1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is gonna be a fun squad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

I'm excited as well.

The off season could have been A LOT worse. We have an exciting team full of bombers.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i know it sounds crazy, but there's potential for top 10 defense

good defenders - ariza, bev, nene, capela, kj, harrel
    capable defenders - harden and dmo
    avg defenders - ryan, gordon, brewer, beasley

they have the talent but they need a good defensive coach and they need to actually do it.
    wont be elite but good enough for top 10

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Hahahah... fun is if we win.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

get your flame suit ready.

I think Brewer can be a capable to good defender if he didn't gamble so much.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Why do people think it was just missed shots?

We did some horrible things defensively they don't even do at the high-school level. Our strategy was absolutely miserable, and execution was embarassing to watch on D. Yes, we'll have to shoot better but damn our defense was absolute dog **** too.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Defense is 90% effort. last year's team had none. We have seen the defense switch from solid in 2015 season to atrocious in 2016. Why can it switch back just as quickly?

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The offensive fireworks will definitely be fun to watch.

And honestly if Anderson, Gordon, and Nene all succumb to injuries then at least we can stealth tank into a good pick.

8. delishman

delishman Member

I went off the Clutchfans grid for a few days and was full on Twitter mode. Surprised when I came back to see the depressed anarchy.

Really pumped about the off season signings.. if you get upset every time a marquee FA doesn't pick Hou.. you are in for a long life.

An efficient offense can do wonders for a defense. We have significant flaws but pumped to see what this team can do.

9. delishman

delishman Member

Also.. assuming the people who are mad about Ryan Anderson are the same people who would cite not signing Ryan Anderson as a marker for a failed off-season.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ofc he can but thats hardwired into his brain.
    he can make a good defensive move, but if his man still has the ball he'll **** it up by reaching or jumping to block or taking a stupid charge.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is the first time I feel Morey has gotten role players that fit what he wants to do in a long time. Usually they lowball some players just to get decent role players but those players dont fit. I think he needs to eject those players like Brewer who clearly dont fit and keep doing what he's doing.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I keep looking into the stats of D'Antoni and how we're going to play, what worked so well for the Suns, what didn't...

My main concern is the same one it was last year. Are we going to live and die by the three? The Suns shot about .396 over the course of four years from the 3pt line. And their wins reflected this, but what happens if we are more like a team that shoots .347 from 3pt land? Will we still be able to win or does the Mike D'Antoni offense create such good shots that percentages will go up?

If we shoot .347 from three next year, we could be in for another long season because when Mike got canned in Phoenix and they shot .383 the year after, they were 46-36. That's a long way from the thrill of winning 60.

D'Antoni's formula for winning isn't predicated on defense, so I am not too worried about it right now, but it is predicated on hitting 3's at a high percentage. Ryan and Eric shoot .377 and .383 so that should help, but these are percentages that let a Nash Phoenix to a 46-36 record.

This shooting coach Oppenheimer has some work to put in, the players have just as much or more.

13. don grahamleone

My theory is that this is because he's had some power taken away from him and it was handed to Mike D'Antoni.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Should be much more entertaining to watch than last year, but we're still not going to win anything. Oh well, most likely nobody else in the West is either going up against the Warriors. Might as well enjoy it.

15. don grahamleone

The Warriors aren't a shoe in to a championship. They still have to figure out how to win with soft big men. I know a lot of people think that they're best without a big on the floor, but you have to remember that they have a whole season of being undersized. This takes a toll on skinny fellow. Draymond plays big minutes, but who makes it tick when he sits? Does the bench still provide the same punch it did two years ago? They've lost 5 and it's about to be 6 players from their actual championship roster. Now they're treating bigs like they're a dime a dozen. The NBA bigs have never been a cheap commodity. Zaza and West aren't big minute guys. What happens when anyone gets nicked up and can't play as much? Is Mr. Play-Everyone-30 Minutes or Less-Kerr going to have a solution now that he has less depth? Was Walton the real genius? We don't know. We do know they have questions and a laboring season ahead of them.

Tolls get you. For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the Warriors.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

They added the second best player in the NBA (yes, he's still better than Curry or Westbrook or whoever else) to a 73 win team. Nobody's getting past them in the West without some very serious injury problems running them down.

17. don grahamleone

The triangle offense requires bigs. They lost 5 bigs from their championship year. Who is going to stop being a primadonna and set a pick over and over to get these guys open?

If we traded Harden for Draymond, their problem would be even worse. Who is setting a devastating pick? I can tell you who did it for the Bulls and the Lakers. I can't find a guy on the roster who can set a pick now. Also, they have as many defensive problems are we do.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

As long as the offensive looks good, Harden, Anderson, Gordon, and Ariza hit 160+ threes, guys look like they're having fun playing together, and we break 50 wins then I'll call it a success. Hopefully MDA comes through and stirs this bad boy up real good.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think you even need to set killer picks when most of your starting lineup is unguardable one-on-one. Beside you can always count on Draymond to do some dirty sh**.

Anyway, really their only significant loss was Bogut. Barnes gets replaced by Durant, the rest of their starting lineup is intact. They still have Iggy off the bench too... one of the best defensive substitutions in the league 1-3.

They're going to blow everyone off the court on offense. It's going to be disgusting.

20. JD88

JD88 Member

Did you watch Game 5?

Ariza missing practice shots made me sick.