1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Yao Restaurant & Bar - your experiences

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Laborer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

massive fail trying to make him look foolish with this post, and i mean massive.

2. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Not sure if serious or just Australian.

3. smr6

smr6 Member

LMAO thank god for no edit button.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Australian

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4sjyrmSXOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

he's australian...eats a lot of viennese food.

6. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

You mean Vietnamese?

And I've been to plenty of Thai restaurants and they look like they're from Taiwan. Chinese looking.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

the real question is: Is it better than the Benihana's next door?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

i've always thought it was pretty solid (americanized) chinese food. i guess i'm in the minority. that and qin dynasty are my 2 favorites in town.

speaking of restaurants in that center though, persian friends of mine tell me that Kasra is the best in town. have been meaning to try it for a while.

9. Prince

Prince Member

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

k he's gotta be trolling

11. David Stern

David Stern Member

He's not trolling...he's just trying to play it off by going with the shtick.

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

And yes I’ve been to Yao’s restaurant. Probably 4 or 5 years ago. It was the one on Westihemer. Like the other posters said it looks like any American Chinese restaurant. It was a big room and no one was there other than me and my girl. Food was unimpressive. Yao let me down. My question is why do his parents even own a restaurant if they don’t need the money and they obviously don’t care about serving a great product.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Went to the downtown location before the =VH= concert last month. Service was as bad as any service I've ever had at any restaurant EVER. And I'm a very low-maintenance diner.

Waiter sat us and took our food and drink order and we never saw him again. When we tried to flag him down for more drinks, he just yelled "food is almost ready!!" and kept walking. We had to go to the bar and get them ourselves. Trying to get our check was equally frustrating.

I'm usually a good tipper (20% - 25% for good service) and for literally the first time in my entire life, I didn't leave a tip at all. And I felt no remorse.

Food tasted like any random Chinese food joint you'd find in an airport or mall.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wouldn't Thai food be from Thailand?

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The food at Yao's is edible. But I like the place because it's ****ing Yao Ming's restaurant. Most restaurants don't have a bunch of Yao Ming and Rockets memorabilia inside of them, and that's why they're worse.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They tried to tell me once that I could not come in wearing shorts. Considering it isn't even the least bit fancy, I found this odd. I ate there but never went back

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Lol.

You know you never ate there GlenRice. You dumb ass.

2 people like this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Love Yao but dislike Yao's. That place has way high prices for its location. Just drive a mile or less and you'll be where all the best asian places are that make it the right way. Overall... the food was average... cold if anything so less than average. Also, the service was immature. Most of the people working there were way inexperienced and came off as too immature and uninterested in providing service.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have heard from 3 different people that the Peking Duck is the only thing on the menu that would be considered better than average. These same people say there are half a dozen places in Bellaire that are cheaper and better.

20. Toast

Toast Member

I think it's actually pretty good. Quality ingredients and all that. But yeah, I agree, it's probably a buck or two per plate over priced. But the hot teas are really good!