1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Z Report] Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by No Worries, Apr 21, 2012.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Every team creates their draft board with an understanding that they would like to address best player available at a position of need. Just because a team has a greater need at guard, that doesn’t mean they will take a guard over another player who is much better and plays a different position.

Never, ever forget that the idea of a general manager should always be to find good football players and to stack your roster with good players. Good players not only win football games, they also help to create quality depth so that when teams have to let good players leave (2012 Texans offseason anyone?) they have talent to take over.

Let’s take a look at the offensive positions and give them a “need number” and a “draft probability numbers.” For “need,” we will use a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the highest priority and 1 being a position of great strength on the roster. For “draft probability” we will use percentages that the position in question will be drafted at some point.

I will feature the defensive needs and prospects this weekend.

Texans Team Needs

Quarterback
    Need – 2 Draft Probability – 50%

Matt Schaub is the starter and will probably be extended either after or during the season. However, his extension could be determined by his overall healthy. Still, with T.J. Yates showing he has potential, this isn’t a high need position. Despite that fact, I still think the Texans will take a look at a QB late in the draft as hitting on a late-round developmental QB can pay off in the future. I would draft a QB late in the draft at least every other year as they are like lottery tickets.

Rounds 4-7: Ryan Lindley, San Diego St. / Chandler Harnish, N. Illinois / B.J. Coleman, Tenn-Chat. / Russell Wilson, Wisconsin

Running Back
    Need – 2 Draft Probability – 30%

The Texans have their top two RB positions locked down and they can find a third running back off the street if they want to. While this is not a high priority need by any stretch, if they find a running back who they believe has special teams potential and who they see as a steal in the later rounds, they could look to take that player and plug him in at the RB3 position which would also give them depth/insurance against the possibility of Ben Tate leaving in a couple of years.

Rounds 4-7: Robert Turbin, Utah State / Ronnie Hillman, San Diego St. / Michael Smith, Utah State / Tauren Poole, Tennessee / Lennon Creer, La. Tech

Wide Receiver
    Need – 6 Draft Probability – 90%

Wide Receiver is a top priority and must be addressed within the first three rounds and preferably within the first two rounds. Andre Johnson’s injuries last year were non-contact which makes you wonder if he is starting to breakdown. Kevin Walter handles himself at the WR2 position, but he didn’t step up as a target when Andre went down and he is one of the lowest ranked starters in the league at yards after catch. Jacoby Jones is on the roster for now thanks to a lack of depth, but I’m sure the Texans would love to replace him with a less expensive option. The depth at this position is awful which means would could see more than one WR drafted.

Rounds 1-2: Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech / Kendall Wright, Baylor / Rueben Randle, LSU / Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers / AJ Jenkins, Illinois / Brian Quick, App. State
    Rounds 3-4: Joe Adams, Arkansas / Marvin McNutt, Iowa / Chris Givens, Wake Forest / Keyshawn Martin, Michigan State / Nick Toon, Wisconsin / Greg Childs, Arkansas
    Rounds 5-7: Devon Wylie, Fresno St / Jarius Wright, Arkansas / Jermaine Kearse, Washington / Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M / Juron Criner, Arizona

Tight End / Fullback
    Need – 3 Draft Probability – 40%

The idea that the Texans can just plug and play Garrett Graham at TE is a little scary to me as I don’t know how he can block yet, but that is likely what the Texans will do. Graham will take over for Joel Dreesen who was a solid blocker and allowed the Texans to utilize 2-TE sets effectively. The Texans don’t view James Casey as a full-time TE so it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that they look for a TE late in the draft. The Texans need another hammer-head FB to pair with Casey at that spot, but I expect the Texans to find that position via veteran free agent before camp and with an undrafted free agent.

Round 1: Coby Fleener, Stanford
    Round 4-7: Rhett Ellison, USC / Kevin Koger, Michigan /

Center/Guard
    Need – 4 Draft Probability – 60%

The fear of losing Chris Myers ran rampant around Texansville and not just because Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston were gone. The Texans don’t have the depth they need at guard and center and the C/G position needs to be addressed in the draft. Shelly Smith has some potential as a backup, but there needs to be competition at the guard spot and the Texans probably need another player who can swing between guard and center if Antoine Caldwell is going to be the full-time starter at guard. Figuring out where the Texans value the guard position in this draft is tough for me to figure out. I don’t think it will be a priority within the first three rounds, but I’ll include a couple of prospects just in case.

Round 1-3: Amini Silatolu, Midwestern St / Jeff Allen, Illinois
    Rounds 4-7: James Brown, Troy / Jeff Adams, Columbia / Senio Kelemete, Washington / Jaymes Brooks, Virginia Tech / Bryce Harris, Fresno St. / Desmond Wynn / Joe Looney, Wake Forest

Offensive Tackle
    Need – 3 Draft Probability – 50%

True enough, the Texans lost Eric Winston, but I think there are some who are over-valuing the Texans need/desire to replace Winston via the draft. Rashad Butler has starting experience and has the long arms that are coveted by offensive line coaches in pass protection. He understands the offense and will almost assuredly be the starter this year. While Butler has only one year left on his deal, the Texans really like the potential of last year’s 7th round draft pick, Derek Newton. Newton is a better overall athlete than Butler and could be the right tackle of the future. With Duane Brown set to get a huge deal next year, it is unlikely that the Texans will look at a tackle within the first two rounds. If they do draft a tackle, I doubt it will be until the middle to late rounds.

Rounds 3-4: Brandon Mosley, Auburn / Tom Compton, South Dakota
    Rounds 5-7: Markus Zusevics, Iowa / Tony Bergstrom, Utah / Andrew Datko, FSU

2 people like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Defensive draft needs and potential prospects for the Texans

Every team creates their draft board with an understanding that they would like to address best player available at a position of need. Just because a team has a greater need at guard, that doesn’t mean they will take a guard over another player who is much better and plays a different position.

Never, ever forget that the idea of a general manager should always be to find good football players and to stack your roster with good players. Good players not only win football games, they also help to create quality depth so that when teams have to let good players leave (2012 Texans offseason anyone?) they have talent to take over.

Let’s take a look at the defensive positions and give them a “need number” and a “draft probability numbers.” For “need,” we will use a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the highest priority and 1 being a position of great strength on the roster. For “draft probability” we will use percentages that the position in question will be drafted at some point.

Texans Team Needs

Defensive End
    Need – 3 Draft Probability – 70%

Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt are the premier 3-4 DEs in pro football right now, but Smith has only two years left on his contract and there isn’t as much depth at this position as the Texans need. I feel fairly confident that the Texans will target another DE in the draft, but I don’t think it will be an early round priority.

Rounds 3-4: Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati / Tyrone Crawford, Boise State.
    Rounds 5-7: Akiem Hicks, Regina / Jaye Howard, Florida

Nose Tackle

Texans fans have been calling for a big space-eater at NT for quite awhile now, but Wade Phillips isn’t married to that concept in his 3-4. Phillips’ defensive history has had him coaching space-eaters and 1-gappers so it is hard to target one body type when looking at this position. Shaun Cody is in the last year of his deal and the Texans are unlikely to give him a multi-year deal due to cap constraints so there is a good chance they will need to add a NT this year or next.

Rounds 3-5: Mike Martin, Michigan / Hebron Fanguapo, BYU / Marcus Forston, Miami
    Rounds 6-7: DeAngelo Tyson, Georgia / Vaughn Meatoga, Hawaii

Outside Linebacker
    Need – 5 Draft Probability – 80%

Brooks Reed did an awesome job as a rookie last year and was well worth the 2nd round pick the Texans used on him. With that said, he was considered to be a rotational player when he was drafted and there is no reason to believe that he couldn’t fall back into the role if the Texans look to get a more talented player at that position to replace Mario’s spot on the roster. You can never have enough quality pass rushers and the Texans are highly likely to add another pass rusher.

Rounds 1-2: Nick Perry, USC / Chandler Jones, Syracuse /Shea McClellin, Boise St. / Vinny Curry, Marshall / Bruce Irvin, W. Virginia
    Rounds 3-5: Jake Bequette, Arkansas / Miles Burris, SDSU

Inside Linebacker

With the addition of Bradie James and by re-signing Tim Dobbins, the Texans are much less likely to even glance at the ILB position since Brian Cushing and Daryl Sharpton are both locked in. I’m not saying that Dobbins, James or even Sharpton are the long-term answers next to Cushing, but the Texans have put a band-aid on the depth at that position so I don’t see them addressing that position unless it is very late in the draft.

Round 5-7: Tank Carder, TCU / Najee Goode, W. Virginia / Emmanuel Acho, Texas

Cornerback

Make no mistake about it, the Texans played much better in the secondary last year and that included 2nd-year CB Kareem Jackson. However, Jackson isn’t “locked in” as a reliable starter for the upcoming years and his only, true backup (Jason Allen) is gone. Brandon Harris was brought in to compete for the nickel CB position, but Brice McCain did a good job with that position last year. The Texans still don’t know what they have with Brandon Harris or Roc Carmichael so it feels like a toss-up regarding whether or not they choose to add some competition at that position.

Round 2-3: Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina / Dwight Bentley, LA-Lafayette / Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
    Rounds 4-5: Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech / Trevin Wade, Arizona / Coryell Judie, Texas A&M

Safety

Glover Quin and Danieal Manning are locked into starting positions and it is unlikely that the Texans consider safety depth as a priority come draft day. There is a chance the Texans could look to add to the safety position if they feel like the players is also a demon on special teams, but I wouldn’t expect them to target a safety until much later and I also wouldn’t expect them to draft a safety and move Quin back to CB.

Rounds 5-7: Charles Mitchell, Mississippi State / Brandon Taylor, LSU / Tavon Wilson, Illinois / Aaron Henry, Wisconsin

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Really great analysis. Thanks for that primer!

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I'm hoping we go heavy on offense this year. I'm warming up to Colby Fleener in the 1st and target Ryan Broyels in the 3rd or 4th round. Address the ol and lb situation in the other rounds

5. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would love to get Devon Wylie late in the draft. He could be a useful slot weapon that could enhance our offense.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We'd be crazy not to take an OT in the first two rounds. You win and lose games in the trenches and Rashad Butler should not be starting.

I'm more for solidifying both sides of the line before adding skill players.

1. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    2. Alameda Ta' amu, NT, Washington
    3. Derek Wolfe, DE, Cincinnati
    4. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
    4. Audie Cole, ILB, NC State
    5. Jarius Wright, WR/KR, Arkansas
    6. Ryan Miller, G/T, Colorado
    7. Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Is Troy Nolan too big to play CB?

Kareem Jackson still worries me...a lot.

8. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Please explain this.

He's proven to be more than serviceable at the LT position, and the Texans matched a decent offer made by the Redskins ,(I believe), last offseason for this exact situation.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Want Fleener so bad. Dude is ready now and looks to be the real deal. Prefect possession receiver/TE for our offense. New England started the trend and showed it works. Plus, he knows the roll out offense to perfection played at Stanford. Want!

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Really leaning towards this guy. Would also allow us to potentially free up money next year by letting Owen go.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Picking on Butler before Caldwell? :confused:

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Caldwell didn't do too bad last year.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Caldwell has been a good starter for the Texans before. Butler had a nice four-game stretch in 2010, but is a lot more unproven. I think Butler will do fine, but he is more of a question mark.

And yes, I'm on the Fleener bandwagon, too.

14. conquistador#11

an unknown source, told me to edit my post to the following:
    the texans will be drafting players that they see fit their offensive and defensive systems.
    You heard it here first!

yeay, only four days and 1/2 for draft day. It got here fast. No doubt in my mind our staff is going to find a Holy phenom somewhere in there.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think he did better than people give him credit for

that being said, I am excited to see Butler out there. I think he could actually end up being an improvement, I like him a lot

16. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

TE Draft likelihood 100%
    Some player from Colorado State Draft likelihood 100%.

That's two picks right there...Unless we can somehow find another TE from Colorado state.

That is why it sucks to lose Dreesen. He had versatility, he filled two of the Texans historic most important needs.

1 person likes this.
  17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I'd rather the Texans take a TE with their third, or their first fourth round pick. I think Ladarius Green would work. I want to see the Texans take Stephen Hill, Reuben Randle, or Kendall Wright with their first round pick. Go defense with their second.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like any of those players with a first round pick.

19. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I think picking Fleener lessens the need for a WR pick.
    Fleener sort of kills two birds with one stone. We get a Dreesen replacement, and we get a more explosive weapon in the passing game, which is really what we are trying to solve with all of the projections of us taking a receiver.

It's not that we specifically need another receiver, but we need someone to take the proverbial top off of the defense a little more, particularly when/if Andre gets hurt. When he is out, it really shrinks the defenses up and limits our ability to make any big plays.

We could do well to get another receiver as well, don't get me wrong.
    I would take Fleener and then take my changes with a Childs or Jenkins or someone else being there in the 4th. Or maybe Posey or Broyles even later in the draft.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

How does Fleener take the top off the defense though? I think Hill or Wright would be much better than that. Also, what happens when AJ gets hurt again? The team is still going to need another WR out there, and rolling with Jones/Walter is just not enough. Depending on how the draft goes, the Texans can go with Jerel Worthy with their first round pick (Watt 2.0), and then take Brian Quick with their second round pick. Fleener is a second round pick, IMO. I'd rather take Green as the TE mismatch later on in the draft, with one of our fourth round picks. OL depth with the third round pick. Trading back out of the first may and getting another third may not be a bad idea either. This draft has so much value in the second to fourth, even fifth rounds.

Jerel Worthy: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689519/jerel-worthy

Brian Quick: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1249531/brian-quick