1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think you’ll still be a die hard fan by the time we are contenders again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketStan, Jan 14, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It depends on how you watch sports...to a lot of people this isn't an accomplishment. Personally I would rather be in the dumpster and getting lotto picks every year than be on the mediocrity treadmill of over .500 with repeated first round exits or missed playoffs. In my opinion that is the worst spot you can possibly be in, worse than being the bottom team in the league. I'm not a "championship or bust" guy, I'm capable of enjoying years without championship wins and even view them as a success. I think the Harden era was very successful and I enjoyed it a lot. But being a 7-9 seed (unless you are a very young team on an upward trajectory) is the last place I would want to see my team. I'd rather win less than 10 games than be in that spot.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Die hard Rocket fan since the 70’s.... I’m backing off the Rockets until Tilman sells the team.

Use to blame D’Antoni and Morey for Ultra small recreational center league size team. Now I know it’s the brain
    child of Tilman or Pat F.

Rockets owners acting like the Cowboys owners (Jerry Jones and son) minus the, “No spending limits,”

Learn the NBA game. Reminds of me of the Kings owner that wanted to play 4 offensive players with one defender
    always positioned on the defensive end, because they did that in his kids junior league.

jayydela likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There is a reason the Rockets are routinely one of the top 5-10 profitable NBA franchises. Being consistently good where you consirtenrly have some amount of nationally televised games brings awareness to your franchise. You are in the news more often. You are relevant. There are franchises that over the span of a decade probably had 1 or 2 ESPN or TNT games a season. Being relevant is important.

When you are in the running for the playoffs, your fanbase had hoped and desires. There is optimism that this MIGHT go somewhere. This generates more viewership and sales. Rings are important hence why we are seen as a better franchise than the Jazz who have a similar track record of sustained competence. But look at the Jazz. It's a franchise that is seen as one of the better franchises in the league and it as no rings. Being consistently good matters.

Rockets never get the stigma of being bottom dwellers. Even the great Celtics franchise were seen as that during the 90s and early 2000s.

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'll always follow the Rockets. The way the last 18 months have went does not give me any joy to watch right now.

Will take some time before I warm up to the team.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... Unfortunately this is the reality. Houston got extremely lucky before the draft changes to have back 2 back number 1s after trading Malone to get Sampson and Hakeem... It's going to take some time, I mean it honestly has been surprising on this franchise's history. We basically have been spoiled 80-90s (4 finals - and even managed the 2 wins from those after the coke fallout and injury to Sampson).

And then with Harden - I mean it's not like he was going up against an avg team when he lost to GSWs, no one else's team/franchise etc had close to the success harden had when they were fully loaded with Durant. Unfortunately Yao's one time he advanced looked like he had a shot and - basically career ending injury 2nd round.

I am not looking forward to Tilman's ownership but it's going to be a few years regardless and maybe by then he'll either run the franchise better or.... Sell it. I'm not about to quit now but the cost of time to get back does suck.

Reeko likes this.
  6. markelliott1997

Absolutely. Fair weather fans aren't fans at all.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Have you witnessed a Rockets Championship as a Rockets fan and been over 12 years old when it happened?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

I remember when the rockets won the ship in the mid 90s but wasn't old enough to grasp it's entirety and appreciate the game as I do now

9. don grahamleone

I figured. Chips are where it's at, not chasing the dangling carrot. I hope you see one soon.

10. Mr. Space City

Of course. I'm from Houston born & raised, and will always root for the home team, despite cheap ass Tillman Fertitta.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

fortunately, I'm able to realize that won't be happening anytime soon

12. don grahamleone

That's the spirit! Let hopelessness prevail!

Verbal Christ and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

correction reality and realization

15. don grahamleone

Wow so hope is never on your horizon? I feel bad for you. For someone with an inspiring name like You Only Live Once, you sure have a negative outlook on life. Call it realist if you'd like, but it's still hopeless and incapable of seeing that luck might turn and go your way.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was 15 and got F'd up cruising down Richmond Ave!! It was so much fun. More fun than the parade itself it was WILD!!

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

when you're able to take all things into account that go into all of this, hope means next to nothing. and yeah it's a realist

18. don grahamleone

You're so delightful. That never can get it done attitude is amazing. The refusal to see the light that IS there in a dark place is just.. well.. blind. That's not being a realist. A realist sees the draft picks and knows that even though it's the end of an era, there's a new era beginning. You, my friend, are what we call a pessimist. Everything is bad for you. You can see no light. That's not real, that's real stupid. It's ignorant of the bigger picture. It lacks insight and forward thinking. But keep on believing in your impossible world. Eventually you'll look around and realize... you were right all along. And the outside world will look at you and say.. you did this to yourself with your attitude.

Wake up, millennial! There's still a world to live in and it includes basketball even though your team changed. There are other players, GMs, coaches.. and they all have abilities that are unique. Abilities with potential for something other than self destruction which you seem hellbent to visualize.

Get off your computer and go listen to the birds chirp outside. They're trying to tell you something... life goes on.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

the never can get it done attitude comes from the current state of the rockets. and all things that go into the organization. that's nothing to look pass. I disagree. what light are you seeing that you're trying to tell us is there. the glimmer of hope that the rockets get another mvp player in the next decade is a mere generous outlook. But apparently the hope that you're trying to put on folks is the only thing we should be doing. plain and simple its called being a realist over being fake and delusional. you can choose the latter w/ the Mr. Rogers everything is fine outlook. I'm certainly not

20. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Shouldn't we all be worried about living long enough for the team to contend again?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.