1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the worrisome direction coach RA leads this team to

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waihh, Mar 24, 2010.

1. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Yes. I am going to talk about defense. It is an old topic, but still worth more discussion imho.
    Here are the stat of opponent FG% and the rank in NBA for the past five seasons:

• 2005-2006 42.9% No. 2
      2006-2007 43.0% No. 1
      2007-2008 43.3% No. 2
      2008-2009 44.4% No. 5
      2009-2010 46.8% No. 22
    You do not need to look at the stats to know that the Rockets sucks in defense. How many players/teams has set season/career highs against your Houston Rockets this season? Tonight Thunders scored 72 points in just 24 minutes!
    I know over the years the Rockets has lost Deke, Artest, two Defensive Player of the Year caliber players. Also they are playing AB instead of Rafer Alston who was a much better defender at his position. I am not going to criticize the trades, actually I am very happy for almost all of them. What worries me is the direction of this team revealed by those trades, and other acts from the head coach and the organization. It is obvious that Chuck Hayes is playing less and less minutes over the course of this season. When the trade brought in Kelvin Martin and Ariza came back from injury, it was Battier who came off the bench. The organization and coach RA made it quite obvious here, they emphasize more on overscoring the opponent than quality defense. As the consequence, the opponent either scores tons of points in the paint, or simply shoots the light out from parameter.
    I doubt that the return of Yao next season is going to make dramatic changes. Yao is more of an offensive player than a defender. His lack of lateral quickness will only get worse after the surgery. With this kind of defense that the Rocket is playing, Yao will have trouble even staying in the court. If the parameter is not going to stop guard penetration, Yao will easily fall into foul trouble. Even if the Rockets bring in Bosh or Amare, the problem may not be solved. Neither of them are known to be great defender.
    Defense is about discipline, game plan, the willingness to do dirty work, and the willingness to play a grind-out game. Sadly coach RA does not excel here. I can not imagine coach RA would play Ryan Bowen whatsoever. Even if he did I do not think the flying Bowen would become the Dirk stopper as defense is more of game plan and teamwork.
    I certainly do not want this to become a "JVG is better than Adelman" thread. I just do not want this team to fall into the "outscoring opponent" trap. Numerous teams have proven it is not working, to name a few, Dallas/Golden State, Kings and Suns. Defense win championships may be overrated, but you have to be at least decent in defense to contend. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

Without Yao, we couldn't really be a defensive stopper. It's that simple

3. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

It's not so much his defensive abilities, it's how big he is and how he takes up lots of space so players can't just drive past the Rockets.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What the hell do u think woujld happen starting a 6'6 center. and a 6'9 PF

theres a reason we lead the league in charges taken

5. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

next year when yoa comes back and we draft a big center to back yao and probably sign camby we will become a strong defensive team again in addition we have good defenders in lowry, ariza, and battier and jeffries we should be fine next year when we are healthy and yao comes back. i forgot to mention hill as well, heck even hayes and floppy scola

6. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I'd say it's because of Yao being gone, but this is Clutchfans so I'd only be attacked by users feeding me information on why Yao sucks.

7. s3ts

s3ts Member

We need Yao, but Rick Adelman and Morey has failed in finding a back-up big to take the pressure off of Yao.

This is the biggest test of their capabilities. They have yet to show us up on that.

I believe in them, but I just feel like if they would've spent more effort on a big, they could've got someone.

And I don't want this to be an urgent matter when Yao comes back next season. If Yao plays 25 mpg, and Hayes is the one who is supposed to back him up, we're in serious trouble.

8. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

we draft a big this summer problem solved or sign marcus camby for 4 million 1 yr deal

9. LifeisButaDream

Don't worry the Defensive Beast known as Jordan Hill will be inserted in to the starting lineup very soon. :eek:

10. redao

redao Member

If Yao can only play 25 minutes, ......hmmm., better trade him for someone who can play with max money.

11. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Exactly, the rockets have been CRIPPLED by our bigs all season. Chuck Hayes is 6'6 and doesn't have enough height to rebound or defend the rim, Scola is 6'9, too slow and can't jump a lick, jeffries is weak, slow but lanky and smart, Hill is athletic but too raw at this point. Our frontcourt is like the special olympics. You saw tonight what sheer athleticism does to a team that has NONE and is severely undersized. With Yao, we are a top 10 defense again...book it.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

This is a bad thing......... why, again?

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Who cares about defense..the most important are wins...which are definitely a concern.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao missed a lot of games and we were still a top 5 defensive team those years.

15. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I was going to make a thread about this tonight actually. Defense is what wins championships, and with out we are not going to be to successful. It's upsetting watching all these teams run the score up when we play the.

Sure Yao is out and his presence in the middle was big, but something has to be done next season, the defense is horrible, we can't just rely on our offense.

16. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

It is kind of funny that people think Yao will solve all the defense problems. I would like to remind that Yao is not a great post defender as you make him to be. Rockets played better defense when Deke replaced Yao during the games. Yao does not have the respect from referees either.
    To me, coach's defense scheme matters as much as personnel. Ryan Bowen did not worth mentioning if not for a great defense scheme that involved teamwork. No matter who you are and who you are playing against, letting the opponent score 72 at half time is simply a failure of the coach and the whole team. It has to be changed and the coach should have a lot of efforts in.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

I think its fair to say Phil Jackson would have this team in the playoffs.

18. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

No he wouldn't. So, where's the "Center" part of the triangle offense?

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think its fair to say Phil Jackson has had the luxury of coaching loaded teams.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

are you high? serious question.