1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The year of the underdog

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by haven, Jun 30, 2004.

1. haven

haven Member

I cannot remember another year in sports in which an underdog won more championships. Not necessarily chronologically:

Let's just think of a few:

New England Patriots: That's not the most talented team in football, just the best coached.

LSU - OU had the talent, LSU had more heart and coaching.

Porto (European Champion's League): God knows what their payroll was ranked. But while Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Milan, Juventus, and FC Bayern were sitting at home, Porto won the biggest prize in European soccer.

UC-Fullerton - UT had a better team, Fullerton won the college world series.

Detroit Pistons - Duh.

Florida Marlins - duh.

Arsenal - Chelsea and Manchester United had the money, Arsenal took the title on a much smaller budget in the English Premier League.

Werder Bremen - In the German Bundesliga, a veritable minnow (comparatively) took the title from traditional favorite Bayern Munich

Big 12 Championship - K-State defeated OU

Hockey - who the hell are the Tamba Bay Lightning!??!!

European Championships - We don't know who won it yet, but all the teams left are underdogs. France, Italy, England, and Spain are all gone.

I'm sure there are other cases. But I can't remember more underdogs winning major championships in my life time.

2. haven

haven Member

Doh.

In the Spanish League, Valencia took the title from Mighty Real Madrid with their all-world caste of Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Beckham, and Raul.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I take issue with this one. We had a slow-ass quaterback. I don't know if LSU was much of an underdog once Baylor showed everyone that you just had to blitz to get to White. Hell, most of the friends I have at OU expected us to lose that one.

Also, the Pats were definitely not underdogs to the Panthers. In fact, they were favored for pretty much the entire playoffs.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The slow-ass quarterback also won the Heisman.

5. haven

haven Member

1. They were the underdog according to Vegas. OU, according to some neutrals could beat a few NFL teams. I never agreed with that - but it's a measure of how highly some thought of them.

2. Not in the championship. But nor were they the pre-season favorite from Vegas, either.

Hell, you further prove my point - the Panthers just *being* there was a triumph for underdogs everywhere :).

But I don't want to debate specifics, so much as say - holy crap, it's been a bad year for bandwagoning fans ;).

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Take it from me, He wouldn't have if our opponents had gone blitz happy earlier in the season.

But then again, I've always been a Paul Thompson guy (he played with my brother in HS), so I might be a little biased against JW.

I honestly don't want him starting for us next year, though. He's really just too damn slow.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'll give you that one. In fact, that's the example I thought you'd go with in your post.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i have to disagree with your marlins being the underdog. maybe they were the underdog to people who didnt watch baseball and only saw the name yankees v. random team and assumed the yanks would win. but the marlins were the best team and had been the best team in baseball ever since mckeon took over.

9. haven

haven Member

If you did a fantasy draft of both teams, I'd wager more Yankees would be taken than Marlins.

I'm not arguing that the underdog is necessarily talented... just that the teams that are generally expected to win... aren't.

I know that underdogs sometimes do prevail... they just seem to be having a collective bonanza lately.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

According to the media (aka ESPN), the Yankees and Lakers should never lose.

OU was damn lucky to even be in the Sugar Bowl. I still do not understand why they were favored to beat LSU in that game, in what was essentially a home game for the Tigers.

You NEVER bet against the SEC in the Sugar Bowl, when the game means something. That has been something that has been proven over the years (aka '93 Sugar Bowl with Alabama pounding my Canes).