1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's no method to the madness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. Take Gordon off this team and it may be the youngest in the history of the NBA, but that doesn’t excuse Silas’ pitiful lack of a coherent system or his abstention from authority. Man, bring back ancient Larry Brown and he would do a better job. The guy is a joke of a coach. If he gives Eason the Sengun treatment this year, I am going to lose my mind. I think they will again be in the top half of the lottery, but let’s at least let’s see some defensive improvement and more efficient offense.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I still can't believe he didn't focus on D all of last year? I mean....wtf was he doing?

DD

fattz likes this.
  3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Memphis

4. marinara

marinara Member

How many teams who won a title recently had a traditional point guard?

Didn’t we have one and lost to an untraditional point guard?

I don’t get the obsession on here about “ traditional PGs” how many traditional PGS are even starters on playoff teams anymore?

DaDakota likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I suggest you take another look at the very end of my post...

aaquaa likes this.
  6. marinara

marinara Member

Way too grasp my point.

JA, JJJ are older than what I’ve just described.

Also is a second round exit success?

34to11 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

• Jordan Allen, Cleveland Charge***
    • Josh Christopher, Rockets**
    • Tamenang Choh, Brown***
    • Tari Eason, LSU***
    • Usman Garuba, Rockets**
    • Eron Gordon, Valparaiso***
    • Aric Holman, Mississippi State
    • Trevor Hudgins, Northwest Missouri State***
    • Anthony Lamb, Rockets*
    • Trhae Mitchell, South Alabama***
    • Daishen Nix, Rockets**
    • Carl Pierre, Rice***
    • Jabari Smith Jr., Auburn***
    • TyTy Washington Jr., Kentucky***
    *These players have been in the Rockets system for years!
    **These players have been in the Rockets system for 1 year.
    ***These players have beein in the Rockets system for a few days and most will never even suit up.

topfive likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Honestly Sam, are you telling me they can't put in 3 or 4 plays to get Jabari a good look, or to run a PnR, or a pin down?

All of them have been coached for over 10 years, they would know how to run a play or two or four......I am not asking for a full system to be in place, or a read and react one......just some simple pin downs and curls - a FT line extended pick?

Instead of a you take the ball and beat your man and if met at the basket hit one of the 4 guys standing around at that line......

I get that they are young, I get that the team was thrown together, but these plays can be done in 15 minutes....tops....and just work on them....just to give some structure.

We just don't have good coaching.

DD

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Silas the coach of the summer league team?

10. DaDakota

He is the one that the coach reports to, he is the one saying, I would like to see XYZ from Jabari, and XYZ from Christopher, and well you get the point.

Either the staff is well informed and cohesive or that is just another problem that Silas is **** at.

DD

tehG l i d e, aaquaa and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  11. marinara

marinara Member

I
    While some of those points are valid for sure, what about decision making of the players ?

How many times did our guards just commit to taking contact and trying to finish with 2-3 defenders on them consistently instead of kicking it out too Smith or whoever ?

I’d wait till at least when they a training camp, maybe they don’t want too throw too much at them at once, maybe they wanted too let them play?

I love Jaygup more than anymore but he could have also made it easier, just seemed like he was in a get mine at all costs mindset which I understand why but he was very selfish for mine.

12. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Summer league games are won by the team with most effective playmaker(s). That is Paolo
    ... hopefully Saturday it'll be TyTy. I know one thing, Nix is entirely too passive whenever he plays with the big boys. OKC has Giddey so they may win all their games like Sac did last year with Mitchell.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Look through CF history a bit. Half the folks on here were saying MDA just let Harden and the rest do whatever they wanted, as long as they weren't shooting 2s. They said players were jacking up shots without ever running plays.

Of course, the reality was quite different. That didn't lessen the noise around here, though.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Coaching Green from a bumbling rookie early on to a true offensive force his last month? Bringing Sengun along to where he could stay on the court longer than 10 minutes? Helping Josh Christopher become a legit role player? Steering KPJ from being an almost burn-out to a starting PG?

Do those count, or are you assuming Silas had zero effect on all of them?

34to11 likes this.
  15. DaDakota

I disagree, Green came on once we benched Wood, same for KPJ - and why was that? Because Wood would bring the ball up there was no hierarchy in place by Silas - I think you would have seen them get better faster if they were well coached.

I do give Silas some credit for being mild mannered and allowing them to play through their mistakes - but I honestly think he is a terrible coach for this team. IMHO, a team this young needs structure as they learn the NBA game.

We have none.......or very little.

DD

fattz and aaquaa like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’ll give him some credit for Green and KPJ. Christopher was the same from summer league on (a very aggressive offensive player and good hustler). Sengun could have played 20 minutes from the get go and should have spent 25-30 after the all-star break. The he’s in foul trouble bs was just that. Oh, he has 3 fouls so he needs to sit the rest of the game, because he might foul out. So what if he fouled out, at least he’d be getting court experience rather than sitting on the bench. Wood was dogging it all year and should have been sitting on the bench half the game until he showed some effort. Yeah, yeah we had to build up his trade value so that we could get the 26th pick. LOL.

aaquaa and DaDakota like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The brilliance of what OKC is doing is that there is little coaching necessary...... they are a team of very good passing and smart players with a high aptitude for the game. When you have Holmgen, Giddy and Williams on the floor, you get great ball movement and smart play.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#FireSilas

aaquaa, Easy, i3artow i3aller and 3 others like this.
  19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Do you think Silas should have benched Wood earlier? He doesn't seem like the most coachable player and has been a black hole his entire career. It's likely why the team moved him.

Silas deserves a lot more credit than that. Almost every young player on the roster has been developing in a positive direction. That is very hard to do with so many young players on the roster. Why is Silas not getting credit for that?

20. DaDakota

No, he should have sat down with the team and explained everyone's role - and enforced it with playing time.

Wood, you are better when you do XYZ and not when you bring the ball up, be a rim runner instead.....

Jalen you are the number 1 target on offense, Wood you are 2, KPJ 3.....here is how we are going to get you all shots....etc.

Attention to detail seems to be lacking, IMHO.

DD

fattz, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.