1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There is a path for Westbrook to be pretty efficient. The answer may be him shooting MORE 3's.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 13, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he will shoot tons of 3s and when he is desperate tons of pull up 2s.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

we could very well be seeing minutes with EG in there as well without a traditional center. surrounding him with 4 other guys that can spread the floor which is a blueprint lineup we're typically use to seeing

malakas likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

If I were a team in the POs playing the Rockets, I would be very very happy to let Westbrook provide that different look.
    I would actively encourage it.
    How has been Westbrook in the POs lately?

Ofc that's what we have now, and we have to work with it.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Therein lies the rub--when the 3s aren't falling in the playoffs Houston needs to look elsewhere to generate points. What better place to start looking than to give the ball to one of the least efficient players in the league to give us that different look? lol

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The other thing is that while Paul George is a fantastic player, he's not exactly on the same level as a KD or Harden. My hope is to see more of 15/16 Russ than the recent iterations because that was the version that last had an elite offensive player (KD) next to Russ. It's not easy to conjure up that version given the miles and injuries he's had since then but Harden has made things easier for pretty much every player he's played with. When you have Harden shoulder the offense against the opponent's starters and give you (CP3 or Russ) the keys to the team against backups that's a recipe for success.

6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

No one needs to legitimately question Westbrook game and consistency.

Westbrook has the highest scoring total in a triple double with 51 points.

Westbrook beat out Michael Jordan with consecutive games with a triple double, 10 games in a row.

7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

There is no statistical evidence for 19 WB being better than 19 Paul when you look at impact metrics.

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Westbrook has never been an efficient scorer for his entire career. Anybody who thinks he's magically going to become an efficient scorer is being a fool.

All you can hope for is he improves other areas of the team (transition, assists, rebounds). He's not going to be a defensive upgrade.

Williamson and YOLO like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden had a 60 point triple double...all u do us post idiotic nonsense

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

They became true contenders when they got destroyed by San Antonio in the 2nd round? Didnt they get further with Josh Smithand Corey Brewer 2 years before?

I thought they became true contenders when they got a top 10 player, elite ball handler who could break down the defense and take over games down the stretch when Harden is struggling. But maybe I'm watching something else

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess you didn't understand the post, especially the mediocre offensively part

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're choosing to ignore what I said, and just assume floor spacing alone will get the Rockets to the championship.

Even Daryl Morey disagrees.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

he definitely doesn't lol. when he's signed more and more floor spacers as the years have gone by. that statement made no sense

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

He signed more floor spacer role players, and aimed for stars regardless of their fit. Dwight and Harden was the worst fit imaginable and led to a WCFs. People think the magic pixie dust is the 3 when the Rockets most successful seasons since Hakeem has been Harden with a 2nd star... of any kind

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Actually Dwight's ego was the problem, not the fit. big difference there

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Funny you say that when the core of the issue was that Harden wanted to play pick and roll and Dwight wanted post ups. If that's not a fit issue then there would be no such thing as fit issues.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

which goes back to Dwight's ego lol

Dwight still played the capela role to a degree, which obviously "fit". However his ego wanted himself to do more. that's where the problem came. he got his pnr pts. he got his garbage pts off the rim. he played defense, blocked shots, and acted as a deterrent. but he always wanted more with the ball in his hands. that's where the rockets drew the line and his ego couldn't handle it.

#97 YOLO, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Aint nobody catching Westbrook record of 10 plus straight triple doubles.

It has to be unbelievably hard to just get 10 rebounds alone in 10 straight NBA games!

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is guys who take the most shots on the team aren't always the most efficient shooters every single night. There have been plenty of "throw a load of bricks" nights by many of the "let me take all the shots cause I am better than you" type players. Sometimes their hero ball works fantastic and sometimes it is ridiculously egocentric and a game killer.

Westbrook and Harden have racked up a lot of individual stats for themselves, but I could care less. Individual stat padding and all those individual records don't win championships. Now that they have both done their share of stat padding without any team championships, maybe they will start playing smarter together. Play as a team and win as a team. This is going to be our year. They will both finally win a championship together!

D-rock likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's been clear for a while that there is much to gain from cutting out mid range. Only players who are historically elite at it should be taking mid range.

But what's bugging me is how confidently he takes incredibly dumb mid range shots and contested pull up 3's. His body language says "this is a shot I can make, I wanted it this way", which is shocking. I hope they convince him to cut that out.

It's not like he hasn't been part of an organization with an advanced analytics guy as GM. I'm certain he's been shown these projections before.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.