1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's Really NOTHING WRONG with USING Performance Enhancing Drugs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SSP365, Aug 5, 2013.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So mostly natural and healthy choices is the same as unnatural and dangerous choices?

Working harder is a fair advantage.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Is it fair to say what is set as Rules of a sport is the boundary of that sport; and athletes competing in that sport are cheating for taking actions outside of that boundary - i.e. not allowed by the Rules? Vitamins are protein supplements are allowed substances by the Rules, while steroids are not. Then is taking steroids cheating? Is there any question to that?
    To your point that drugs like steroids are no different than protein supplements, I think there are. Simply put, if there aren't, why so many take steroids? Please do provide specific scientific support to your argument to enrich this debate - I am interested to know.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Use of the word "dangerous" goes back to my Reefer Madness comments. I believe the evidence doesn't support that accusation.

All of the sports supplements that people take are way more unnatural than testosterone, which is naturally found in your blood and is produced by your body. That having been said, "naturalness" is bogus. Opium is 100% a "natural" product of the opium poppy. Does that make it good?

4. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Answers to your questions have already been detailed in my posts. Specifically look for "moral rules" vs "procedural rules". If your problem is simply the rules, we can change them and both of us will be happy.

5. juicystream

Synthetic testosterone is not natural. Extremely high levels are not natural. I don't say all supplements are natural, but that was a small part of what you brought up.

So you think steroids are not dangerous? You consider it all propaganda?

6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

"Synthetic testosterone"... so you are happy if it is extracted from natural plant and animal sources? I didn't bring up "natural". I was responding to others who brought it up.

I think there is a large element of propaganda. The example I provided is Lyle Alzado's assertion that he got brain cancer from taking steroids, which the media repeated ad nauseum. It has no basis in fact.

7. juicystream

Destroyed is obviously subjective. People have lost jobs, had reputations ruined, and so on. These things have severe effects on people. In the case of Lance Armstrong, I'd certainly consider it a fair term.

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Give me a name and we can attempt to reduce the subjectivity.

9. juicystream

Perhaps. Testosterone gained from eating a plant or animal would certainly be natural.

This is the first I'm ever hearing of Lyle Alzando or steroids being tied to brain cancer.

10. juicystream

Google them for yourself, if you want to reduce your own subjectivity.

11. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I have and they don't exist. You are the one making the claim of "lives ruined".

I'm going to work, which means I won't be able to respond for aprox 12 hrs.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, your arguments is that taking drugs is not "cheating" because drugs provide similar enhancements to those provided by, say, power powders. Well, to be honest, I really don't know the truth to that scientifically. Again, by my common sense (please don't take it as an effort to disparage your argument), taking vitamins, protein supplements is a permissible part of training that is out of the question whether they constitute cheating at least because they don't provide immediate enhancements to one's performance in a sport competition that makes difference between winning and losing, roughly speaking, and they are probably safe.

13. juicystream

Interesting. They are all liars according to you.

I can't trust Lance Armstrong's former associates and I can't trust the FDA.

I've always understood not to believe everything I hear, but now I know to believe nothing that I hear.

14. SSP365

SSP365 Member

THESE ATHLETES ARE ALREADY TAKING PEDS!!!

EVERY SINGLE SPORT'S GOVERNING BODIES HAVE THEIR OWN SET OF PEDS THAT ARE LEGAL TO TAKE AND NOT LEGAL TO TAKE WITHOUT ANY REAL MEDICAL JUSTIFICATION.

ITS ALL ARBITRARY.

15. SSP365

SSP365 Member

so what if they didnt result in penalties? the procedure kobe got done is illegal in the U.S. but legal in germany. you are missing the point, why would you make a drug or procedure illegal if it can help our athletes heal?

what is your medical justification of banning those substances?

im glad you didnt have your way. the home run derby was amazing and it was entertaining which is the entire point of professional sports. They arent running for president or for pope. they are playing sports.

nobody is forcing these athletes to take peds. ken griffey last time i checked had a great career and was one of the few stars who everybody agrees didnt roid up. all that talk of if you legalize it it will force everybody to take it is pure nonsense.

these are grown men. they are the ones risking their lives to put on a better show not you sitting behind a key board pretending to be some arbiter or moral compass of society. These guys have a short window to take advantage of their physical prowess and augment it with products made by the ingenuity of mankind so they can perform at at their job better.

who the F are you to say they cant do that?

that's not for you to decide. If a guy wants to gorge himself to morbid obesity he has that right. If a guy wants to drink himself to death he has that right. If a guy wants to take a drug made by mankind so he can perform at his job better and make good money in order to provide for his family HE HAS THAT RIGHT.

You are no moral compass.

America loves to preach freedom, capitalism, and the pursuit of liberty and happiness yet with it loves to infringe on people's rights and freedom.

what about them? plenty of clean successful athletes. Derek Jeter has done pretty well for himself.

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I've run into this problem before, SPF300, and I feel it's my duty (having worked with and dealt with many an idiot) to inform you that you're just outright stupid.

In fact, you're so stupid that you can say these stupid things and have everyone call you stupid, but you think that they're the stupid ones. That's how much of an idiot you are.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about, a lot of people are stupid.

I could sit here all day and talk to you about rules, and fairness, and integrity, but the poor, plain fact of the matter is that you're too much of a simpleton to understand.

I don't know if you're stupid because you're fifteen and don't know any better, or if you're one of those idiots who somehow managed to survive to adulthood while still remaining stupid. What I do know is that I don't care, and you're stupid.

Adjust the straps on your helmet, and let this dumbass thread fall to page 2.

2 people like this.
  17. SSP365

SSP365 Member

[​IMG]

wow, look at this angry cockmunk maggot.

great elaborate rebuttal. good job staying on point and proving me wrong. Multiple lines of calling someone stupid instead of addressing the topic at hand.

Hopefuly they develop a PED one day to cure you of your mental midgetry.

now piss off you cvnt hawk.

18. SSP365

SSP365 Member

excellent post especially the overstated side effects of peds.

A lot of those listed side effects (the first response in this thread) are just THE POSSIBLE side effects:

Those are JUST POSSIBLE side effects. POSSIBLE.

There is inherent risk is every drug, behavior, food even a certain lifestyle. You take a risk anytime you do anything.

Just to give an example. I personally use the drug Trazadone to help me sleep.

Here are the side effects of trazadone:

Blurred vision; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; muscle aches or pains; nausea; nervousness; stomach
    pain; stuffy nose; tiredness.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; bloody or dark urine; chest pain; decreased coordination; fainting; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; new or worsening agitation, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, trouble sleeping, or inability to sit still; prolonged, inappropriate, or painful erections; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness or tiredness; shortness of breath; speech problems; suicidal thoughts or actions; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; symptoms of low blood sodium levels (eg, confusion, persistent headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, unsteadiness, sluggishness, personality changes); tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual weight changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of the eyes or skin.

Guess how many of these side effects, I've experienced?

One. Stuffy Nose.

the fact is half of them are fabricated, a few aren't even true, some side effects never even occur in certain people, and the rest while do occur are not life threatening and can be treated and prevented rather easily.

And yet, I've yet to see one single corpse produced where the sole cause of death for a person was the use of anabolic steroids. Not a single one.

the American Medical Association who testified at the behest of congress that the inherent health effects related to steroids weren't dangerous or significant enough to warrant them being regulated.

Legalizing PEDs would actually not only level the playing field but also make it safer for athletes because you can make them meet regulatory guidelines in terms of quality, safety, and effectiveness. The fact that it is illegal, done in the dark and there are no quality control or safety standard prerequisites makes it dangerous and harmful to athletes.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

REGULATION?

NAH LIKE YOU SAID BRAH.
    If people want to eat themselves, drink themselves, or shoot themselves to death then they have the right to.

No regulation, just give athletes copious amounts of anabolic steroids and just let them have at it. Regulation? STOP INFRINGING ON MY RIGHTS TO SACRIFICE MY LONG-TERM HEALTH DUE TO PUBLIC PEER PRESSURE TO "GAIN AN EDGE".

Level the playing field is a ridiculous argument. If you ban the substance many athletes will choose not to do it. Maybe they want to play it safe, whatever. If you legalize it, even with regulation, that will FORCE everyone to take steroids. This isn't mar1juana. This is a PED. The only reason athletes take it is for the edge, not for the recreational pleasure.

You're also inviting little kids to start experimenting with anabolic steroids as well. Sure, you can put an age limit, but once kids realize that anabolic steroids will become a legal option later in life they are going to be more prone to start early.

#79 RedRedemption, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member