1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things that suck!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Is your name Simon?

[​IMG]

Xerobull and Surfguy like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Umm...water heaters. I have a Rheem under warranty that is 6 years old and leaking from the bottom. I replaced the plastic drain valve with a brass ball drain valve thinking that was it...as so many said that was a problem and I even saw a drip. But, nope, refilled the tank under pressure after installing brass valve and here comes the water out the bottom. So, drained again and called Home Depot who installed it. Turns out it is still under warranty...so new tank. What's not under warranty...labor. How much? More than the price of the water heater at a minimum of $800 before any additional parts/labor. The tank is f-ing $750. But, I guess that's better than $1600 for buying a new tank and installing. A water heater shouldn't leak at year 6. These things should last 15 years. The older water heaters from back in the day before all the tech gadgetry was added seemed to go for longer. I don't care if I never drained it. There was barely any sediment in there when I did drain it. I caught it with a sock and it was miniscule amount. I guess I'm lucky I got the warranty coverage at all. Water heaters are easy to f-ing install to be that expensive. So, you have to lift it into the attic and plumb the T&P valve to the PVC drain pipe. Big deal. If I do it myself, then I lose the remaining 3 years of the warranty and I think I may need that. I could also just buy a new one with a warranty reset and install it myself for free but there's a city permit (which is $80) and I think it's for licensed installers (i.e. a real plumber). So, I'd have to do it on the down-low but I know I'm likely in code as the last one was installed six years ago. Just need help getting it in the attic as it requires two people. I'm strong as **** right now but don't think I want to tackle this one by myself. But, then warranty won't be satisfied on condition of not installed by professional so warranty invalidated. I also believe there is a direct correlation between how high you set the temperature of the water heater and how long the water heater lasts. The higher the temp...the quicker the wear-out. I like my water hot (like my Kung Pao; Surfguy likes spicy chicken). Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here. Last thing...that property tax saving this tax year...well it's already been spent on the boringly unpredictable. It comes...it goes. It all evens out in the end.

Now, re-read above and pretend you're reading it as Jack Nicholson's character (Melvin Udall) in "As Good As It Gets" with every sentence ending in an exclamation point instead of a period. That was the tone I was going for. lol

#62 Surfguy, Nov 8, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    ROCKSS, boomboom and larsv8 like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

+1 on plumbers - spent a grand on **** with them this week.
    - Allergies
    - tires, ugh!
    - A reliable handyman, I keep getting ghosted.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

After getting horrible service from Abacus and John Moore I found these guys and they are fair and honest (so far)....just had them replace my shower hardware.........first place that would even give me a ball park figure after I sent them a pic.

https://joetheplumber.net/

larsv8 likes this.
  5. Surfguy

So, they show up with the water heater and it's same model from before but it's changed dimensions slightly...enough to reseat the vent pipe and needing it to be sealed up! Now the repair guy has to come out! So, I'm up to $1500 to install a replacement water heater covered by warranty! And, since it's raining, they didn't install it so my roof wouldn't leak post-install...until I can schedule the vent seal around their install and around the rain! So, now I have to wait another 5 days at least for hot water and I can't even really take a cold shower because the faucets don't work without hot water as their single knob and need PRESSURE! So, I'm down to sponge baths without the hot nurse! I'm going to start boiling water and carrying the pails of hot water to the bath tub like it is 1800!

This ain't right, Jerry. Oh no! They're plunging the knife in the back and pullling it out the front from the front. It's not right, Jerry! I can't win!

[​IMG]

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ridiculous!

Speaking of water heaters, why do home builders put water heaters in upstairs attics? So when they burst you can achieve maximum water damage?

It happened in our last house and water started coming out of our bedroom celling fan at 3 in the morning. Had to replace all the drywall in our celling. Then in our current house it happened and we had to replace all the carpet in my wife's closet.

boomboom, ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why God invented basements

10. Buck Turgidson

Tankless for the upstairs bathrooms, Tank downstairs for the kitchen, laundry, master bath

11. SuraGotMadHops

Hate this!!! Every water heater will blow at some point, I live in constant fear of this happening. And these days homeowners insurance just looks for any reason they can find to work against you and under value or even entirely deny your claim.

Actually add that to the list, insurance companies are a damn crock. They work against the insured, not for them.

Ubiquitin, ROCKSS and ima_drummer2k like this.
  12. Surfguy

The city permit is $80 for installing a water heater. They must be making a killing. They want their piece, too. Guy comes out, looks for two seconds, and hands you a signed permit! Keep this with your documents. Yes, sir! They say it’s code to replace the gas parts with every install. Just tack it on!

[​IMG]

#72 Surfguy, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

I replaced my 2 tanks upstairs with a tankless last year. Definitely reassuring that it won't blow and spill into our bedroom again. But man it takes a long time to get hot water depending on how far away you are from it. Luckily our bathroom and the kids bathrooms are right near it, but it takes me running the water in the kitchen sink for 5 minutes before it gets hot - especially if it's cold outside. And Houston water ain't cheap.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

You pay and pay and pay and pay them for years. Then you have the audacity to file a claim and they deny you and then cancel your policy.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Show me a basement in Houston and I’ll show you an underground swimming pool.

16. ima_drummer2k

[​IMG]

Xerobull, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know, wrong forum but...

The Clippers really suck.
    [​IMG]

On getting old, the health stuff does suck. The accumulation of responsibilities, especially for the even-older members of an extended family definitely sucks. The way you get overlooked at businesses and restaurants really hits you... But I like a lot about getting past 50. I'm so much more chill and able to deal with things than ever before. Nothing is really my first rodeo. And I offer my students a kind of reassuring presence in a difficult world at least. I've got over 100 right now, and they are amazing and give me hope for the world, despite all the things that suck.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the health stuff and I can almost literally feeling myself declining everyday. Last night was feeling kind of sick and I tweaked my ankle so passed on going to see a good friend from Milwaukee's ska show. Was thinking even 10 years ago wouldn't have skipped that.

Woke up this morning having trouble walking and ended going to urgent care with a seriously inflamed foot. While I was waiting for the doc was glancing at my vitals. BP 128 over 75 Pulse rate 71. Not bad but I remember 20 years ago having a BP of 90 over 70 and a resting pulse of 44. I'm a long way from that and having under 10% body fat.

I agree with you about being more chill and having more perspective about things as I'm getting older. I've also had the benefit of good genes and have almost always looked younger than my age. I still get mistaken for being in my 30's. That isn't always a good thing as I don't think I'm taken as seriously professionally.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Yep. I've gotten the "younger than my age" for as long as I can remember.

My newest escapade was forgetting which truck I was driving, getting out of the driver's seat expecting a steprail to be there, and then saying "oh ****" as my left leg (the bad knee) went an unexpected extra distance before jamming on the ground. Knee looked like a cantaloupe for a few days. Big fun.

B-Bob likes this.