1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There isn't going to be a starting "PG" on this team - Get used to it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 10, 2022.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all trying to crap on KPJ and Sengun about not having superstar potential, but Jalen does? Jalen has not shown superstar potential either lol. His ceiling is LaVine, Beal, and Booker.. those guys are stars, not superstars. The hype is unreal haha. I love Jalen, but he’ll never be good like LeBron, KD, Luka, Giannis, Kawhi. Those are superstars

tochiee22 likes this.
  2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

The role of traditional PG is being phased out IMO. But I think it has more to do with positional size and defensive flexibility. With all the severe matchup hunting that goes on in the playoffs, small PGs are just a huge liability. Those type of players are best utilized as POA defenders and screen navigators. But when you get into switch heavy schemes to get into defensive iso ball they’re bbq chicken. There limited ability to guard up positions is a liability to playoff basketball. That’s why the small PGs are getting drafted later and later in each draft (cooper, butler, tyty, hardy, chandler). It’s why my position has been green needs to be listed as a PG because He’s been best as a POA defender and decently successful at screen navigation.

In addition to lack of defensive versatility, traditional PGs are usually high usage, high assist, low turnover, table setters without dynamic 3 level scoring. Nowadays if you’re going to play heliocentric ball. You’d rather have a jumbo playmaker who can make all the reads around the court (see doncic) while giving you size and scoring at all levels. Having a dynamic scoring threat makes the PNR much deadlier than a small guard who isnt likely to finish in the interior as well or hit pull up jumpers.

traditional PG play is dead in the sense of small table setters who primarily guard ones. The best teams (GSW, Boston, Mke, Dallas, Miami) while having those type of players don’t utilize that play style.

Plowman and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Feel like TyTy is showing flashes in summer league. Would like to see him start and KPJ come off that 6th man role.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ridiculous. TyTy will be starting, in RGV

maj21 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Love it! Add another thread to the end of season dumb, casual fan roast off!

I'm with OP - our backcourt will be the most electric in the game. Add Senguns savvy into the mix and you have plenty of playmaking without a designated role. Scooter will probably get the lions share of assists just because I think Scooter has the most natural passing talent (yup that includes TyTy and Nix). He will benefit from having better shooters around him as a passer. Jalen will get some dimes just because he sucks entire teams into him.

With all the attention on defense this offseason I sure hope fans understand how bad the offense was too - Im really hoping the shuffling of players and new additions will help that side of the ball as well.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Rockets want to play fast. They were taking the ball out of the basket at such a horrific rate it effected their offense tremendously. They will be way better on offense with a Jabari and hopefully Tari stopping the layup drill at the point of attack. Their should be a ton of jump shots being taken on us and, thus, a lot of long rebounds and transition opportunities. Having a center and a PF that will actually throw an outlet pass will do wonders for our offense. KPJ and Green better be ready to get those rebounds in the mid range and take off. Can’t wait for this season to get going. Just hoping Silas doesn’t wait half a year to set Tari loose.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

8. maj21

maj21 Member

Funny how people want the 29th pick that’s not even a star in summer league to start over a guy that’s gonna average 18/8/5, huh?

DasouthDakota and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Could not have said it better myself. Tried for the past 3 months but have
    I have failed to convey the message.

*Position-less basketball has made the high usage table setting PG
    unnecessary. As everyone is expected to pass, rebound and score.

*Teams tend to have one defensive stopper; so said defensive stopper can
    shut down your high usage table setting PG....thus shut down your team.

I believe this was brought to the forefront with Ben Simmons vs Atlanta.
    Neither Danny Green nor Thybulle could contain Trae Young, so the 76ers
    went with Ben Simmons. The coverage was mixed and Simmons did not
    cover Trae 100%; but it was enough to throw Young off his game due
    to Simmons footwork, length and athleticism. Now the Hawks have
    brought in DeJounte Murray and should pose a threat as a 1-2 punch,
    dueling banjos.

We are starting to see guards getting you 5-6 assists instead of the one
    main guard getting you 9-10 assists a game.....but the guards are asked
    to rebound more.....thus the bigger size as well. Dual purpose, outside
    of also being targeted defensively in the post, the league wants them bigger
    to go get rebounds (since the centers are going mobile 6'8" guys that need
    help rebounding).

People keep telling me TyTy is a PG, but others next to him are better and
    that's why he doesn't get chosen for the role. Then he is not a PG, just like
    an actor or actress never being chosen as the lead actor or actress for movies.
    Coulda-shoulda-woulda counts for jack squat. Just do it!

I don't want to rag on TyTy; but I expect we (Rockets) will be upgrading that
    slot if Porter Jr leaves by way of draft or free agency.

#69 ApacheWarrior, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Really, really stupid. I doubt he averages 8 assists (that is really hard to do), but I do think he will average 20 or more points.

11. maj21

maj21 Member

I do think he may average over 20. 8 assists is possible! He averaged 6 with poor shooting, and I believe Jabari will help that increase

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That would be incredible. If he averaged 20/8/5 maybe the KPJ haters would finally shut-up and just enjoy what’s shaping up to be one of the best backcourts in the league.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Would you say that the dissolution of the traditional PG on offense is similar to the dissolution of the traditional center on defense?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It depends. If someone is a box score watcher only then 20/8/5 will get them off. But if KPJ is still scoring inefficiently and turning the ball over then it won't be so cut and dry.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook didn't lead the league in catch/shoot %. And, James was an offense unto himself. Both JG and KPjr have been improving efficiency with the ball as is. Again, over the next few years, as Alperen develops, much more of the offense will run through him, allowing guys to do what they do best...a sweet balance out there, resulting in extremely high % shots, an efficient and versatile machine.

TyTy will get mixed into the salad...we're going to have a lot of different looks.

#75 Plowman, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Rashmon likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He was a turnover machine early in the year. He became extremely efficient the latter part of the year. Hopefully, he will continue to improve as a passer, which I see as his main weakness. Once he quit trying to be the traditional PG and just hooped he was incredible. KPJ and Green showed what was possible on offense the last 10 games. Your point is correct, however. If stats were everything Wood would still be on this team. I have watched every game the last 2 years and am very optimistic on this team’s future. I really think we have a tremendous amount of talent, coaching is going to be key.

Plowman likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly.

I've said bookends are being squeezed or phased out.

One Bookend
    *the smallish guard because switch everything defense leaves them at a detriment
    and being targeted in the post. Marcus Smart types don't call for help as much.

The other Bookend
    *The big lumbering centers because switch everything defense leaves them at
    a detriment on the perimeter as they get targeted. The 6'8"-ish center requires
    less help on the perimeter.

This comes to the forefront in the playoffs now.

There are exceptions: smaller players like Trae, Steph or Ja Morant who
    are phenomenal at scoring, leaping.

The new wave of thin centers/PF's that can hit 3's: Evan Mobley, Chet, Jabari,
    Wembanyama.....Dereck Lively, Kel'el Ware (coming next year)
    ---------------------
    Teams are trying desperately to make zone defenses work, as a means
    of protecting their investments such as Jokic, Embiid, Steph Curry, CP3, Doncic,
    Sengun, others; If nothing else.....buy them time until the right personnel is acquired.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know why his ceiling has to be those players. He had better rookie seasons than all of them. He can just be a better version of those guys. He has the best traits of Lavine(Uber athleticism) and the best traits of Beal and Booker( deep bag, three level scorer).

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Coach Sil@ss scheme does not require a point guard……

But a miracle wouldn’t hurt though……

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Positionless basketball, lol. What an overloaded term. You still need specific skillsets, you can apply whatever term you like to them for the sake of enlightenment. Anyway pointless to argue philosophy when we will see what happens this season and which guards drive team efficiency. Go Rockets.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.