1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is a bit disturbing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I was reading this article on the ESPN site and couldn't help but worry a little bit.

… Would the NBA rather have Yao Ming or Wang Zhi Zhi playing next season? That's the question Chinese authorities are expected to pose. Talk about Wang returning to Dallas -- which will not happen in any event, a source says -- or signing elsewhere doesn't take into account how upset the Chinese are that Wang didn't report to the national-team training camp. Rest assured the Chinese Basketball Association will withdraw approval for Yao to play if the NBA allows Wang to become a millionaire after he defied their authority. …

http://espn.go.com/magazine/bucher_20020901.html
    Sorry if this was posted before.
    I know we don't have Yao signed yet, but doesn't it seem a little odd that he is suppose to be here in mid october(seven weeks), and we still don't know FOR SURE if he's going to be here?

Imagine all the haters with the "I told you so" if the Chinese don't allow him to play b/c of Wang. :mad:
    Has anyone heard any progress...or are we all just hoping it will work out.

2. almostReady

almostReady Member

I think Wang has already been punished by being excluded from the NT this time and for the forseeable future. They will not punish Yao or NBA for that incident any further.

Is it possible that because of the insurance matter ( you know Cuban didn't want Steve Nash and Dirk play in the World, stuff like that), so, lawyers don't want Rockets to sign Ming until after the games? Then, what about the Asian games Yao is going to play in Oct.? Just a wild thought.

3. Truth

Truth Member

Don't worry, they won't back out now. Yao is coming to Houston. Wang will sign some where else and become a millionaire regardless. I think they've already signed papers that say that say they can't stop Yao from playing, unless there is a world tournament.

4. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I think it would be horrible to have waisted the 1st pick then to lose it, man I hope they are wrong about that!

5. Truth

Truth Member

Here we go, people starting something that you don't need to worked up about. This will just make for a better "Beyond The Glory" when Yao career is up and rolling. I'm telling you just sit back and play it:cool:

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I pray that your right.....I guess we shouldnt really worry until the chroncile comes forward with something huh

7. Severe Rockets Fan

That's what I'm thinking! We get all this hype and excitement, then the Chinese govt' says we can't have him.:mad:
    Its been quite awhile since anyone has had any info on Yao signing a contract. In fact, to me, it seems odd that nobody has said a thing about signing Yao. I figured that might be a little important, seeing as though the season is coming up soon and all...

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't think the Chinese Government wants to take Yao away. They can make a lot of money with Yao in the NBA. Heck, they already get a large portion of his contract! Not to mention that they will have a bunch of angry basketball fans if they don't allow him to come over.

You just have to remember: As much as we want him here, so does the Chinese Government.

Well, I think that's how it goes.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well like I said when the chroncile comes froward then we should worry

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Ric Bucher is talking out of his *** on this one. If he had hard info on this, do you think it would be buried in his column? He would have led off with it. This way, should the totally unexpected occur and Yao didn't sign, Bucher can claim... "Hey! You heard it here first!".

I don't know what will happen to Wang, but I DO wish he was on the Chinese team, so we could see if he's improved his game. Isn't he a restricted free agent? I think Yao's signing was delayed by the Rockets wanting Steve signed first. I hope Yao is signed soon so we can stop talking about it. :)

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I hope we can sign Yao, then get Bateer to sign!

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I believe the CBA has already given Yao Ming's rights to Houston via FIBA. If the Chinese do not allow Yao to fulfill his contract I do not think that Yao will be able to compete in international events.

Heypartner is a lot more up to date on the legalities between the CBA, FIBA, Sharks and Rockets so maybe he can chime in.

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thank you very much Crash!

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why the hell would we want Bateer???:confused: Why don't we just add the whole Chinese NT while we're at it? This is ridiculous, when it was erroneusly assumed that Francis would walk if we didn't bring in Maryland players, everybody was on his case in here and saying if that's his attitude, we should trade him because we need talent and not Francis's friends. Now I keep reading posts of people wanting to bring all the players from China. Talk about a double standard, sheesh.

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

This snippet of an article sounds pretty ignorant. The Rockets have signed agreements with the CBA and the Sharks and they do not necessarily have anything to do with the NBA. If the CBA is upset with Wang, that's one thing, if they hold the Mavericks responsible for not "delivering" him to China, that's another. The Mavs want to re-sign Wang but the word is they will not risk offending the CBA. Now if the CBA were to issue an ultimatum that it's either Wang or Yao, they would be in breech of contract with the Rockets. If the CBA thinks Stern can prevent an NBA team from signing Wang, they are wrong. Even if the players union were to let it go (and they might) the U.S. courts would decide in Wang's favor. China has a vested interest in getting their best players NBA experience because they desperately want to be in medal contention by the time they host the Olympics. Without Wang and Yao, does anyone give them a chance? This is BS from a writer that's trying to justify anti-China sentiment and that Yao at #1 overall was a reach. However, should Wang defect and the CBA freaks out, then the Rockets go to court in China, Stern calls for a moratorium from a Chinese citizen playing in the NBA (the owners would back him in this situation) and then we wait. It's difficult to believe the Chinese government couldn't find a better way to handle this, after all, it's in their best interest to do so. I'm e-mailing Bucher and ESPN right now. I hope the Chronicle doesn't mentioning this garbage without first checking it out. The Dallas Morning News probably will.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

That would be great if HP could give us some concrete details, although deckard does have a point about the writer talking out of his arse...he's probably just trying to fill space with something that can't be proven.
    ...HeyP...where are you!!!:D

17. crash5179

O.K. and what does this have to do with this thread? :confused:

18. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Ugh, this from Dime Smack on FOX.com:

"The situation between the NBA and China is getting dicier by the second. Rumors are flying that the Chinese will pull their approval for Yao Ming to play stateside if the NBA allows Wang Zhizhi to sign a lucrative deal after he nearly defected earlier this summer. You don't have to be from Texas to realize there is nothing like watching a Dallas team slowly screwing a Houston one."

Well, it is funny. But I still think this is BS until an NBA official or the Mavs or Rox acknowledge it.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Rockets did receive an official letter of clearance from the CBA and the Shanghi Sharks. Unless they intend to attempt to dissolve that signed agreement, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.

Besides, the NBA as an entity could care less about Wang or Yao coming to the US. Sure, they want the marketing, but as David Stern said prior to the Rockets getting an agreement, "Ask them (the CBA) if they've ever heard of Arvedius Sabonis." Sabonis was held out in Europe for many, MANY years and the league didn't fall apart is the essence of that message.

I think even China would admit that Yao playing in the NBA is far more important to China than it is to the NBA, particularly given the status of the first pick in the draft.

20. crash5179

Jeff,
    Have you heard any word on when the Rockets might ink Yao's name to a contract? I thought they were talking about doing it in Indy during the world games.

Do you know if this has been put on hold or if they are still planning it?