1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Z Report] Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by No Worries, Apr 21, 2012.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm with you. Go WR in the second.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hmm. What if the Texans go Fleener in the 1st and get a WR like AJ Jenkins in the 2nd. We would have so many weapons on offense.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The good news is that they really don't have any out-and-out glaring needs; the pick is most going to be a back-up and not a starter.

That in mind, of all the "next man up' candidates (Sharpton, Butler, Caldwell, etc.), Graham is the one we know the least about and thus, a pick of Fleener could potentially fill a much greater role than simply "back-up." That's not overkill, imo. A second TE is very important.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I don't expect anybody we draft, short of a stud right guard, to see starting time come opening kick.

I know everybody wants a WR, but if we get one, prepare for him to, at best, supplant Jacoby at the #3 spot and possibly return kicks.

Yes, it is important. But when you have Graham and Casey already, it does create a log jam. I'd like to see what we have in them before dropping a 1st rounder on another TE.

5. conquistador#11

the only OL that can be superb at being versatile and quick to open space is glenn and he won't make it past 20 I think.
    Guards and tackles that fit the kubiak system are considered misfits by the experts thus allowing kubiak to get them in later rounds. Even when they chose duane brown, he would have been taken in the second round by us had we had a pick.
    I recall 'experts' still saying we picked the worst tackle in the draft that year.

6. DonnyMost

Well, if that is the case, I wouldn't be shocked if we traded down.

7. Hey Now!

I don't think Casey is in the TE mix; they've certainly given no indication that he is. It's all about ROI. If Fleener really is a physical, game-changing freak of nature, and a significant upgrade over Graham, then he's a #2 TE in name only.

The other aspect to this is Daniels. I appreciate the heck out of OD - but he hasn't been the same since he blew out his knee, and he ain't gettin' any younger. If they think Fleener can step right in... maybe Graham *IS* TE2 and we save some cash jettisoning OD.

TE, WR, OLB and CB, IMO, are the four positions where we could likely see significant, day 1 contributions from a rookie. Every other position is (needed) depth, and thus- less of a priority for me.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If the Texans don't draft a starter in the 1st then they made a bad pick.

Considering their weaknesses that need to be addressed, it is a failure if they can't draft someone to start. They have mediocre to bad players starting at WR, OL, CB and they have no depth at OLB, a position where I definitely think a guy who rotates with Barwin and Reed can basically be considered a starter.

9. DonnyMost

I can't see any reason why the Texans would dismiss Casey as a 3rd TE. He's obviously capable of it and has played it in the past.

I don't see anything wrong with Daniels nor do I see a decline in his game. His YPG going down are more attributable to Dreessen's rise and Schaub's injuries, IMO. Unless he's due a big pay raise, I can't see why he wouldn't be in their future plans.

Graham's lack of a reputation scares me just as much as Caldwell's inability to become a starter in his 3 seasons here scares me.

I just value OL depth a little more, I guess. No matter who we draft, we're seemingly going to have one question mark starting on opening day, either Caldwell or Graham.

#89 DonnyMost, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. Hey Now!

Oh, I disagree. They certainly have needs - but picking 26th isn't like picking 10th. They need to be in 100% BPA mode, with only QB, RB and S off the 1st round table. They are far better off getting the next Rasahd Butler than they are reaching for a WR who struggles to beat out JJ.

11. Mashing

Mashing Member

Yeah, the more I think about it I think will be an OL (specifically someone who can play guard). I've never really heard the Texan's brass talking up Caldwell, but they've said on numerous occasions how much they like Newton. Butler is injury prone, so he'll need a backup. Who would play RT if Butler goes down again? Cody Glenn would be the ideal candidate here.

WR will be the pick in the second. OLB is a possibility here too.

12. justtxyank

This is the NFL, not the NBA. Getting a starter at 26 isn't a coup. If you draft a guy at 26 that doesn't make it you made a bad pick.

13. justtxyank

I could definitely see them drafting an OG. I think they like Butler and Newton so I don't expect them to go tackle in the 1st.

My gut tells me they go OLB RD1.

14. DonnyMost

This is what we call "table setting".

15. justtxyank

You'll have to explain.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have not heard that they like Newton, as a future starter.

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If we draft a TE in the top 3 rounds I might lose it. LOSE IT. RECEIVER DAMMIT!!! We've need one for 3 years!!!!!!

18. DonnyMost

You've set the table for yourself to be upset/disappointed.

It's highly unlikely anybody they draft (short of an OG or TE) would be able to start on day 1. Even in the case of TE, it would be TE2, so, technically not starting. But contributing, at least. And if our OG starts, that means that Antoine Caldwell was pretty much a bust of a pick in the 3rd round of '09.

WR, DB, OLB... virtually no chance anybody they pick at those positions starts. WR I would expect, at best, to unseat Jacoby at WR3 and return kicks. DB would probably play nickel. OLB would be a rotation guy.

So, on a team as good as the Texans, I can't see how your standard for judging whether their pick is good or not is reasonable or fair. If they take the best player available and he doesn't start for a year or two, I wouldn't be mad.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Picking the pick @ #26...... it's a sure thing, ha:

Website (Writer) Pick Latest Mock
    Chron.com (John McClain) Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia April 25
    Chron.com (Lance Zierlein) Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech April 24
    ESPN.com (Mel Kiper) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford April 25
    ESPN.com (Todd McShay) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 25
    ESPN.com (Paul Kuharsky) Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin April 23
    SportsIllustrated.com (Peter King) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 20
    SportsIllustrated.com (Don Banks) Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin April 25
    Los Angeles Times (Sam Farmer) Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois April 21
    Ft. Worth Star-Telegram (Charean Williams) Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia April 25
    New York Times (Jonathan Bales) Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech April 18
    Buffalo News (Mark Gaughan) Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois April 26
    Chicago Tribune (Dan Pompei) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 25
    Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (Bob McGinn) Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois April 25
    Newsday (Bob Glauber) Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC April 25
    NFL.com (Mike Mayock) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford April 26
    NFL.com (Michael Lombardi) Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech April 25
    NFL.com (Greg Cosell) Riley Reiff, T, Iowa April 23
    NFL.com (Chad Reuter) Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford April 25
    NFL.com (Charles Davis) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 24
    NFL.com (Charley Casserly) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 25
    NFL.com (Bucky Brooks) Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech April 23
    CBSSports.com (Rob Rang) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 23
    CBSSports.com (Pat Kirwan) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 23
    CBSSports.com (Dane Brugler) Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama April 23
    CBSSports.com (Pete Prisco) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford April 25
    CBSSports.com (Clark Judge) Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford April 25
    CBSSports.com (Will Brinson) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 24
    The Sideline View (Adam Caplan) Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 25
    SportingNews.com (Russ Lande) Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford April 24
    NationalFootballPost.com (Wes Bunting) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 18
    FOXSports.com (Peter Schraeger) Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama April 26
    ProFootballWeekly.com (Nolan Nawrocki) Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse April 26
    USA Today (Jarrett Bell) Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford April 19
    USA Today (Jim Corbett) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 19
    USA Today (Nate Davis) Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia April 25
    ProFootballTalk.com (Evan Silva) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor April 25
    OurLads.com Rueben Randle, WR, LSU April 23
    DraftCountdown.com (Scott Wright) Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia April 26
    Bleacher Report (Matt Miller) Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech April 26
    WalterFootball.com Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia April 26

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ans-pick/6acc50f3-cacd-40b2-8f23-3c286ebef20e

20. Hey Now!

So, wait - does he have to start or make it? Yes, if he's cut, it's a disaster - that I'd agree with.

The expectation should be "contributor." If they find a capable WR3, TE2 or OLB3 (essentially: Brooks Reed, 2.0) with starter potential: success. If they find an OL that challenges the assumed incumbent(s): success. If they find a CB that pushes KJ and takes over Allen's role: success.

The team has needs - but nothing so glaring they should reach for a player. If they come out of the top half of the draft with "Ben Tate," "James Casey,' "Rashad Butler" and "Brooks Reed" (in terms of their roster space, not position) - no one should complain.