1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Lakers 2012 all over again...sort of.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

i doubt anyone of these guys live in the hood anymore.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Sick. Of. This.

3. bmd

bmd Member

His profile says he's from Indonesia... probably doesn't have the best understanding of American cultures and social issues.

Probably just a stereotype he's heard.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Gimme a break. Like there aren't other threads where that post would have fit nicely. You just wanted extra attention to your oh-so-clever analogy with the 2012 Lakers (which I don't really agree with). Fair enough.

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I, for one, prefer to post in threads started by '99er-02ers, even if redundant. They tend to attract better posters/discussion. But, I'd also like to dispense with the meta-discussion of whether eradicating redundancy is wanted, much less possible.

6. oakdogg

It just gives a little insight into the poster. "I don't want to contribute to another thread on the same topic. I deserve my very own thread, b/c I am so clever."

7. oakdogg

Also, I think the length of a poster's posts tells a lot about a poster. Yes, long posts can be necessary for complex topics. But it's annoying when posters always post long a$$ posts that aren't very enlightening. "I'm smarter than everyone, so I deserve more of your time." And then they pounce on you when you comment on something but didn't read their post multiple times and commit it to memory.

8. sun12

sun12 Member

I do not agree. It has been a pattern. Good teams do not start out of the gate as a poop, especially just finished in the WCF. It tells you that the coaching staff have not prepared the team well before the season starts, or they do not know how to do it, or it could also tell that WCF is a luck.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Actually I didn't say any of that but thinks for making it up.

All I'm saying, and all I have been saying is that there are two exceptional coaches that either played or coached in the SA system under Pops and were heavily influenced by that system and run their current teams with the same type of discipline that Pops does. I have no clue if any of the assistants on the Spurs can be as good as Bud or Kerr.

I am claiming that while Ferry believed in Bud he certainly didn't know for sure until Bud was a head coach. No one knew for sure. And while I don't know how good the SA assistants can be I don't think for an instant that Pops would have kept them on the team for a decade if they were not good at what they do.

I like the SA system because it is a proven system. It is a system that highly values both offense and defense and it is a system where both offense and defense are exceptional by the very highest standards in existence.

If Pops believes in his assistants enough to keep them around for a decade then why wouldn't I believe they could be very good NBA head coaches?

10. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Yes I completely agree! Expose our flaws early and it's better to correct them early. If we can't correct them then we don't belong in the playoffs anyway. I'm tired of first round breakdowns.

You know you're in trouble when your best defender is out of position in the perimeter repeatedly. Good luck, Rockets!

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We barely have a losing record right now. We probably won't in a few hours time.

At 0-3, having been blown out by 20+ each time, if ypu had offered me 5-5 after 10 games (with no PFs available and Dwight to miss a couple of those) I think I would have taken it.
    Sux to lose to Nets and Nuggs, but I don't see this being a horrible season (yet).

Coaching change? Not opposed, someone needs to preach defence!!

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I agree. This is a completely unnecessary thread.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The 2012 Lakers were combination of an aging superstar 2 guard...plus a really old MVP PG and an disgruntled injured center, playing along side an older Pau Gasol.

These 2015-6 Rockets have a young immature star 2 guard, a 1st year vet PG who was dealing with major issues off the court, and a much healthier aging center who still lacks a post game. -PS. they are playing their usual SF as a PF.

There are zero similarities to either of these teams. One's implied success was a result of media hype, and the other is a result of underachieving team leaders.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The 'system' is what Morey wants. I can't believe how some people think that bringing in a different coach is going to change that. Do you actually believe that McHale is out there doing his own thing with no direction from Daryl? This is the offense that Daryl wants. Simple, to facilitate a flexible roster (high turnover and a complex system do not mesh), and emphasizing 3s and layups/quick shots/transition scores to take advantage of a defense that's not set. It's what they do in RGV and what they do on the Rockets because it's what Daryl wants. Yet people continue to blame McHale. Funny how Finch was supposed to be some offensive guru, yet no one ever blames him for anything.

I also don't understand why people think that you can just try to completely change the way that Harden plays by bringing in Lawson and not have it go off without a hitch. Hello, it could be a full year at minimum before they're comfortable with each other. Would have been nice to target Lowry last off-season, by the way.

As far as expectations for this season - they have been inflated around here from the start. Most rational observers had GSW, SAS, and LAC ahead of the Rockets for sure, with health being the only reason OKC wasn't ahead of them as well. Only on this board was that disputed.

The Rockets willingly came into this season with TJ as their only 'proven' PF, knowing Howard would miss a minimum of 20 games. They were smart enough to sign Chuck but dumped him in the name of flexibility. None of that is the fault of McHale.

As far as Howard leaving, to me that may not be a bad thing. Not a big fan of paying 22 million or whatever it is for someone who is 'only 29' and already can't play in back to back games.

1 person likes this.
  15. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Go tell me the role players on those JVG teams. They were nothing more than the Tracy and Yao show with no one around them. I have no doubt JVG could win a title with this Rockets team.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Offensively sure but defensively I doubt Morey wanted it to get a lot worse from last season. That's the problem.

17. ibm

ibm Member

+1. well said.

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Morey doesn't have a "SYSTEM" he has a "PHILOSOPHY" currently employed by just about every good team in the NBA. Prioritize 3s and layups.

Any coach can implement a system that is designed to highlight 3's and layups. It requires some creativity and brains... Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Lots of teams do it...

Morey is not the problem

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

We made 11 threes a game last year, GS, CLEV, SA, LAC, and ATL all made over 10.

Our problem is those guys have a system that gets guys open other than Harden ISO. Which means they shoot them at a higher percentage than us.

We shot 34.8% last year

Those teams all shot between 37-40%. That's like one extra 3 a game when you take like 30 of them.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What are you blabbering about? GS is currently 10-0 with Luke Walton coaching them. LUKE WALTON. Please enlighten us on how Luke is leading GSW to an undefeated record with his 'creativity and brains'.

What's funny/sad is that not only is Luke apparently an elite NBA coach, but he could also probably be in the Rockets' PF rotation right now were he to suit up. Damn you, Kevin.