1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Lakers 2012 all over again...sort of.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 14, 2015.

1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Uhm, Luke Walton has the easiest job in the NBA right now. The Warriors are playing the exact same way they were last year except curry is a bit better. Walton doesn't have to tell them anything.

I thought this was obvious?

2. TheresTheDagger

We need a young, hungry coach. Someone who's a teacher, motivator, but mostly a disciplinarian.

And for God's sake, someone who actually coaches X's and O's.

3. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Morey wants his moreyball

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And what's weird is he's never really gotten us people who shoot over .400 on 3s nor a quality PG to get more layups. He let two of them get away, Dragic and Lowry.

Do you know how few .400 three point shooters (with > 100 attempts) the Rockets have fielded in the last 10 years? Five. And only two of them shot more than 200 in the year they did it, Battier and Head -- 10 yrs ago. By comparison, San Antonio has had 8 in the last two years, 5 in their championship year alone. GS has shot .400 AS A TEAM 2 of the last 3 years.

And look at our pathetic history of play-making PGs

Not any coach can implement a system designed for 3's and layups, without 40% 3 shooters and no offensive PGs to speak of. Rick Adelman and JVG were smart enough to not even try to run such a system.

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You can easily argue the players don't shoot 40% because they don't get as many good looks or open 3s, or crisp passes.

You can also argue that the Spurs and Warriors develop their players into better shooters. Was Kawhi Leonard a good shooter 2 years ago? What about Harrison Barnes (he's still bad), what about Danny Green? Draymond Green didn't shoot 40% 2 years ago.

The list goes on and on.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Ariza shot 41% the year before we got him, he joins our team shoots 35%.

Harden shoots 39% in OKC, joins us 36%

Corrections btw: Harrison Barnes was a better shooter than I thought.

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess not to you, as you claimed that GSW was running a 3 and layups system based off of 'creativity and brains' from the coach. Now you're telling me that a coach isn't needed. Which is it?

9. TheFreak

So your claim is that minutes played and responsibility given, as well as attention from the defense, etc. is not responsible for this, so much as a simple change in coaches? That's what you're going with?

10. heypartner

I'm not saying fire Morey, but in 10 yrs we've only fielded 5 .400 shooters for three different coaches. And note, I didn't even have to go back more than the last three years for Spurs and GS. I wasn't counting this year, so you can take Draymond Green off the list.

And you can forget Leonard too. He has never shot .400. Not sure why you brought him up. He didn't make the Spurs list of 8 in the last three years.

If you don't think the Spurs and GS have players more suited for a 3 and layup team than us, then that's just silly, plus you forgot the playmaking PG part of that equation.

We have only 5 .400 shooters in Morey entire tenure, across three coaches and really no play-making PGs. It doesn't mix with this system, as well as the other teams.

Amd no, I don't think coaches really make you three point shooter as much as you claim, but yes, they can insist you only shoot open ones. But the Rockets get tons of open threes. That's not the issue.

The issue is the shooters to match the system. You can't say it's all on the coach, especially over the course of 10 years with three different coaches.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Can you not understand that the System Kerr implemented last year is still being used this year?

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You're really going to argue coaching doesn't impact how a player shoots?

Please read this article.

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yes sir, in the end, this is all on Maury. This is his team from the coaching staff all the way on down to the last guy on the bench.

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Look, I'm not vacating Morey of any blame in this. He's made his share of mistakes. It's a shared responsibility of

1. GM putting the most talent on the floor
    2. Coach maximizing that talent through training, practice and system.

Yes I agree, we could have recruited better shooters, but we also could have made our shooters better through coaching or changes in mechanics, or given them cleaner or more open looks in the places they are best.

There are a lot of factors in this, but to blame Morey for everything is silly, It's also to silly to blame Mchale or the players for everything. It's shared responsibility.

The question really is. Who do you fire the easiest? Coach or GM? It's coach 9/10.

15. heypartner

So, GMs aren't allowed to hire shooting coaches when they want a 3 and layups system. Is that what you are going with? And they aren't allowed to sign play-making PGs? That's all on the coach?

Or can coaches turn PGs like Brooks, Alston and Bev into play-makers.

You continue to ignore the PG aspect of 3 and layups.

16. heypartner

The Rockets get tons of open threes.

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I was under the impression the head coach chooses his coaching staff, I could be wrong, I'm actually not even sure how that works.

like I said, I'm not vacating Morey of any blame, but you can't tell me Morey is more to blame than Mchale in this or we should fire Morey before we fire Mchale. If anyone's getting fired it's mchale.

And you're right, we didn't sign any play-making pgs. But we signed one this year and he turned out bad.

18. heypartner

No, I'm saying you are overstating their ability to create a .400 shooter at the NBA level, and so is the article, because people loooove to write glowing articles about the Spurs. If they could, then Kawhi Leonard would be one by now, but he's not really even close. Do you think you can impact FT shooting that much, too?

Oh, and lots of laughs at the article saying Belinelli was taught to shoot by the Shot Doctor. He's a career .392 shooter over nine years. And he's second worse year was last year with the Spurs. So, the Shot Doctor created his best year, but suddenly he forgot what he learned?

19. TheFreak

Maybe in other cities, but not here. Rick Adelman was let go for wanting to choose his own staff.

20. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

While that is true/silly, the Bellinelli thing. Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker are notable improvements though. Going from a 25% shooter in college to 37% in the NBA is pretty remarkable in my opinion.

Let's not take anything away from the players themselves and how hard they work, but having a coach or outside voice telling you what to fix helps a lot.

It's like a golf swing, or my table tennis coach. Sure I can learn on my own, but its infinitely easier having someone there tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.