1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Z Report] Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by No Worries, Apr 21, 2012.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I know I am in the minority, but I do not feel Fleener will be what most are pegging him to be. Don't think he is strong enough or truly physical enough to get a clean release at the line and allow his quickness to be huge factor.

If the Texans did not really need No. 1B AND No. 2 WR, I could see him being a good pick up. But I just feel he would underwhelm as a top target in Receiving option. And if your drafting a TE in the 1st round, he needs to be at that level.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]One NFL scout suggested that Stanford TE Coby Fleener "might be the most overrated guy in the draft" because he doesn't block and is more of a buildup-speed threat as a pass catcher.

"He wasn't even the best tight end on their team," the scout said. "No. 11 (sophomore Levine Toilolo), that's the real deal. (Fleener) might be the most overrated guy in the draft. He's awful as a blocker. Despite his workout numbers he's really not a quick-twitch, dynamic-moving guy. He's a straight-line, build-up player." The scout may be being overly critical of Fleener, but his first-round buzz seems to have died down in recent weeks.[/rquoter]

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Interesting. I think I am caught up in the success of the New England tight ends and his pedigree, size and 40 time looked intriguing. I would love for the Texans to nab him in the second round.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Fleener is one of those guys that someone suggests...then a couple people agree...then before you know it, clutchfans overhypes him and everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon as if it would be the greatest addition to the team.

We have many more pressing needs. I would draft a tight end, but not until the 4th round.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There are thousands and thousands of scouts out there. You can find one that thinks Andrew Luck will be a bust while simultaneously believing some seventh-rounder will be a superstar. He could be right, of course, but I don't think one anonymous scout out of millions is worth much thought.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think it's funny that his NFL comparison is Owen Daniels on http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012cfleener.php. Let's go after a player we already have?

We can get a 2nd TE in the 3rd or 4th.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If we could get a second Owen Daniels - especially younger and pre-ACL tear - I'd be willing to trade up in the first round to make that happen. :)

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Joel Dreessen was drafted in the sixth round (2005 by the Jets).

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Was looking back over TEs, and saw Rhett Ellison (6'5'' / 251lb):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1244464/rhett-ellison

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I may be letting a few bad plays from Caldwell cloud my judgment.

11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I wouldn't trust what any scout says right now. Smoke and Mirrors.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

True, but Toilolo is/will be much more of a dominant force...the guy is 6'8 and a beast.

Fleener definitely has plenty of tools to make him successful, but I think the hype is growing much more than necessary. Unless a team needs a tight end, I dont think it would be smart to give up a first round pick for him.

13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

And then you always have "this guy" scout that tries to buck the trend so he can seem smart on the off chance that he is right.

This is excellent news for us though, as this means he is more likely to be there at our pick.

I watched a ton of Stanford. #11 is going to be good too. This is not a comparison of who is better out of Fleener or #11. This is a decision of who is going to help the Texans get to the Super Bowl this year. That's also BS about Fleener needing time to get speed built up. You don't run a 4.4 40 with a slow start.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No. No you are not.

Caldwell version 2010 split playing time with Mike Brisiel.

Caldwell version 2011 only played when Brisiel was too hurt to play. When Caldwell did play, he struggled. I did read somewhere that Caldwell had injury issues last year.

Kubiak will want better play from his ROG than what Caldwell provided last year.

Also the LOG Wade Smith is soon to be 31, saw his play drop off last year, and is in the last year of his contract.

I see the Texans using a top pick (2nd or 3rd round) on a guard this year and maybe next.

15. Pete the Cheat

if Dwayne Allen is still available when we draft in the 2nd, I think thats a great value pick.

there is so much depth at WR in this draft you are looking at players in the 3/4 round who would be immediate contributors on this team

16. Pete the Cheat

I have noticed a lot of O-Linemen moving up draft boards. while not a sexy pick, I would have no problem adding quality depth at a position where we have taken a big net loss in the offseason.

question though, generally first rounders on this team are annointed starters from day 1. do you believe that would that be the case if we were to address either G or RT in the draft?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would think G would be a true open competition.

18. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I think any rookie on the offensive line will rotate. Kubiak has done this repeatedly and it seems to be an effective tactic, keeps guys fresh and the younger players gain valuable experience. If the Texans draft, say Silatolu, he could rotate with Caldwell or Butler and start next year since Butler and Caldwell will be free agents, and even Wade Smith will be in the 3rd year of his 4 year deal, not to mention Duane Brown needing to be re-signed. I think offensive line is the most likely position to be addressed with the Texans first pick.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I felt a lot that movement is because it feels a general top heavy class and teams will be looking to reach a bit. Most of the OL guys I would take would 1st round pick would be gone by the Texans pick. Would rather see who falls to the picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It doesn't seem like anybody we draft will or should start from day 1.

The best chance for that would be if we drafted a stud to play RG, who might be able to unseat Caldwell.

Cordy Glenn anyone?