1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There isn't going to be a starting "PG" on this team - Get used to it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 10, 2022.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

No way Giddey would lead this team to the playoffs. They did just have the number 2 pick when that team had SGA and Dort. Our team would lack shot creation, especially when Jalen goes to the bench. He also would offer not D nor floor spacing. Having multiple guys that can get their own shot is important. Some of y’all are ridiculous with these takes

cmlmel77 likes this.
  2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think we have very similar team philosophies.

100% agree on TyTy. He is not Maxey but plays like him with his attack on close outs. He’s not shifty enough to be lead creator and get into the teeth of the defense but once he catches he immediately attacks the closeout to get by his man. It’s something jaylen brown and maxey do a lot of. It’s something I was hoping green would do since his first step is literally the fastest I’ve ever seen. TyTy knows his limitations and is smart enough to compensate by being quick on the closeout and by being a maestro at PNR. Once he gets into the lane his floater in college and in SL has been elite. I think he’ll forever have a role in the NBA and picking at 29 getting a solid rotation player is always a hit IMO. I just don’t know how much he’s closing games. But what he brings to the team with his unselfishness, quick decisions, ball movement, floater game, solid team defense, likely upper echelon second side creator, and hopefully reliable shot will be a godsend.

I’m torn on KPJ. I think I’d love him more if he just switched to the SF position. I’ve stated before I don’t like pushing guys into the high usage primary creator role unless they’re generational. I think tying so much usage on someone inefficient at pull-up threes and has questionable decision making isn’t ideal. But as a SF he plays amazing at catch and shoot, second side creation, and individual defense with some playmaking capacity. I’m a fan of running double high post (adelman style) with this team and allowing sengun dictate where the ball goes because he’s quick with decisions, creative/sharp with passes, enough of a credible drive threat to keep d honest, and so unselfish that he won’t use the touches to generate his own looks but rather hit the open man. It would be nightmare if you had KPJ, green, Jabari, and tari cutting and flaring while allowing sengun to figure out where the ball goes. If the offense stalls then you have him, green, kpj and tari who can all make a play to get to the lane.

love the draft options you gave. Especially Whitmore. Check out the Thompson twins too. I think they bring the whole package at the wing. I’m torn on lively and ware. My team building philosophy personally would lead me to draft them and keep bari/tari/Tate at the wings but I think it marginalizes sengun I’d you go that route. I think if he, and Garuba, doesn’t show out as positive team defenders I’d be ok looking to add the last core big piece. Wenbanyama would be generational but there’s some rumors he’s had a stress fracture already in his lower body in the past. I’ve got a very big red flag with any mention of stress fractures and bigs of his size.

cmlmel77 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True....but that was his first full season as a PG in his life. Starting out 16th in the league is pretty good for a 21 year old combo guard. Even James Harden couldn't do that at 21 and he's the best combo guard in the history of the league. I'm pretty high on his potential, but even I don't think it's a failure that he wasn't a top 10 passing PG in the league last year.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He was one of the 5 worst scorers in the league last season in terms of scoring efficiency. He had a abysmal 47% ts.

BallaDoc likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would just be a worse version of the current team if you made that downgrade.

maj21 and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, if the Rockets could break TyTy of shooting the pull up 12 footer to
    19 foot long 2's, I will be content with his combo guard skills.

I give Jabari a little more slack. Rockets I hope can get him to stop the
    15 footer and beyond long 2's. Unless it's setting up putting the ball
    on the floor and drive.....why shoot it? We (Rockets) can work for
    a better or higher percentage shot.

Yes to the Thompson twins......I've mentioned them in previous posts.

Porter took too many dribbles last season. Part of that is his rawness at
    setting up the offense and directing traffic as a first time PG.....part of it
    was teammates not knowing where to be as well. Now the teammates
    are better equiped and know the playbook better and things should start to
    materialize in Porter's mind sooner. Adding more PnR's and cutting action
    will require timing; but initiating the set should be sooner or quicker.

Porter 47% on Catch and Shoot 3's last season and arrival of Tari and Snake will help
    provide spacing for Sengun in the post and Green/JC on drives. No need for Porter
    to dribble the air out of the ball this season. In one humble man's opinion.

BallaDoc likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have to admit that I wasn't fully aware of just how bad his shooting was. I just like his creativity and passing.

8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oof too many memories of Rafer Alston for me. And that was before the three point explosion era.

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if you have a "true" PG on this team it will neuter Sengun's best ability. With the Wood trade, the Rockets have said they really believe in Sengun's distribution and want to build around it.

that being said what you do need is that 1-2 guards to limit their TOs. That will be the key to success next year, if KPJ and Green can protect the ball... if they can we could **** around and win some ball games.

Plowman likes this.