1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This country is getting worse, not just economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Mar 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Those are signs that aliens are coming using the OP's logic.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Dude's got it rough.

Seriously? :confused: This reminds me of a Murphy Brown episode where some guy holds the news station hostage and goes on the air to read his demands and it's a ramblings about slow drivers....good stuff. I like how this thread has taken off.

3. rfila

rfila Member

I had to go and just come back.

The one you quote is sure a small simple size. I did not get my conclusion from just from this one. I said it was just one of the manything you see everyone. Besides, this is not a thesis, this is a discussion. It means you can add your observation to agree or counter the points I made.

As for the period(last two years), I do not think there are perceivable more cars on the high way now than two yeas ago. More people are using carpool and other alternative. And new lanes have been added. So the traffic should not be worse than two years ago.

Of course you have the good ones and bad ones. It is my observation the number of the bad ones are increasing. We may see different worlds, or we just see things differently.

I thought you were smarter than the guy who thinks his attention is all the reason I started this one.

4. rfila

rfila Member

seems so :(

5. rfila

rfila Member

I did not think I gave the best one. But I think it is one of those most people have seen.

6. rfila

rfila Member

happened to hurt someone's feeling. The eoconmy are running so bad, people are easily got upset with anything.( I myself even get upset with people repeatedly took cheap shots at me) I should have known how sensitive and vulnerable those guys are.

Thought it was just a D&D stuff. Did not really mean to hurt anyone. My bad.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There is a small silver lining that laid off people have some opportunity to wind down from fast paced and stressful jobs.

One book I enjoyed reading was Quirkology by Richard Wiseman. He's a psychiatrist who uses different studies to reveal correlations in behavior. It's light and easy popcorn reading, and it has several conversation starters.

Modern life: it's one step at a time, only much quicker
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article1733967.ece
    The pace of life is speeding up: scientists have discovered that pedestrians all over the world are walking faster than a decade ago.

An experiment conducted in 32 cities has revealed that average walking speeds have increased by about 10 per cent since 1994. Psychologists said the findings reflected the way that technology such as the internet and mobile phones had made people more impatient, leading them to cram more and more activities into a day.

The steepest acceleration was found in Asian “tiger” countries such as China and Singapore, which have experienced particularly marked social and economic change.

Pedestrians in these nations walk between 20 and 30 per cent faster than they did in the early 1990s. Singapore has the quickest walkers in the world.

London was the fastest-paced British city, but finished only 12th in the final league table, behind supposedly more laid-back cities such as Copenhagen (2nd) and Dublin (5th). Edinburgh was 20th, and Cardiff was 31st, ahead only of Berne, the Swiss capital, Manama (Bahrain) and Blantyre (Malawi).

Richard Wiseman, a professor of psychology at the University of Hertfordshire, who led the study, said that the results were significant because walking speed was a good indicator of the pace of people’s lives.

Previous research by Robert Levine, of California State University, who measured walking speeds around the world in 1994, has shown that they are linked to other indicators of behaviour and even health. As people move faster they become less likely to help others, and also tend to have higher rates of coronary heart disease.

Professor Wiseman said: “While the effect of stress itself is actually quite small, what happens is that as people get more stressed and hurried they spend less time with their friends, they don’t have time to exercise, they eat poorly, and they drink and smoke more. It’s these factors that build up to cause the risk.”

The researchers repeated Professor Levine’s 1994 experiment, in which pedestrians were timed over a 60ft stretch of pavement. For the 16 countries featured in 1994 and 2006, the average time taken fell from 13.76 seconds to 12.49 seconds. In Singapore pedestrians took 10.55 seconds, compared with 31.60 seconds in Blantyre.

The results are detailed in Professor Wiseman’s new book, Quirkology, which is published on Friday.

Slow down?

Do you seem to glance at your watch more than others?

When someone takes too long to get to the point, do you want to hurry them along?

Are you often first to finish at mealtimes?

When walking along a street, do you feel frustrated because you are stuck behind others?

Would you become irritable if you sat for an hour with nothing to do?

Do you walk out of restaurants or shops if you encounter a short queue?

If you are caught in slow-moving traffic, do you seem to get more annoyed than other drivers?

Five or more “yes” responses mean you should take your foot off the accelerator

www.quirkology.com

8. rfila

rfila Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

9. lalala902102001

Did you board Mayflower here? :D

I honestly don't think that the moality level in the U.S. society has decreased in the last couple of decades. It's people's perception that has changed.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I disagree, the Netherlands is the best country in the world :D. Unless in the next election the PVV wins the election than I'm going to move to Scandinavia.

There are many countries in the world that are great to life in. It depends on what you are used to. With the experiences I had with americans I know i would not like living in the US. Just a different culture that doesn't suit me. Of course that can also be said for you and the Netherlands.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My responses to Invisible Fan follow his remarks.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

LOL...well I didn't really laugh and it wasn't out loud, more like a silent chuckle. I was just being silly cause I think you're silly. No offense.

Seriously, you should travel the country and spend serious time in different regions. Things are so different depending on time and place.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

So not only is it morally wrong to drive too slow, but it's especially wrong because they're doing it to save gas? WOW! :eek:

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol your reaction may be exactly what he's talking about..

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this is a better sign of moral decay than people driving too slow in the fast lane. Why is that someone conserving their money and the environment by going slower is impolite while someone cursing a fellow driver because of a personal inconvenience is considered polite? I think the moral decay of thei country has finally gotten to rfila, and he doesn't know what's right anymore.

16. rfila

rfila Member

Other than Denver,CO and those big Texas cities, I have travel all the 30 most populated U.S. cities. So I think I know what I am talking about.

17. rfila

rfila Member

So, driving slow in fast lane to interrupt the traffic flow and cause the low using efficiency of the social resouces and waste other's time just for your minimal personal gain is fine with you, and people's negative reaction/opnion on this kind of junky bevior is not ok with you?

Based on your registration date, you are at least 10 years old. How you come up with such stupid and offensive reply is beyond me.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's his opinion, and you can disagree, but it's not stupid and offensive. You're way too defensive and touchy throughout this thread man.

And I totally agree that slow driving in the left lane is inefficient for the overall population and bad manners, but I also believe that people are just ignorant of that fact more than being selfish, though I don't doubt that selfishness factors in.

That said, learning the art of maneuvering through traffic helps things. And if the government would just abandon the whole crappy speed limit stuff, traffic would be better (assuming people know would learn how to drive).

And if you haven't been to either Texas big cities or Denver, you're missing out.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's not make it personal.

On the one hand, you have a population of people who drive slow inconsiderate of their impact on the efficiency of the road. On the other, you have a population of people who drive fast inconsiderate of their impact on the safety of others. Each thinks the other is incourteous. The deisred benefits on both sides are personal and minimal. You don't see the irony of this situation?

Besides that, it's ridiculous to take your perception of courteous driving as evidence of moral decay. I feel pretty certain that we've had inconsiderate drivers longer than you've been alive, much less in this country. Besides, I think the pictures of Indian traffic make a good point. There are places where the roads are so chaotic and the rules of the road so ignored that it can't help but reflect on its cultural environment. In an international context, our traffic makes us look like one of the most polite, cooperative places on Earth.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Maybe you should get outside the big cities. City life isn't for everyone. And I don't mean move to the suburbs, it's worse. Find a small town. I think you'd like the pace better, and you'll find people mostly more polite. I suggest Kerrville, TX, but there's thousands of great little small towns all over the country.

One warning, though. If you're upset with slow drivers in the fast lane, you might be even more upset with tractors on a two-lane highway.