1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The WR formerly known as Chad Johnson...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theogcasey, Sep 4, 2008.

1. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I got an ESPN text alert when I was shopping for groceries earlier today and it read: Bengals WR Chad Johnson has legally changed his name to Chad Ocho Cinco.

It's confirmed, he's lost his damn mind... But what another great publicity stunt on his part...
    -------------
    September 4, 2008, 4:00 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Chad Johnson is no more. It's officially Chad Ocho Cinco in the NFL.

Chad Ocho Cinco

Ocho Cinco

The Cincinnati Bengals announced Thursday that they have begun "the process of listing the former Chad Johnson as Chad Ocho Cinco for all club business, per the legal change of his surname effected in Florida.

"The list of appropriate changes will include Ocho Cinco wearing his new surname on the back of his jersey for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore."

Ocho Cinco officially changed his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco in Broward County, Fla., last week. The league had not changed his name on their Web site or the team's Web site.

"It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before," he told the Bengals' Web site last week. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."

Two years ago, Johnson gave himself the moniker -- a reference in Spanish to his No. 85 -- and put it on the back of his uniform before a game. Quarterback Carson Palmer ripped it off before the kickoff. After the season, coach Marvin Lewis -- who dislikes Johnson's attention-getting stunts -- referred to the receiver as "Ocho Psycho."

Johnson has been a concern for the Bengals this season. He unsuccessfully lobbied for a trade in the offseason, threatening to sit out if he didn't get his way. When the Bengals refused, he relented and showed up for minicamp, but complained that his right ankle was bothering him.

He had bone spurs removed from the ankle and was limited at the start of training camp. In the second preseason game, he landed awkwardly and temporarily dislocated his left shoulder. Johnson is wearing a harness and expects to play in the season opener against Baltimore on Sunday.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

Source: ESPN

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I have never been more happy.

This is incredible.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So it would really suck for him if he got traded to a team that already had an 85 and they didn't want to give up the number.

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

It would certainly affect his bank account.

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

8. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Oh boy. Anybody else think this is just going to open the flood gates for other players? Or is Chad simply "mentally unique"?

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't think anybody else would really go to the trouble. Maybe Chad is trying to make a point.

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Actually, I think he was pointing out that ESPN sux...

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up. BTW, anybody hear about the new Google browser. I should start a thread about it.

No need to get defensive. Just a harmless little joke.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The XFL lives on!!!

[​IMG]

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Get back to me when this idiot ever wins the AFC North....or for that matter, even gets into the end zone versus the Black & Gold.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Dude, WTF. It's not like IROC was insulting you. Scanning through a few pages to see if something has already been posted isn't that hard. Calm down.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

is there another 85 better than ocho cinco at the WR position? i'd doubt he wouldnt have trouble getting the number from some scrub

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Ocho Cinco...something different.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

19. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Message Board Rule #1: By the time you receive any news, someone else has too and likely already made a post on it.