1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Z Report] Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by No Worries, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'd bet a #26 OL pick would win a starting job in camp. At the very least he would start part of the year when we get an injury. Cordy Glenn is too big and Johnathon Martin is too smart not to make the starting lineup.

1 person likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I quoted you both so I could answer you both at the same time. (LOL I know, captain obvious)

If they draft a CB and he's a nickle, that's a starter. If they draft a WR and he unseats Jacoby, that's a starter in my mind. If they draft a guard and he unseats Caldwell, obviously that's a starter. If he can't unseat Caldwell then it would be a disappointment. If they draft a TE to basically be TE 2 but they target him like a primary weapon, that's a starter.

In the NFL I think the term "starter" is overrated. Your word "contributor" is probably more what I mean. At #26 you should be drafting an impactful player that is playing meaningful snaps for your team. He should be either the starter or part of a rotation. My point was he shouldn't be riding the pine.

But yes, if they draft a CB that can't unseat Kareem then he's a mistake pick in the 1st round. Kareem is bad. That he was masked somewhat last year because he played less than half the snaps doesn't mean he is good.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fair enough. I would maintain 20+ is a bigger crapshoot than you seem to think (in fact, really: once you're outside the top 10-ish... it's as much luck as anything).

4. justtxyank

Sure, crapshoot in that a lot of those guys end up busting. That doesn't mean you aren't looking for an impact player. You don't intentionally use your #1 pick on depth. Guys you HOPE don't play meaningful snaps.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think its that the Texans need a WR...they need a receiving threat, doesnt matter if its a TE or WR, imo.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it does matter because Casey and Graham can play TE. Jacoby Jones cant do anything at WR1 except pray for a PI call. I don't mind if they don't draft a WR, in fact I prefer it, but the need for a wideout is obviously more important than TE. Now if the TE is special, fair enough. Again, I'm only speaking to need.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We don't know anything about Graham, and Casey is your starting FB. Not to mention that Fleener can play WR in much the same way Casey could play TE.

8. justtxyank

Good post cat.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I've never heard that about Fleener.

Can anyone confirm?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm sure we'll add a fullback and we run plenty of non-FB sets. We already have two TE's on the roster, I don't envision us putting 3 TE's and a FB out at the same time.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think its just a matter of his speed and leaping ability. Chase Coffman lined up at TE but played freaking WR his entire college career. Not sure why he was labeled as a TE to be honest. Now his career is on the fringe.

12. DonnyMost

I'm with you in that Casey may be our starting FB, but it's not like the Texans are afraid of putting him in a TE set if need be. And we're obviously going to sign another FB at some point.

If Fleener has the ability to flex out wide, then all the better. I trust Kubiak's talent evaluation on offense, and we have turned coal into diamonds in terms of OL through FA, trades, and such.

So, if we take Fleener, I will make peace with it and watch his career with great anticipation. I will also expect Owen Daniels to be traded or cut next summer.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just one blog, but Fleener definitely has the ability to go out wide. Did it quite a bit at Stanford.

3. NOT Just A Tight End

Despite being 6'6, 247-pounds, Fleener still runs a forty-yard-dash in the mid 4.4's. He's got great speed, especially for his size. His leaping ability is outrageous and would be unchallenged lining up out wide against undersized cornerbacks. The 49ers need a big target who is always a threat to go up and catch the ball; Fleener might be the best option in the draft when it comes to that.

He's got soft hands and has a knack for finding soft spots in defenses. In his senior season, he reeled in 10 touchdowns, proving to be a capable scoring threat. He's also got wide receiver talent in that he is pretty great after the catch. At one point I also remember seeing Mel Kiper's big board after the combine, where he had Fleener as the No. 2 wide receiver in the draft after Justin Blackmon.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/4/18/2955650/coby-fleener-san-francisco-49ers-2012-nfl-draft

14. DonnyMost

Sounds like the redzone target we've needed for... ever.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They're at a place in their developement where "impact" has a much broader interpretation. It's just as important to find the 2013 version of... Owen Daniels, or Connor Barwin, or... as it is the 2012 version of Jacoby Jones. And you certainly don't pick 2012 Jacoby Jones over 2013 Connor Barwin if 2013 Connor Barwin is clearly superior - even if he's likely to ride the pine in 2012.

16. justtxyank

Fleener is a beast physically. He's much more explosive than Owen Daniels is currently and I would love to end up with Fleener. I just don't see it happening.

17. justtxyank

I don't consider Jacoby Jones to have ever been 1st round quality impact.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

The more you guys talk about Fleener the more interesting he gets. Sounded unlikely at first, but now he sounds like "wonder boy." Hmmmm. Not what was I expecting that's for sure. We have made jokes for years about how the Texans are overstocked with tight ends. Surely if he is that good, he won't be there when we draft.

19. Mashing

Mashing Member

Mmmmm... Five wide with AJ, Fleener, Casey or Foster, Walter, OD. I like to see us do that on occasion. We know Kubiak has no problem putting Shaub on an island.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dorin Dickerson would like to remind you that switching from TE to WR is a cake walk.

The Texans have holes to fill that do not include TE1. They need a block first TE2 to replace Dreesen and a fourth or fifth round pick ought to do the trick.

If the Texans do draft Fleener, they will certainly be trading OD since they probably can not justify carrying that much salary for their TEs.

Both Fleener and OD are good receiver but are not likely to be on the field at the same time (assuming OD is not traded). Thus, Fleener does not give the Texans an additional pass receiver. And the Texans still do not have a reasonable WR2 (or a future WR1 replacement for AJ). Now if a OD trade would return a young talented WR1/2 ... but it won't.