1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is a bit disturbing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Didn't Francis push the Rockets to get T-Mo??

Funny how I haven't heard or read Yao push the Rockets to get Bateer or Wang.

Nice try, but equating something that actually happened to what a couple of posters on the BBS wants is hardly a double standard.

2. aznlincolnpark

guyz dont worry too much still a month or two until the season to start :D just chill

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Jeff, I agree with your post except that the NBA as an entity could care less about Wang or Yao playing in the NBA. If the NBA is a corporation that doesn't care about losing out on millions for one year just because the other guy might be willing to lose out on more millions for a year, then I as a businessman, Texan and American am quite bewildered. Stern's quote on Sabonis is great, and he was also being quite sly when he made it: it hurt Sabonis' ultimate potential as a player and also was a lost cash-cow for his "handlers". The response to Yao in Oakland and Indianapolis is enough to make Stern's bosses want Yao here now, and if these rumors are true, then Wang is an impediment, therefore the NBA cares deeply about this situation. You think the NBA doesn't care about money?

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not a thing. I wish I knew.

declan: What I'm saying is that, no matter how much they want China as a marketing vehicle, they are smart enough to know that, ultimately, it will come to them and not the other way around.

It is already the second most popular sport in China thanks to the NBA's agressive marketing there. Yao and Wang or no Yao and Wang, the NBA will continue to flourish in China. Having Yao will help here, but it isn't essential to the success of the league.

There has been this perception, particularly here on the BBS, that the Rockets have been born with the selection of Yao. I'm not saying that welcoming in new fans is a bad thing. On the contrary, it is a GREAT thing.

But, it is also important to realize that the Rockets have a long, rich history of their own and players who are going to be more important to the short-term (and probably long-term) development of the team than Yao.

I am as anxious to see him in a Rockets' uni as everyone esle, but I worry that the incredible expectation being placed on Yao is simply beyond what any player can bring. In some instances, he's been painted as the savior of a franchise that probably would be fine even if we didn't get the #1 pick last season.

I just want us all to have a little perspective, but not necessarily temper the excitement in the process. You can be thrilled without holding unreasonable expectations.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

My Post broaching this very subject was banned just 3 weeks ago. How is it that this post hasn't been banned? I think its over due that we talk about the CBA/FIBA and Yao Ming!!!

6. coolpet

coolpet Member

too many worries...Yao will play and be signed. period, end of the thread

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What post? I looked all through your previous posts and didn't find one.

Besides, the discussion of the CBA/FIBA was done to death for two weeks prior to the draft. I'm not sure what we're missing.

8. Panda

Panda Member

This is ridiculous.The Chinese government or CBA has nothing to gain but lose from banning Yao's NBA career. The CBA will follow what the sports officials tell them to do so it's not really a factor.

The losses:
    1. The first bona fide sports superstar in China that can make them huge money. Fifty million dollars isn't beyond reach if Yao gets a MAX contract.
    2. Huge upset of China's Bball fans and hatred towards sports officials. Chinese political figures always consider the response of mass before action to avoid making themselves look bad.
    3. The loss of a lifetime chance to promote CBA and elevate the basketball level in China.
    4. No more interest in Chinese player from the NBA in the future.
    5. Decreasing in the winning chance in the Olympics and international competition.

The gains:
    Is there any? Ensuring Yao can play for the NT? The fact of Wang wanting to rejoin NT dismisses this motive. The NT could have Wang playing for them but excluded him as a punishment for his late reporting.

Oh yeah, there is at least one gain. The chance of the whole matter escalating from a sports issue into a political one, if the Chinese sports officials breach written international agreement(as Jeff pointed out Yao is already released), is there. Talk about fuel for blasting China. It's foreseeable some political figures express their concerns on this aberration out of various motives, the mayor of Houston, the anti-China politicians... Those sports official won't be so dumb to risk being summoned by the president Jiang Zhe Ming for clarification and have their jobs lost.

Also, how can they prevent Yao from going to the NBA? Point a gun to Yao's head and say "NO GO"? Tell the US ambassy not to issue a Visa? If Yao is determined to leave those sports officials or CBA have no power to not let him. After all, Yao has official clearance from FIBA, invitation letter to get a visa and the money to buy an airplane ticket. There's nothing holding him back.

Unless that reporter cites reliable sources I consider his article garbage.

9. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

Don't worry about it. If Ming's contract with the Rockets is not honored due to the Chinese side, the overseas Chinese all over the world will make it an international issue. Then, the very people who cause that will be disgraced. The present Chinese government is totally different from that of 20 years ago. Bet me $1000 that Yao as a Rockect is already written in stone.

With regard to Wang's situation, some of you are definitely right that life will move on for all the parties. CBA may bar Wang from playing in China, but it can't do anything about him playing in the NBA. I am actually sick of people like Mav's Donnie who put so much stock in a relationship with CBA.

For the Rockets fans, Chinese sports organizations are operated very differently from that in the US. In short, don't worry about Ming's situation. Even when some Chinese sports officials make some noises about Ming, treat it like a happy hour BS thing. If Ming is determined to play in the NBA, no Chinese officials can stop it.

Just like some sports writers here wrote off Ming right after the draft, those people don't have a clue about those American-public-never-understand Chinese things.

Wait for an all new NBA season with the Rockets.

Jim

10. mav3434

mav3434 Member

The NBA cares a HELL of a lot more about Yao than about Sabonis. First, Ming has been on ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, etc. about a hundred thousand more times by age 21 than Sabonis was when he was 21. Second, China has approximately 1 BILLION more reasons for the NBA to care than it did about Lithuania. Third, Basketball is internationalizing to the point where it is solidifying itself behind soccer as the second most popular sport in the world, and Stern cares a lot about that, and Ming helps that.

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

It would be cool if Basketball replaced soccer as the world's sport!

12. Axeman

Axeman Member

This is the one thing I was most concerned about when we drafted Yao. I think it is sad and unfortunate that talk like this is being thrown around. Let's hope it is just a rumor and not fact.

If anyone recalls, I had a post a while back that stated how the Chinese government would be willing to go back on any deal that they made with us, and that it is not like we can sue them or something... I am excited to have Yao join the Rockets, but if the Chinese authorities are going to constantly be blackmailing us with different stuff like this, it's going to cause some serious headaches, and maybe more of a distraction than its worth. Let's hope not...

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm sorry for this post....I just want to know what my member number is. Anywhere near Jeff's? Probably not.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Jeff: Clutch pulled it and two posts.
    I ask you to check your statement. Its to my undestanding that the Rox have only a clearance from the Sharks. They were promised the clearance from the CBA and have been awaiting its arrival. Without the CBA clearance FIBA won't give approval
    for Yao Ming to play here.

15. Panda

Panda Member

The Chronicle said that the CBA clearance is pending and should be of no problem. So maybe CBA didn't issue clearance yet. However, Goldberg mentioned that he had things in writing and there should be no worry. It seems that they have written agreement on such clearance while the actual release is pending. If that's the case, I'm not gonna worry about it as reasons mentioned above.

16. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I wouldn't be too hard on Donnie. There has to be a reason that he's choosing to keep his word with the CBA instead of just going out and resigning Wang. The talent level in the CBA has started to increase of the last few years. Yao, Wang, and Bateer are perfect examples. 15 years ago who would have thought that China would be a place with serious NBA talent (much less the #1 overall pick). In the next 10 years we could see more and more Chinese players with NBA potential. There are kids in China right now that see Yao, Wang, and Bateer and say "I want to play in the NBA" and will work to get there. With that in mind the positives of keeping his word to the CBA far outweight the benefits of signing Wang. If the Mavs were to sign Wang they could be forfiting any chance to sign an future prospects who could actually be better than Wang.

17. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Just wanted to add a couple more things to this topic. First I don't think the CBA would prevent Yao from playing in the NBA because of Wang's situation. It's possible but not likely. The CBA just seems to be on some type of high horse because Wang defied their orders to return after the NBA season. By the time the olympics come around the CBA will see how much better Wang got by training here in the States instead of training in China. With that they will also realize that by allowing Wang, Yao, and Beteer to train here in the States it will only make the CBA better. It may take a little time but China will eventually see the light.