1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to do in Houston and Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by watashi315, May 19, 2015.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

perhaps both

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Dude asked things to do, not show how sensitive and worked up you can be about one city vs. another.

If you have no preference on what you're looking to do, take in a view at Mount Bonnell, or at the Oasis as mentioned above.. or some Green Belt hiking is enjoyable.... you can get a beverage and take in the view at the Oasis, enjoy an afternoon at centrally located Zilker park... obviously you can always go out for a few beverages and some live music at 6th street. There are a number of different segway tours though I've never done them, and the bats at Congress Street Bridge fly from March thorugh October, though most would say that's best in the Fall, I believe. All that said, here's one calendar of Memorial Day Weekend events in Austin I found with a quick search...

As for Houston, it's got everything... myself, if I were going for the first time, I'd hit the Museum district, as some of the best displays of fine art in the world are located there. Also, while there are some really great places to eat in Austin, Houston again has it all, and enough of it that there aren't usually lines around the world to get in, as is the case at some of the best places in Austin. "Fine" dining aside, if I were going there, I'd eat at Pappy's one day and Jake's the next, cuz that's just great food.

Houston is a big place, there's a dozen good calendars for events this weekend, but here are a couple from the official visitor's site and Eventbrite. Of course, if you're going to be there this weekend, might I suggest a certain place where there's a big event or two happening...

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go to ut campus area and get bbq and freedmen's bar

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hit up J Mueller's or LA BBQ in Austin. Franklin not worth the 4-hour wait

Enjoy some rooftop patio drinking on West 6th or pour a nice pitcher of Shiner at Crown and Anchor near campus.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Salty Sow, Magnolia Cafe, Guero's...

6. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I will be in the ATX on Sunday. Hopefully not raining ....

7. VanityHalfBlack

North Houston is so much fun. Endless expedition, a trail of troll hunting if you must.

8. watashi315

watashi315 Member

So apparently it looks like there may be heavy rain/t-storms this weekend in both Houston and Austin. Are there any good indoor types of things to do in Houston?

Also, I see a lot of Austin recommendations but what about Houston? Last time I checked, this is a Rockets fan forum so I'm surprised by a lack of Houston suggestions for food and play.