1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Fine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 4, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we probably won't know for sure until tomorrow, put let's say the current numbers stand, and Biden wins, with republicans keeping the Senate, making small gains in the house, but democrats keep control there.

Divided government is good, and with cocaine Mitch in charge, most of the kookier aspects of the democratic agenda will be off the table (court packing, adding states, abolishing the EC, etc...). Republicans also did very well at the state level, and are set up well for 2022 and beyond.

then, looking at 2024, republicans will be free of the shadow of trump. although he was a uniquely polarizing figure, he did some good things (judges, ME peace), and he demonstrated a path for a reborn Republican Party, more populist, more blue collar, and there is a deep bench of potential candidates.

On the other hand, I can't see Biden as a two term president. assuming he can finish this term, he won't (can't) run again. that leaves Kamala at the top of the ticket, and whatever qualities she might have, personal charisma is not one of them. Deval Patrick Barack Obama ain't walking through that door. but the democrats are not going to replace the first female vice president (or president).

My early pick for a republican ticket would be Haley/Scott, or Scott/Haley. they'd do very well against Kamala and whoever runs with her.

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We need the supreme court to toss obamacare. Lets see how 100 million people like having no or unaffordable insurance. Why the democrats didn't focus on that makes no sense.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2022 has 12 Ds and 20 Rs up for re-election in the Senate.

If McConnell blocks stimulus again, the Rs are going to get absolutely assblasted in those midterms.

Also, the spectre of Trump will loom over the Republicans forever. His children will make sure of it.

Rashmon and JayGoogle like this.
  4. Air Langhi

Apparently a lot of people like trump based on this election.

Corrosion, AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

So this is what losing sounds like? Tell me more about Hunter Biden...

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Republicans fighting affordable healthcare has been a major point in every Democrat Event I've seen, especially in the last days.
    Biden, Harris and Obama mentioned it wherever they talked.

7. Air Langhi

So have the republican ads. They had ads saying which they were trying to protect preexisting conditions too. It shows how popular it is. Americans don't care about black people, the environment, or immigrants so focus on healthcare because I think it effects most people.

8. basso

Supporting Member

we'll learn more- that's a separate issue, and will dog Biden's administration for a while. not as much as Joe's dementia and palsy, but it's not going away.

9. basso

Supporting Member

I voted for Jorgeson; I was always going to lose.

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe not. McConnell has been blocking a new stimulus bill since May and the Senate Rs had a strong performance yesterday.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The chess board this time was heavily in favor of the Rs. It won't be in 2022.

Remember, before COVID Dems were considered lucky to get to 48 seats. On election day they were projected to get around 52-53.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

John Durham doesn't think this is fine.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  13. basso

Supporting Member

14. KingCheetah

Nook and Yung-T like this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

nice, but kind of obvious, don't you think?

16. KingCheetah

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But I do agree with that Scott/Haley thing.

Your problem is, with how close this is, and with Trump delivering the senate to the GOP...do they get rid of Trumpism? Trump could run again, and no not Donald (although he could run again...) but his son or daughter could pick up that mantle.

You needed a Biden blowout to be done with Trumpism, it's not looking like (right now...) that's happening. This was the country's chance to smack down Trumpism, they have not. Soooooo...I think Trump sticks around, maybe even tries to run his own network, and that toxicity in the GOP remains and even grows.

18. basso

Supporting Member

I think the message is Trumpism is good (policy focus), but not Trump himself (tweets, etc.)

Corrosion and jakedasnake like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

they didn't focus on much beyond "trump is bad"... which plays perfectly to their base (and those sane of us that know, yes, Trump is ostensibly a horrible human being) but ignores the fact that we knew he was not a "great role model" of a human being before as well, and he won.

The Democrats literally ran the exact same race as last time... except this time with a male instead of a female.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

**** yeah more gridlock while getting nothing meaningful accomplished for our people and this country!