1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking about going to Buenos Aires to learn Spanish

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 3, 2010.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Bump

ATW-- did you ever end up doing this?

Any recommendations/tips for BA? Heading down there is Memorial Day weekend.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why not just learn Spanish in the states? Seems weird to travel just to learn a language.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

You have no idea how obnoxious this statement would sound to anyone not from the United States.

Plus, immersing yourself in a foreign culture is the best way to learn a foreign language.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

best way? sure. It is also a silly reason to move to a foreign country.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Never been, but going's on my bucket list. Truly an amazing city in an amazing country.

Argentinan accents are some of the worst though. I've studied Spanish for 6 years (granted only on a HS level), and I can barely understand Argentines.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. I just hung around the Home Depot parking lot for a while. Now I'm fluent in Spanish.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I went there last July for a short trip. Take lots of dollars and try to get a higher rate from the hotel. I think the rate when I was there was $4.5 ARG to $1 USD - but if you ask around you can get as high as $5 to $1 or even $6 to $1

Beware of the dog crap on the sidewalks. Make sure to visit Recoleta cemetery, I made a short trip there thinking I would be there for an hour or so and ended up staying nearly 6 hours. Most of the area around Recoleta is very high end.

The casa Rosada has free tours. The race track at Palermo. La Boca is hit and miss. Very touristy.

Manuel Leon buses run from Ezeiza to Puerto Madero right outside the downtown and they're really cheap. So try and take them if you want to save time and hassle.

8. carlosc

carlosc Member

I used apartmentsba.com and was pleased.

The women in BA and in Argentina in general are not the finest examples of Latin beauty I can think of offhand.

And I woud never, ever to go Argentina to learn Spanish. That's like going to Appalachia to learn English. If I were to pick a location in South America that a) speaks the most universal Spanish b) is a great place to be in general and c) has endless numbers of hot women I would without hesitation pick Colombia.