1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Thinking Basketball] James Harden and the Greatest Scoring season ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, Apr 4, 2019.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Possibly. This video makes a case for it.

DFWRocket, plates300, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think if you asked him, he might point to Steph Curry's second MVP season as just as good a "scoring season". Both seasons are historical outliers if you plot them along Pts/Poss and TS% axes.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This was a very good video. Greatly appreciated.

Those who may not care, it doesnt really talke about Harden, but more a dialogue about trying to compare across eras.

Some great stuff in there.

4. BigMaloe

I mean, watch the video durvasa...

Always so quik to debate against Harden praise and provide a counter point.

He brings up curry when trying to analyze the greatest seasons ever. Harden is hardly the topic of this video.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I was just on basketball reference looking at Harden's stats.

As of right now Harden leads the league this season in:

PER
    +/-
    Win Shares
    VORP

ALSO stepping back even further Harden ALREADY is top 15 in career PPG.

He also is ALREADY top 15 all time in PER.

The hate Harden receives is just unbelievable. To deny his greatness is like denying the existence of gravity. It's just silly. Maybe when it's all said and done and Harden is retired from the game people are going to look at his stats and career and finally realize how great a player he was.

One can only hope.

Invisible Fan, slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  6. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

I can actually live with Harden not winning the MVP this year but deparately want to see Harden/D'antoni/Morey to win the chip. It's like cherry on the top but it wouldn't hur if he doesn't win it. The best justification for Harden's legacy is post-season success, period

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. durvasa

I watched the video last week when I posted a thread about it in NBA dish.

The OP posts a thread about Harden's season and only provides a video that he purports makes the case for Harden having the greatest scoring season ever. But the video doesn't really try to make that argument, as you yourself are acknowledging, and in fact it literally says: "Stephen Curry's 2016 season is probably the most bonkers scoring year ever where he lead the league in volume and efficiency."

So, what is the "point" made in the video that you think I was trying to counter?

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. BigMaloe

Fair enough, I didn't see your thread last week.

Is what provoked my response, because it's you trying to invite a curry vs harden debate as greatest of all time, which the video really wasn't about.

Which on an aside, kudos to you for admitting Hardens season is "just as good" as Currys.

Although, refraining to use such logic when arguing Giannis in the MVP debate leaves me bereft.

D-rock likes this.
  9. durvasa

Please scroll to the top of the screen and reread the title of this thread. If comparing Harden's season to other great scoring seasons is off limits in this thread, I don't know what to say.

To be clear, I didn't offer my opinion. I was talking about what the author of the video likely believes (and, in that regard, I was probably understating his enthusiasm for what Curry did that year).

There's nothing wrong with presenting support for both players' cases, which is what I try to do in a thread that makes the ridiculous claim that there is "no discussion" to be had about the MVP. Never said I think Giannis should win it. Only that he has a good case.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

His podcast is just as good. He is pretty impartial and tries to include all data/information in his takes/arguments.

11. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

To me, Giannis just a role player. He cant just take over games. The game have to come to him. This is why Harden is a way way better player than him. Everything he does affect the game.

hakeem94 likes this.