1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There is a path for Westbrook to be pretty efficient. The answer may be him shooting MORE 3's.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Russell Westbrook has shot 813 threes in the last two seasons and made 242 (30%). Taking more threes is not something the Rockets need him doing. He either needs to score at the rim or pass to an open teammate because he’s terrible at shooting from 3 feet and beyond. In fact, after looking at his shooting stats for the last two seasons, he’s basically a more athletic Rajon Rondo.

#41 DVauthrin, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's it, Deck. Exactly what I had in mind. Well said.

#42 Plowman, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Countered by.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Okay sorry I had to go back and reread your response and the part of my post you were referring to.

I can see that being a plus to offset. Maybe it’s a push.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

...............what

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's how I meant it and how I see it playing out.

We haven't had much transition offense the past couple years , WestBrick should change that and it should counter any loss of efficiency otherwise , Harden's usage may go down some but he's still going to be just as efficient , that's just the nature of his game and the offense.

It'll get even better IF Westbrook plays within the confines of the offense and his abilities - limiting shots other than at the rim. All the shooters surrounding him should make him better ….

7. Nook

Nook Member

LOL At the OP’s assertion that Daryl Morey was the one gung-ho for this trade. Daryl wanted to add a third star to go with Harden and Paul.

Also we are expecting one of the all time most stubborn players to suddenly exercise shot discretion? Why? He didn’t when he had Durant. Harden has already made it clear, he isn’t going to suddenly defer to anyone, including Westbrook.

Westbrook has to stop shooting long 2’s and pull up 3’s. Won’t happen and MDA knows it won’t happen. So the upside is there and I understand why the Rockets made the deal, but the Rockets really increased their risk profile for a little more upside. Granted, a little improvement and the Rockets win a title...

8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

My god I am still mourning this trade.

If Westbrook were 3 yrs younger I would not be angry.

9. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

Hahahahaha!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Perfect, my body is ready for 30 threes a game from Westbrook.

I'd rather him brick 3s than brick those long 2s he loves to take. At least we know he'll go after those rebounds.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I think the op is more implying that instead of the long 2s just make those attempts from 3.

Id agree with that.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Increase the odds: the more he shoots, the more he makes. If he shoots 4 he makes 1, 7 he makes 2, 10 he makes 3. In other words, let him shoot around 15 so he can make 4.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I definitely agree with this strategy, however I fear it wont be as easy as it sounds.

Teams (if they're smart) won't close out hard on Westbrook, but rather sag back & dare him to take the 3. This will make it much more difficult for him to get to the basket, but not impossible of course, due to Westbrook's insane athleticism. Furthermore in cases where the defense is rotating, making a slight mistake OR a big man is picking him up, Westbrook will thrive.

The question is, will those occasions happen more often than; Westbrook takes the open three (not great, but not the worst decision)... Westbrook hesitates, pump fakes, then drives into a prepared and recovered defense (neutral to bad decision)... Westbrook hesitates, dribbles, dribbles some more then pulls up for the long 2 (worst decision).

Westbrook is so explosive that forcing the drive even against a prepared defender isn't a bad decision as long as he does so immediately. The key will be to NOT, hold the ball, dribble in place or settle for the long two.

Both Westbrook and Harden are great offensive players and while I think the Rockets offensive efficiency will see a drop off in the regular season, it may also be significantly tougher to guard, prepare for in the playoffs.

Their defense on the other hand...

Relativist, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We will continue shoot those 3s with or without Westbrook.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Frankly Westbrook should never take a jump shot unless it's an open 3. If he adhered firmly to the open 3s and layups mindset I think we would be unstoppable.

But absolutely nothing about this man suggests he is capable of doing that. He is probably the most hardheaded star in the league, and that why his game hasn't evolved in the slightest.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

We found Westbrook's account on CF, everyone. Surprisingly, he joined 2/16/2012.

@bmd / Russell, I apologize for all the hate CF had towards you when you won the MVP 2 years ago.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As @sealclubber1016 said after your post, and what @Clutch bluntly said in his column is the obvious flaw in the strategy is this. Will Westbrook, not known for adhering to a game plan (unless it is his own), but rather taking things in his own hands come hell or high water, suddenly change his ways? It's a stretch thinking he will, dependent on the influence of James Harden, childhood friend and former teammate for 3 seasons, making it as far as the Finals with the guy, being able to get Russell to buy in. That, and whatever influence Coach Mike may have. Hopefully a reasonable amount, but my personal opinion is that James is the key to getting through to Westbrook.

You make good points. It's dependent on the strategy of the coach of the opposition in a given game, of course, and how good his players are. There's something else Westbrook can do, and do very well, if he will. Pass the damn ball. Where we have an advantage is that we have arguably the best offensive player in the Association in Harden, who is an outstanding 1/2, and another 1/2 who has elite abilities of his own, as long as his crazy athleticism holds up. I would argue that no one else has a back court pair like them. In fact, it's perfectly obvious that no one else does.

I was against the trade, although not entirely against moving CP3 (that contract!), as I had hopes that he would have a bounce back season this year, something else where I agreed with Clutch is quite possible. Chris isn't ancient, and he's suddenly become the target of vitriol here that's over the top. It's almost like now that he's gone, a small lynch mob has come down the street in the GARM yelling, "String him up!" Ignoring what he did his first season here. We'll see if that happens, how well he plays, but Chris Paul is some other team's gift or headache, whichever he turns out to be. Not our problem, except when we play him. I'm hoping that's with Miami, both because Chris deserves to be on a much better team at a far better location, and because I've been to Oklahoma. That, and he'd be in the Eastern Conference. He has to be pissed!

#58 Deckard, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I want to believe there is a path to increasing his efficiency but I have a hard time believe anything we can do will lead to him being a better shooter. In 2017 Westbrook was also an 85% free throw shooter. He dropped almost 10% in 2018 and by 2019 he was a 65% free throw shooter. In my mind, that does not indicate that better spacing will help.

20. seeingred

seeingred Member

"Ok Russ so you were open here for a 20 ft jumper but if no one else is open, we want you to go ahead and kick it down to the kid with the mop under the basket. I saw him do that 'over the backboard' shot during warm ups and it might get us on Top 10. DUNNA dun, DUNNA dun!"