1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This game should prove that Lin has the skills to be the Rox primary ball handler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MartianMan, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

First off, I'm not saying the Lin needs to take all the shots or even take the last shot of the game. What I am saying is that Lin makes the right decision 80-90% of the time whether that is passing to the open guy or driving and kicking it out. Even when he was shooting poorly, he was only shooting when he was open (i.e. taking good shots). Jeremy Lin is a GENERAL. He controls the game, the pace, and gets the team involved. One part of being the GENERAL is that he needs to have the ball INITIALLY to set up plays for the TEAM. That doesn't mean he has to drive or shoot. He can pass it across court to force the opposing team to rotate and thereby opening shots for the whole TEAM.

Harden is an allstar talent who is undoubtedly better than Lin in most areas. However, his ISO plays consume a lot of his energy and allows defenses to focus in on his drives. It's evident that his defense suffers and his efficiency goes down. This is the case for all players even Lebron and Kobe. Having Lin be the primary ball handler will open up shots for the team (i.e. shots are more evening distributed), open up the lanes for Harden (i.e. easier shots for Hardin), and ultimately help Lin as well since he's a rhythm player that gets better the more he touches the ball.

The whole case of Hardin vs. Lin is idiotic. Having Lin play as the primary ball handler HELPS Hardin. It's obvious it helps Lin. I hope the coaches see that they are driving Hardin to the ground with their "plays".

1 person likes this.
  2. nono

nono Member

The best game was against the Hawks where things were going through Lin more. Having him stand in the corner for threes is really misusing him.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

But you haven't taken into the account the biggest X factor of them all....

The Coaching Staff

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Agreed, both are great ISO player, and yes Harden is better BUT..

Harden is much better off the ball than Lin is. Having harden play off the ball will maximise HardLin's overall output as a duo.

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Well said Martian, nice theory, but its gotta be more complicated than this otherwise the coaches would applied it long time ago....

6. Dei

Dei Member

I always thought he'd have to share it Harden. This is the first time, though, he's actually done something with the ball. In times past, even when he drove to the basket, he didn't finish - he'd usually pass it back out. Let me see him do it a few more games, then, I'll be ready to say he's the real deal.

7. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

If you watched the game carefully, Lin was actually still very passive to start this game. And he was also benched for a 1/3 of the first of the first quarter. It really wasn't until the third quarter that he decided to take over. He had two blown layups in the early stages of this game, two plus-one opportunities that he didn't convert, and two 3's with his foot on the line. Two blown layups (at least) by Asik and the TO at the end of regulation were just awful.

8. FearTheBeardJH

Rockets wins with Harden as a primary ball handler - 9
    Rockets wins with Lin as a primary ball handler - 0

9. TheChosen01

TheChosen01 Member

Signature: Jeremy Lin is a mediocre NBA point guard with limited upside.

I'm sure you are objective about this topic.

1 person likes this.
  10. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

EXACTLY!! Comparative advantage.

But you know its interesting I think Lin is getting better at the catch and shoot. I really do. Lots of times he and TD swapped roles and he got a lot of great feeds from TD. Maybe that can happen with Harden as well.

11. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Agreed.

1 person likes this.
  12. detso

detso Member

Don't get over sensitive. No one is saying Lin is better than Harden.

13. JK1

JK1 Member

This is true. I know you cannot just turn it on like a faucet, but he needs this mentality when the offense becomes stagnant and teammates cannot make a shot. I hope Jeremy can use this game to trust his jumpers and his drives, and not defer as much going forward in the season.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im not really even sure what this means here... Look, Pippen was the Bulls primary ball handler but the Bulls offense ran through Jordan mostly.

Lin or Harden as the ball handler or not bringing the ball up the court, the Rockets as a team just need better ball movement, and they must continue to improve consistently from 3 point land. The offense needs to be more fluid to get both Harden/Lin space to drive the lane, and when they do drive towards the basket, the shooters have to be in their spots ready to knock down shots.

Pretty simple stuff, but it takes years not weeks to develop that kind of chemistry with your teammates that you need to be a great team.

Anyways, we really shouldn't even be b****ing about the offense now anyways. That doesn't seem to be the problem with them winning games or not right now. Its on the other end that they should be concerned with.

15. JK1

JK1 Member

Just don't respond to the fool, he is a Lin troll from the NY forums - he doesn't have an opinion about Harden one way or the other. He wants to sucker those select Fool Lin fans (and select dumbass Rockets fans) to start a Lin vs Harden thing here, like what happened in NY.

16. JK1

JK1 Member

You mean Paxson, right ?? Regardless, you are talking about MJ, right ?? The offense is definitely a potential prob, it doesnt matter how many stops you make if you cannot score. Harden in this OT, would have made a big difference, don't you think? Rockets need Jeremy to get going offensively, you stop b****ing about people b****ing... the coaches got some FCKEN work to do - aight.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes, Harden would have made a difference in any game. He was the primary playmaker late in games last season for a team that went to the finals, and he's the best player on the Rockets currently.

Yes, I was talking about MJ, but more than anything I was trying to prove a point. Being the "primary ball handler" isn't something that concerns me. Yes, Pippen was the player the Bulls relied on to bring the ball up the court primarily to start the offense in the final championship years, but we all know who the offense was run through each and every play.

With Lin, I personally think he's at his best when he's more Jordan than Pippen in the sense that he's looking to get his own shot, and not just setup the offense, feed the post, and bring the ball up the court. Not comparing the these players to the greatest player of all time by any stretch. Lin is not like Jordan in any way.

To your point, late game offensive possessions are an issue right now, but my point is if they didn't have the "young team" defensive lapse that we have seen oh too much this season, they wouldn't have even been in a late game situation to begin with. They played too well offensively against the Spurs tonight to let that game or any other similar game slip. But that's why the Rockets should still be considered a young team that is going to F-up on the defensive end, and a team like the Spurs are the Spurs for a reason. They get it done in close games because of their experience, talent, & coaching.

18. JK1

JK1 Member

I hear you, and sorry for going off on you bro, dobro.

You mean John Paxson, not Pippen. Also, don't put words in my mouth, I implied Harden is not MJ.

Lastly, the coaches got some work to do - they need put Harden and Lin in a position where both can be productive offensively. That means less ISO Harden, and more Lin playmaking.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Perhaps...they should have Lin start the tempo of the game...either attacking for himself...and then going from there...Bc Harden is extremely adept and picking his own spots...

Ive said this before...Lin should run the offense...we all agree Harden is a better set shooter...than Lin...perhaps the Rockets should reverse Lin's usage vs Hardens...and maybe Lin and Harden get going...Harden is the least selfish player...he will easily adjust...

compare that with Carmelo...he and Lin couldnt play together...bc Carmelo really needs the rock to be effective...he is a lot like TMAC..

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

well lin wont be taking a majority of the shots so it doesnt matter.