1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

things to do in downtown..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by killtaker, May 10, 2004.

1. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

i have a couple of cousins from nyc that'll be visiting houston this upcoming weekend.. they'll be staying at the Hilton near MMP in downtown (and they'll be stuck there with no transportation). do yall have any suggestions on what to do?

on sunday, they've already planned to catch the Clemens VS. Mets game on Sunday.

but what else can they do?? *remember, they're restricted to downtown*

-best barbecue and/or steak joint?
    -martini joint?
    -any concerts or festivals this weekend?
    -best crawfish joint?
    -strip clubs?
    -anything else interesting to do during the day?

thanks in advance for the suggestions.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Free crawfish on Sunday at Live Sports Cafe. Best place downtown, IMO.

Good BBQ at some joint down Texas, past 59 from MMP. Wouldn't be too long a walk.

3. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

The bulk of Houston’s nightlife is concentrated in two sections of the city, Downtown and Uptown — the Post Oak/Westheimer/Richmond area — but local pubs, sports bars, night clubs, movie theaters and restaurants can be found in almost any neighborhood in the city.

Downtown

The Downtown area is going through a flourishing rebirth. Minute Maid Park on the outskirts of downtown and Bayou Place in the heart of the Theater District have impacted local businesses, giving restaurants and nightspots a whole new clientele to cater to. It is possible now to walk down the street and come upon a jazz club, a dance club and a local pub all within a few blocks.

The Theater District in downtown Houston is home to many world-recognized theater arts groups including the country’s third oldest resident theater, fifth largest dance company, and fifth largest opera company. The Theater District also houses concert halls that have featured such diverse names as Smashing Pumpkins, Yes, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett and George Jones.

For a meal before or after your play or concert, the Market Square in the downtown area is a short walk from the Theater District and houses restaurants of many different cuisines and styles. From Tex-Mex to Vietnamese, just about any taste can be found here.

If you aren’t too tired, there are many downtown nightclubs that promise to keep you up and dancing till the early morning with retro, rhythm and blues, and hip-hop music or, if you prefer to wind down, a coffeehouse is the perfect place to end an invigorating night in downtown Houston.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Thelma's

5. killtaker

sweet!! thanks guys... keep it coming...

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

The Alley Theatre is definitely a good move. Might be a little expensive but it aint the telly. Right now they're doing A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

http://www.alleytheatre.org/Alley/Calmonth.asp?snid=333163339

Also, Kemah is awesome around this time of year. I live a little closer than downtown but a Satuday afternoon on the boardwalk is relaxing as... metaphor machine's broken right now.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

is that right?? holy crap, how come I didn't know that??? i freaking love Live....

plus..you can see the train, RM95!! :p :D

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

For Mexican, take them to Pappasito's...

For Cajun, I'd probably go to Zydeco's downtown, but on the weekend, I'd go to Pappadeaux...

For drinks, State Bar, Suede Lounge, Opus Lounge...

For Adult Entertainment...Treasure's...

9. allan

allan Member

Alice's Tall Texan just a little North of Dwntwn on North Main street. I believe they can take the Main street bus directly there. Very cool little dive bar with $1.50 shiner or 1.25 Lone Star. Also The Lone Star Saloon is DWNTWN, Dave Atelle (sp?) from Insomniac went there when he went to Houston. Also they can catch a number 3 bus and head to Cecils on west gray and Stanford in Montrose. Also featured on Insomniac.

During the day maybe take the train down to museums on binz and main MFA and CAM are both right there. Or the Alabama bus to The Menil Collection. A must see Houston treasure. and it is free.

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Saturday Night on Main is pretty wild. You have all the clubs right their near Preston. Also Live Sports is a good place to get the party started. I go to Saba to get a good drink also. Both places are near Preston and Main. No strip clubs downtown. I think there is an ordinance against SOBs downtown. But going to M Bar is pretty much like going to a strip club on Saturdays anyway, lol.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The Hilton will shuttle them to the Original NINFA's on Navigation if they want some good Tex Mex and rocking Ritas.

12. droxford

droxford Member

13. killtaker

MFA- Museum of Fine Arts

What the heck is CAM?

14. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Word up on Alice's Tall Texan.

The $1.25 Lobe Star is served in these ice cold heavy-ass glass goblets. 16 ozs I beleieve...can't beat the price.

I love that place.

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

good advice. couldn't agree more about the menil- it's one of renzo piano's nicest buildings. for the new yorkers: he's designing the new TIMES building.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cecil's ain't around anymore. :(

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

They shouldn't be too far from the light rail. It takes them all the way to the dome so they can possibly go to the zoo or herman park as well. For nightlife I'd recommend jumping on the rail and going to Pangea on saturday nights. It's where the R&R used to be. The lightrail stops right there i believe. It's a good mixed crowd. Free crawfish at live is great but since they'll be at the game I doubt they will be able to catch that. Other good clubs are all up and down Main near prairie. There should be a hotel shuttle that would take them to treasures I'm sure. Asian restaurants up near Milam and elgin.

18. allan

allan Member

CAM

Contemporary Arts Museum

Forgot that Cecils aint around sorry :(

19. killtaker

Strong work, men. Thanks a lot!!

20. Buck Turgidson

Just re-opened.