1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thelma Taormina, Houston Homeowner, Pulls Gun on a Utility Worker Installing Smart Me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A Houston homeowner had been trying to keep her electric company from installing a "smart meter" at her house. So when a company worker showed up to put the new, digital meter into place, she pulled out the big guns -- literally.

Thelma Taormina said that the utility worker tried to force her out of the way so that he could install the smart meter on her property, so she pulled out a handgun, Houston's KHOU 11 News reported.

"He just kept pushing me away," Taormina, 55, told the station. "He saw it," she said of the weapon, "and went back the other way."

Taormina is licensed to carry a weapon, KHOU said. She has placed a sign on her fence (pictured at left) warning electric workers not to install a smart meter at her home.

She doesn't want the smart meter installed because it transmits electric usage wirelessly to the company, which she views as an invasion of privacy.

"Our constitution allows us not to have that kind of intrusion on our personal privacy," Taormina told KHOU. "They'll be able to tell if you are running your computer, air conditioner, whatever it is."

"I am very upset with it," her husband, Nick Taormina, added.

CenterPoint Energy, which has installed more than 2 million smart meters in the Houston area, said that it is considering legal action against Thelma Taormina over the incident.

"We are deeply troubled by anyone who would pull a gun on another person performing their job," a CenterPoint spokesperson told KHOU. "CenterPoint will be taking additional steps -- including court actions -- because what happened is dangerous, illegal and unwarranted."

The Public Utilities Commission of Texas, however, is considering letting homeowners remove the smart meters from their property.

The Taorminas have formed "We the People," a group calling for public hearings with the aim of changing the policy of installing smart meters on energy customers' properties.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012...a-houston-homeowner-pulls-gun-utility-worker/

They should just pull her power.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually would not allow a smart meter either. This info is dangerous. Anyone who has that data knows when you are home or not. Or when you are sleeping. If someone hacks into that they might be able to figure out the best time to rob someone.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

are you being serious or is my sarcasm meter broken? :(

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

can any of our lawyers here chime in......is it legal for property owners to assault unwanted trespassers in TX?

6. Classic

Classic Member

stand yo ground woman

7. Classic

Classic Member

Ask Joe Horn.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no comprende

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Thjese folks are serious about their little "freedoms". However, they are mostly perfectly content to have their income and wealth transferred to the 1% under the freedom to be subject to unregulated market forces.

#9 glynch, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Classic

Classic Member

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

From the Daily Mail, apparently this woman has several photos on her FB like this one,

[​IMG]

One of the top-rated comments (it's strange becuase this is a UK newspaper):

12. ILoveTheRockets

wait... so centerpoint is claiming that they can do whatever they want on YOUR property.

If the worker was pushing her out the way, that is assault in Harris County. The property owner had every right to pull out a piece at that point.

Moral of the story. Don't go pushing people on their property, and maybe you won't get a glock knocking out your teeth when they put in your face.

13. ILoveTheRockets

I think you need to reserve that question... Is it legal for unwanted trespassers to assault a property owner? Centerpoint seems to think it is.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think u mean 'reverse' and not 'reserve'.....in any case, the corporation is obviously in the power position here with resources to sue the **** outta this woman, hence the question i asked..

15. ILoveTheRockets

they might be in a power position in terms of money, but they are citizens and have to abide by the law just like the rest of us.

You can't go on someones property and push them out of the way just because "you are doing your job". CenterPoint better tread carefully because a justice will rip their lawyers bunghole all to hell over the assault and ultimately would end up throwing out of the case over it.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

She doesn't own the meter. If I'm Center Pointe, I just cut the line and wash my hands of these kooks. Let them generate their own power.

It's funny how some people always side with the person with a gun. Gun owners are incapable of lying or commiting crimes.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I thought he was being serious. Any reason why you are considering it's sarcasm? Seems like a legit worry to me.

18. ILoveTheRockets

So, centerpoint owning the meter gives legal right to do whatever they want on a property owners land without legal notice first and foremost? they excluded from local,state, and federal laws?

19. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I'd like to know what you think about the Home Owners Association.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If she does not want Centerpoint "assaulting" her then she needs to remove the utility lines, meters, etc. Problem solved.