1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There isn't going to be a starting "PG" on this team - Get used to it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 10, 2022.

1. PeppermintCandy

I think teams can go without a traditional PG, but it requires much more discipline from all the players. They need to be able to play their roles in offensive sets, communicate and really work off one another.

KPJ, Green, and Sengun are young and obviously talented, but there wasn't a lot of team awareness last season. People may blame Silas for that, but I think at some point the players have to take the blame as well. Jabari Smith has only played in two summer league games, and I'm seeing more defensive communication from him than I noticed on the Rockets all last year.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been saying that for years.

DD

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I agree that the traditional PG position has evolved, but I don’t like it. I just don’t like that style of basketball. I really do wish that we had a pass first PG with KPJ as a 6th man or the 3, but it is what it is. If Silas wants to ride or die with this group, so be it. It’s his career.

kjayp likes this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

What was the last team to have won a championship with a real facilitator pg?

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at KPJ having superstar potential. If we get Jamal Crawford (KPJ 's ceiling) we'll be extremely lucky

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Isiah Thomas maybe?

DD

eliefor3 likes this.
  7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

questions:

1) if our initial play fails (say due to good d), can we run a second or third option?
    2) how effective are our first plays?
    3) how much ball movement do we have?

you might not have a traditional pg, but if you don’t have a plan to achieve these, it will not end well. Positionless basketball uses versatility and creativity of players to take advantage in offence. Taking turns in offence
    , like last year, is not positionless basketball.

TheJuice likes this.
  8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Boston did with Rondo

eliefor3 likes this.
  9. Socrates

Socrates Member

Spurs with Tony parker

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Traditional pg isn't needed. But offense shouldn't only b run by kpj solely. Hopefully he allows sengun to run it also

TheJuice likes this.
  11. DaDakota

He is not a traditional PG, he was a scoring guard.

DD

BallaDoc likes this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You don't consider Kyle Lowry one? If not him, what about Jason Kidd back in 2011? Rajon Rondo then?? You are reaching going that far back.

Richie_Rich and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

holiday a year ago.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. I’m a big homer and I don’t see superstar potential in any player here. All-star? Yes. Superstar? Nope.

TheJuice likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Ohhh, Kyle Lowry, yes good call.

DD

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and what is a superstar to you? someone with a pretty face and nail polish? who can get you a flashy dunk in transition?

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Be interesting to see. Smith picks for Segun and if they switch Segun can post up on the smaller player that was guarding Smith. Smith can than move further out (possibly to the three point line)...and could run a screen for Jalen. Assuming the defense switches, his leaves up with:
    - Segun (with the ball) posted up on a smaller player.
    - Smith with a smaller guard trying to cover him as he stands in three point land.
    - Jalen with a bigger/slower player on him.

It's going to take time but like I said with the right coach and buy-in from the roster, we can really get creative. We're going to have to as well...the best teams are always revolutionizing sets.

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

To me, a superstar is top 10 current player who will end up in the Hall of Fame. Not just successful, not just dominant, but dominant over a stretch of time. Proven track record and in their prime or maybe a little past it.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Playmaking from multiple spots is far superior to an elite playmaker at one spot dominating the ball. The moment the ball goes from Jalen to Sengun, at least one defender is in the wrong spot and the defense must make a mid-clock panicked adjustment. If they adjust, you can throw it back to Green.

It's like they have to learn double the defensive assignments and execute multiple defensive strategies within one possession. We will also discover some teams are easier to beat inside-out and others are easier to beat outside in.

It's not just nice to have. It's a must have for most title winning teams.

#59 Mathloom, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Rashmon, Plowman and TheJuice like this.
  20. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I have the feeling there's going to be some broken hearts in the next few seasons...similar to how half the board flipped when we traded Landry or when people were swearing that Aaron Brooks was the next big thing.

No one should be truly untouchable. And we should be considering upgrades at every position...save maybe at SG. I don't think posters are fully aware how much turnover goes on in a rebuild, how many guys are going to suit up and show promise than do nothing for us...or guys who will get let go here then do well in a different role or with a different coach/system.

REEKO_HTOWN and BallaDoc like this.