1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's Really NOTHING WRONG with USING Performance Enhancing Drugs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SSP365, Aug 5, 2013.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i kind of agree with the OP.

i mean... have we all seen the side effects of prescription drugs? this whole country is on blood pressure meds, pain meds, adderall, yadda yadda...

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Im not advocating it, but a professional athlete is a grown man, already risking his health in the case of some sports like football, if he wants to take PEDs, who am I to stop him? Its his body.

3. Major

Major Member

Sure - and everyone would have to use them and destroy their long-term health to have a chance to be a professional athlete. If you don't care about the health of people, then sure, legalize it all. But I think we as a society think that's fairly stupid.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Thats another set of rules ddesigned on naive premises. PEDs, flopping, they're all methods to win that we deem impure because we bbelieve in the myth of fair play and the iintegrity of the game. Most players will do anything to win, why pretend otherwise?

Also, what makes ssome PEDs banned and others not? Why do wr just arbitrarily decide what a professional athlete can and cannot take?

5. Major

Major Member

I don't think we as a society think people should have to suffer heart damage and other such medical problems to play professional baseball.

Beyond that, if professional athletes are required to take them, then you'll have college athletes and high school athletes feeling the need to take them to get to that level. Those people are not grown men and certainly won't be educated about the risks they are taking.

6. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - why have any rules in sports? Why not allow anything-goes, since people will do anything to win?

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Seriously. We're looking at a serious threat to the NFL as a franchise with the whole head thing because of what the NFL does to its players long-term. But now we're going to go around and then basically mandate ( and yes, mandate. Because those who don't want to take them will be forced to compete with those who do.) that NBA athletes should take drugs which have seriously potential to damage their mental stability.

Oh, and OP is continuing his 15-year old delusion of SCIENCE and PROGRESS. We don't have to worry about the side effects of drugs guys, because we've evolved and are so much better than the stupid people of yesterday!

Because sports are a game, genius. Games are supposed to be fair, and games will have their rules changed depending on what is the best way to make things fair. Heck, LA will always have an advantage over OKC in the salaries. Therefore we shouldn't bother to pretend that it's fair otherwise and abolish all CBA rules so that they can buy up all the good players.

1 person likes this.
  8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Quite stupid to compare a regular job with being a pro athlete. The standards are completely different but you have to be able to kick a ball to know PED's will never be legal or accepted by any sporting body. Ofcourse, if you sit on your ass watching others as a fan with no first hand knowledge, you'll have a dif opinion.

9. SSP365

SSP365 Member

Do you even follow professional sports?

Every single athlete uses some form of peds. Every single sport's governing bodies allow athletes to use peds they deemed legal without any medical justification whatsoever.

Athletes havent been free of medical chemicals since the 50s.

Using peds has been part of sports since it went commercial.

Primatene: performance enhancer.
    Baking Soda: performance enhancer.
    Creatine: performance enhancer.
    Caffeine: performance enhancer.
    Cocaine: performance enhancer.
    Vicodin: performance enhancer.
    Tylenol with Codeine: performance enhancer.
    Aspirin: performance enhancer.

Every time an athlete gets a pain shot or an anti-inflammatory shot before taking the field, that's an example of using performance enhancing drugs.

Each sport has a list of peds they deem that are ok to take and not ok to take.

ITS ALL ARBITRARY.

ohh look its the phony bible thumping jesus freak masquerading as an atheist.

you want to get destroyed in this thread too just like in the do you believe in god thread?

Ill be back later to address the rest of your drivel.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's about side effects - most notably effects that do damage to the body and long-term health.

Sports leagues have to sell their product to parents and kids. And Parents won't want to let their kids go watch athletes who are rewarded for doing things that have short term benefits but catastrophic long term health effects.

It's about health of kids, because athletes are the role models here - not anyone else.

11. Major

Major Member

Except it's not.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Nicotine and caffeine are both stimulants. Therefore, there is no difference health wise between smoking and drinking coffee.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The side effects of most of these are WAY overblown. I remember when Lyle Alzado died and blamed everything including brain cancer on the steroids he was taking. I was young and believed it at the time. In retrospect, I see that his beliefs had absolutely no basis in fact, but all the media ran with those claims unquestioningly.

The risk of the novel drugs that people start taking to avoid detection is much greater than old fashioned things that they started banning like straight up testosterone. The other major problem is with the dosage regimes that some of the athletes are on because they are having to do it "on the sly" and don't know any better.

The greatest harm reduction would occur if they required athletes to take the drugs under the care and supervision of league approved MD's. You wouldn't see people taking 10x too much or taking funky, new, unknown compounds. Concurrently, introduce permanent lifetime bans for anybody who does it outside the system.

They would still be doing PEDs exactly like they are doing now, they just would be doing them in a way that was much safer for the players.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

quite stupid? i'd have to know how to kick a ball? sitting on my ass? what are you, 12?

15. Major

Major Member

Except then everyone would be doing them, instead of the small minority of athletes doing them now. All the speculation that "everyone does it" is just not supported by the evidence.

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

In sports the athletes who aren't using them are going to be at a disadvantage. This means taking them will be mandatory, probably leading to bigger and riskier ones being developed, leading to higher health risks. This is bad for sports in general.

In real life, go ahead and juice up, I really don't care.

17. SSP365

SSP365 Member

peds are not the cause of nfl head injuries. you can blame the modern nfl helmet which has become weaponized and the league's late action to changing the tackling rules which they are now doing ( barring helmet to helmet hits/hits to the head).

how do you know this?

there is no drug you can make to make you play like michael jordan or make you break the single season home run record.

Sports require skills not just physical ability. You have to work hard and hone those skills.

wtf???

again, how do you know this?

There are drugs out there being pushed by pharmaceutical companies that cause suicidal tendencies and a host of other side effects (which they say in the commercial) yet you make claim of ped use causing mental instability among nba players? lmfaooo

If you're a professional athlete you are either doing it A) because you love it, B) because you love the money or C) Both.

Why would you NOT want to do everything you can to make sure you'll be competitive and can continue competing?

There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to enhance their performance be it on the field, in the ring, in the classroom or in the bedroom.

The problem arises when there are people who are apprehensive about trying new methods or outright refuse to use drugs to enhance their performance, cry foul when someone else isn't natural like they are.

For some reason there are people that sympathize with these whiners like yourself and that's why they are banned/illegal and have a negative image.

IMO, if you are apprehensive about using a drug or an unconventional method to enhance your performance, then clearly it isn't very important to you. Because if it was, you'd be using them.

another wtf comment that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

except it is.

do you even know why there is a steroid control act? do you even know why peds are illegal?

They weren't banned for health reasons. They were banned for political and nationalistic reasons.

In fact before they passed the Steroid Control Act the experts from the FDA, DEA and AMA all vehemently opposed the bill and said the health related effects associated were not an issue, but they were ignored and the bill was passed anyway.

18. SSP365

SSP365 Member

If you care about your long term health or the long term health of athletes then i suggest you stop watching sports and stop supporting athletes.

Being a professional athlete entails a certain amount of inherent risk.

DRUGS, OR NO DRUGS, there will be physical consequences in the long run.

ex Boxers with dementia, slurring words. ex nfl players whose entire body break down and are totally debilitated ( see all the ex nfl players of the 40s,50s60s,70s what kind of peds where they using back then?), ex nba players who can barely walk and are limping (see our head coach).

what peds where they using?

DRUGS, OR NO DRUGS,

ex pros will have long term health problems.

Like ive mentioned before, athletes havent been clean since the 50s. Athletes today are already allowed to use peds which are deemed legal by their respective governing bodies without any real medical justification whatsoever.

ITS ALL ARBITRARY.

HGH is banned yet your body naturally produces it. its an extraordinary supplement that is used by the anti aging community. Testosterone replacement therapy is somehow wrong in a sports context but its a legal procedure that helps millions of people.

ITS ALL ARBITRARY.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Really. Is that the message you're going to send to high school and college athletes? That if they don't take steroids, they don't care about their sport?

I don't take Adderall. I don't smoke, heck I rarely drink coffee - I prefer tea, even though it has less caffeine. I could probably do my job better if I did any of those. Does that mean I don't care about my work?

Not to mention that we don't just do things because of their benefit to athletes, we do it in the interests of fairness to the game. Take the game of GMs assembling the best team. Athletes would benefit a lot from it if they could sign for as much as they wanted, or go to any city they pleased. So why don't we allow that?

1 person likes this.
  20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Fine, it's "highly incompetent". The argument you and the OP try to make (although no one is getting past the first sentences in his posts) are only taken seriously by 12 year olds. PED's, any form of them, will never be legal in pro sports for obvious reasons. Let's make clones of every star athlete so they never have to miss time for injury. We all have dna matey, let's do it! Comparing them to real life situations show you don't understand what it's like to play a sport and have a highly unbalanced mentality from chronic masturbation.