which you evaluate why a team didnt go far enough, no? It wasnt our offense that stopped us, it was our defense.

The offense AND defense is what got them there. Tell me how many other teams could beat the Warriors under those circumstances with different offenses?

Was I rude? If I was I apologize. But I've looked at the numbers, I've looked at the context. Our playoff failure have been mostly about defense, not offense. Also Chris Paul either not being there or declining.

D-rock likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No offense taken, but I feel very strongly that the numbers show that our offensive scheme was a plateau. It got us deep and then couldn't adapt or switch gears on the home stretch in a 7 game series. The shot efficiencies and where the shots came from show that. 0-27 for 3 was a huge indictment on that system.

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. 34to11

34to11 Member

Not "prove" but emphasize.
    I choose ALL my words carefully and deliberately.

Thank you for volunteering as Exhibit B.

D-rock likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

The truth is that unless you have an abundance of talent on your roster, everyone' offense goes down in the playoffs. And I have examined the offensive numbers and the context from our playoff series. The truth is that high level offenses go down agaisnt high level defenses usually. The plateau you are talking about is talent, not offensive scheme.

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not a big lie at all. The thing is they wouldn't have cared if Wood shot 3 pointers and would have encouraged this.

To say otherwise ignores MDAs history as a coach. I mean Westbrook came here with the freedom to chuck. Westbrook. Wood being a big they would have LOVED for him to shoot as many 3s as possible.

Man, some of yall forget we had Dmo spot up behind the 3 point line more than we ever had him down low, looking useless out there, all because he was an average 3 point shooting big man.

I didn't forget though. With MDA/Morey Wood would have been spot up behind that 3 point line A LOT.

18. bmelo

bmelo Member

If you dont see difference in type of shots they take then im sorry

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

His history as a coach is that he loves Pick and Roll(and variations of it) and never usually wants to go away from that. You can trust that Morey and Dantoni would have found the most effective way to use Woods. Morey is even on record saying why we scrapped the pick and roll to begin with and it was because of people trapping and Capela.

Westbrook actually shot a low number of three pointers for us relative to his career. He did change his shot selection for us. He also went to the paint a lot more with us.

Im not saying that Silas is bad, he's been really good. But he's a lot more similar to Dantoni than people want to admit and its not a bad thing.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Well they are statistically "worse" shots and a "worse" offense than what we have had. A lot of that is due to Harden not being here but some of that is coaching and not having great offensive players overall.

D-rock likes this.