1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's no method to the madness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Trust the Method

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Threads like this make me think some folks around here are going to have a very frustrating 2023.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering Silas is not even the Summer league coach and that half or more of the players on the court last night won't even end up as Rockets players

I can see why the natural reaction to last nights game is to start a thread blaming Silas the not-coach for not building a system around these not-Rockets players - with a monumental loss like this, somebody's got to pay.

larsv8, Rashmon and J.R. like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Spot on. Technique matters.

Jabari got bear hugged all last night by Banchero....but why not?
    You get 10 fouls. Some umpires call balls and strikes differently,
    some refs let the basketball players play.

Jabari needs to learn how to push off better or swipe the hands/arms
    better to get separation. I would have liked to see Smith take Banchero
    to the corner of the FT line and push off and receive the ball at the
    3-pt line cleanly. As Banchero charges to close out, Jabari attack
    while the big has their momentum going forward. These are things
    Jabari will get better at.

It's the little things. One day of practice does not make one a
    pro master.

saleem and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im not saying Kyrie is right. However, thinking outside of the box means you're smarter than a person who always think one way.

THINK ABOUT IT

Houston77 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolos recovery was pretty good even when he gave up drives. Jabari gave him some uncontested shots and for as good as a perimeter defender as Jabari may be, he is awkward around the basket as a rim protector in a similar way that Paolo is, but Paolo is more physical down there and offers more resistance. Paolo played HIS game and took away Jabaris game for the most part. No need to dig too deep because its just one meaningless game like you say. Just anecdotal observations.

Jabari should look much better when surrounded by the other starters on the team.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Silas was not on the bench last night but he has been watching the practices and he was involved in the game planning and what he wanted to see.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You should be able to provide evidence that this is true.

To me I'm looking at summer league scores from seasons and it all looks like your theory is a bunch of bullshit, because most of the players in summer league don't even end up playing meaningful minutes in the regular season, which is how Louis King (who?) dominated on the way to the Sacramento Kings 2021 summer league title and ended the actual NBA season in Westchester.

YOLO likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

What is the goal for this year? Last year was to make sure the youngsters didn’t get overwhelmed. Silas talking during the game was interesting to me. He was taking possession of the team and his coaching which is a change from last year. I am hoping he sees the skills the new players have and changes his systems to work to their strengths.

The game is nothing more than a pick up game because the most of the player haven’t been Rockets for more then a few weeks.

10. dmoneybangbang

I disagree. We are bad because we are super young and inexperienced.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Very poor showing from the Rockets summer league coach, Rick Higgins. Silas deserves blame too because they’ve running his awful read and react system. Rockets brought Silas over because he wrongfully got credit for the Mavs having a good offense, but that was all Luka. I cannot wait until we move on from him.

saleem likes this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Morey wanted Silas in 2016 before Luka was a thing in Dallas

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he didn't. Morey wanted JVG and Les overruled it

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know this is not a last night reaction it is a 2+ year no system reaction.

Summer league is notoriously selfish - but I didn't see ANY sets run or any attempt to get Jabari coming off a pin down.....this is lack of coaching.....these players have all been coached for years they are capable of following a plan if there is one.

DD

fattz, saleem and hlmbasketball like this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is why I asked if you were stupid...

We aren't tanking for a 14% chance at the first pick. We are tanking for a +50% chance to get a top 4 prospect or, if really unlucky, a top 6 prospect at 75%. Number 1 pick is simply the best case scenario, but the point of tanking is to land a top prospect. Philly is a good example of this; they can actually contend now because they tanked for talent. Astros, while a different sport, is a great example of this; 3 seasons of losing over 100 games to setup a perennial contender.

As far as team comparisons go, why does it matter if we have better talent or not compared to other bottom dwellers? You are either a good team or you are a bad team. Who gives a crap whether or not they are marginally better? In fact, being a middling team like the Spurs is the ABSOLUTE WORST position you can be in. Don't you remember the K-Mart years where we were good enough to stay out of the lottery but bad enough to miss the playoffs? That was the Spurs and a big reason why they TRADED AWAY their best player recently.

How do you think they got that pick that turned into Barnes? The Raptors were the 3rd worst team in the Eastern Conference that year. They didn't even win 30 games despite having a vastly superior team than us. If you aren't the type of darling city or team that great players want to go to regardless of records, then your only option is to lose and draft a great player and slowly develop them. Sometimes you get lucky and only need one because they are so good others want to join. Other times you have to tank a while to get enough of them and raise your own homegrown contender.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

ClutchFans consensus evaluations...

2014, McHale: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2016, Bickerstaff: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2019, D'Antoni: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2022, Silas: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

17. marinara

marinara Member

Dude it’s summer league it honestly means nothing it’s just reps for the players.

Remember Donte Greene 40 points debut back in the day or Jeremy Lambs?

Like 6 of the people on the roster will be here when the reason starts is this the first summer league you’ve watched?

SamFisher likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Silas isn't good enough to be a head coach.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

I typed like a 4 paragraph rant about this in another thread before i decided to erase it and not waste time on it. I wanted Silas. I made the same excuses he keeps making. Dude said he's let them play with freedom early to learn on their own, and will slowly introduce more difficult x's and o's, but shouldn't the ast. coach implement his game plan starting in SL? It looks more of the same. I know we're the youngest team, but these are young professionals and they had more complicated offense in high school, not to mention college where they just came from. Silas seems like he's treating them like kids playing youth basketball and the notion that he's going to start bringing in more complicated offensive schemes seems more and more like an excuse to buy time because he has no actual idea what he's doing. I'm still rooting for him, but this is so ugly and it wouldn't matter if we had 22 year old rookie Michael Jordan-if we play like last year it's unwatchable basketball. I wonder how much if it is because we have no real point guards or point forwards on the roster? Run this **** through Alpy as if he were Joker, dudes been a pro for years now. Oh well, hello Wemby and Scoot sweepstakes of '23.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not an argument we can legitimately make given the situation we dumped him in. We have to let him have a chance to coach when we have a good enough team to be able to conclude that. It's like b****ing that a masse or 3 rail kick attempt is a bad shot when the player is left snookered behind the 8 ball.