1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking about buying a Surface Pro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DudeWah, Nov 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I like the latest Mac refresh, my sp3 is looking kinda old. I will look at the surface laptop too. A lot of good hardware is coming out.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Chinese? I thought the company is based in Finland. In any case, the specs alone combined with the price will probably have me at least waiting for initial batches of production reviews to see what the pro's/con's are. I'm curious to see what Satya Nadella has to say about it since he said he wanted to test one out and they're sending him one. lol.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Samsung's latest Galaxy Book has gotten mediocre reviews, and initial buzz about the HP Spectre X2 aren't really hot but likely better than the Galaxy Book... point being, if Samsung and HP can't nail down the form factor, not sure if an indie can. Guess we shall see. I'm all for quality options out there - but I just haven't seen any in the form factor as of yet.

4. MystikArkitect

Drawboard PDF is the best.

srrm, Svpernaut and DudeWah like this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Bit the bullet. Pre-ordered the new i5 one. The no fan on the i5 really appealed to me. I'll let y'all know how I like it.

Kendrick Lamar and Svpernaut like this.
  6. Svpernaut

This is definitely the best native PDF markup app, and it works great on the Surface.

I'm going to review the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro before I decide on which to go for - the Pro is definitely the frontrunner though. I'm anxious to see if there is any throttling down on the fan-less i5 if it gets warm.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think the m3 doesn't have a fan on SP 4 and doesn't have throttling issues so hopefully it's the same for the new i5.

8. Svpernaut

Blake, srrm and youknowme like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

So, the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop came out today. Any of you brehs pick it up?

I'm interested in any comparisons between the two.

Specifically, the Laptop begins at the $999 price point, but there's also a Pro at the same price point with similar specs. Any pros/cons for picking one over the other?

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I'm thinking of trading in my lemon of a SP3 and get the new SP with 256GB/i5/8GB - it's currently valued at $1170 with student discount before trade in.
    Mulling it over tonight but will post if I get it

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Just got the i5/8gb/256. This thing is legit!

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Any specific place to buy this from, for the best deal?

Or just your standard websites/B&Ms like Amazon, BB, Target?

13. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

how much?

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I paid $1500ish with the type cover.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  15. Svpernaut

If you are a member of Microsoft Rewards and buy it from Microsoft Store you get 1 point for every dollar you spend in the store. Not a huge amount, but better than nothing. Same goes for Best Buy Rewards.

Price is going to be the same everywhere. If you order it from Newegg, you don't pay sales tax (unless you're in CA).

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

So, it's been about a week. And while that's definitely not enough time to accurately review technology, I want to hear everyone's thoughts!

@Svpernaut @kevC @srrm

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anybody know when the LTE versions are supposed to be released? I heard not until the end of the year. I was going to buy my parents one, but looking for one with LTE. I may just get them an iPad Pro and get myself one of these.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm actually first trying to get used to Windows 10. But the form factor of this is superb! Very much a smooth transition between laptop and tablet mode. I like it a lot. I haven't pushed it too hard yet but it stays pretty cool without a fan.

19. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

man, i'm about to be a student, and debating whether i should go ahead and buy this or go for just a cheaper laptop...

i also don't want a surface pro 5 to be released next year and feel like my model will be irrelevant..

but damn, this all is so expensive.

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Bought it! this thing is amazing!

Got $200 for trading in my lemon of an SP3 and a 10% student discount - I bought the extended warranty too ($140).

This thing is sooo smooth! No noise (!) even after installing a bunch of programs, and all my files transferred almost instantly!
    16GB of documents and 31GB of photos/videos:
    took 30+ minutes to copy off the lemon SP3 and onto a USB stick
    took 7 minutes to copy from USB onto this new SP

This is what I wanted that stupid SP3 to be - finally have a dream laptop; it was a pain to work or do anything on the old device; this one is a pleasure so far.

I kept my old pen and keyboard - will upgrade later on when they start to cause problems.

I tried out the i5 4GB in store: opened a few tabs on Edge, one video on youtube, and made a basic excel file to calculate how much each SP version would cost me - it was struggling to handle it - I definitely recommend buying at least the i5, 8GB if anyone is thinking about it.

#80 srrm, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017