1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Wizard Update

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMania1991, Sep 12, 2010.

1. RocketMania1991

Oswalt just finished up a 4 hit complete game shutout of the Mets and continues to roll with the Phillies.

Since he Joined the Phillies

6-1
    63 2/3 Innings Pitched, 42 hits, 17 walks, 54 Strikeouts.

Easily could be 7-1 minus a familiar Brad Lidge collapse.

Its awesome watching him able to succeed and get his long due respect in Philadelphia.

As of right now I'd say he's the best pitcher in that rotation, he might not have the same durability or stamina as Halladay but his command is impeccable.

If I'm Charlie Manuel I'm handing the ball to Oswalt for game one of the playoffs, he's been there before and a proven commodity in the clutch.

Oswalt/Halladay/Hamels is the best rotation in baseball by far.

I hope the Phillies offense can stay together and get some consistency going, because they are set in the rotation.

Oswalt will give me a reason to stay tuned to the post-season games, get the man a ring.

/Mancrush over

2. wreck

wreck Member

Im happy for him. Both the astros and him have been doing great since parting

3. BigM

BigM Member

Oswalt has spent the last 8 years being the best second half pitcher in baseball so this isn't surprising. I'll be a monster Philly fan if they make the playoffs. I'd love to see Roy win a ring.

4. foo82

foo82 Member

This is the first time I remember that I am following a different team due to a player. I find myself rooting for the phillies now that he's over there. Really happy to see him helping the club get to the playoffs.

5. arif1127

arif1127 Member
    Supporting Member

Today he went 7 innings giving up 1 hit and 8 Ks. He is now 7-1 with a 1.76 ERA in 11 starts in Philly, the Phils are 10-1 in those starts.

Oh, and on the season, he now has the 2nd lowest WHIP in the majors with a 1.03, behind only Cliff Lee with a 1.00. He has given up only 158 hits in 205 2/3 innings pitched. Wow. He really has been rejuvenated in Philly, good for him, and good for the Phils.

#5 arif1127, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

7. Raven

Raven Member

I wish him nothing but the best. His talents were wasted in Houston.

8. rockets934life

Puma and Oswalt are on a collision course...it will be a blast see them going one on one in a pressure situation.

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Wrong forum. Not an Astro.

#9 BetterThanI, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. DieHard Rocket

Roy Oswalt will always be an Astro.

11. rockets934life

When a player takes you to the promised land or close to it, he is always part of your team. His performance in the 05 NLCS, will always be remembered..dude was a BEAST.

#11 rockets934life, Sep 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Very RandyJohnsonesque .....except we didn't get the haul the Mariners did.

13. Depressio

Depressio Member

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

IDK. Happ could have a career on par with Freddy Garcia. Wallace could end up being productive like Carlos Guillen.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Go Phillies! He earned it.

Will never root for the Yanks, even though I religiously check their box score just for Berk.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

So does that mean every Roger Clemens update deserves a thread in the Astros section? How 'bout Andy Pettite? Brandon Backe? Brad Lidge?

Look, I'm not saying he didn't do a lot for the 'Stros: obviously he did. And I'm a fan as much as the next guy. But check the uniform:

[​IMG]

He's no longer an Astro. He's moved on. Maybe we should, too...

17. RocketMania1991

What....?

Oswalt is arguably the greatest franchise player we've ever had only behind Bags and Biggio.

We drafted him and he did everything for this franchise, if Roy has the chance to retire in an Astros uniform I'm sure he would.

Who cares about the uniform...? That's just how sports goes, just because a guy goes to a different franchise doesn't mean we can't love him the same.

Let's put it this way, if Oswalt went into the Hall of Fame he'd be going in as an Astro and nothing else.

Oswalt and Berkman mean a lot more to the franchise than Brad Lidge or any other random ex-players you just named.......

18. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

How short your memory is...

Oswalt is a great pitcher, yes. Oswalt was a great Astro, yes.

Oswalt is the greatest Astro ever? I think not. My vote still goes to Mr. Nolan Ryan, who also moved on.

Yes, these players meant a lot to the franchise. They chose to move on to other teams (and/or the team chose to move in a different direction). Do they still mean something to the fans? Of course. But they aren't Astros. They play for the Phillies and Yankees, respectively. This is where we cheer for the ASTROS, and last I checked, these players aren't part of the Good Guys any more.

Here are the guys I cheer for:

Fernando Abad
    Tim Byrdak
    Gustavo Chacin
    Enerio Del Rosario
    Nelson Figueroa
    Jeff Fulchino
    J.A. Happ
    Matt Lindstrom
    Wilton Lopez
    Brandon Lyon
    Mark Melancon
    Brett Myers
    Bud Norris
    Felipe Paulino
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Henry Villar
    Wesley Wright
    Jason Castro
    Brian Esposito
    Humberto Quintero
    Geoff Blum
    Matt Downs
    Anderson Hernandez
    Chris Johnson
    Jeff Keppinger
    Tommy Manzella
    Angel Sanchez
    Brett Wallace
    Brian Bogusevic
    Jason Bourgeois
    Michael Bourn
    Carlos Lee
    Jason Michaels
    Hunter Pence

19. rockets934life

No way...Love Ryan and he was great but Oswalt overtook him as an Astros on my greatness scale. I mean, dude, I get the guy has moved on and is wearing a Philly uniform but when a guy does so much for your franchise you cheer for him no matter the uniform.

Andy, Roger and Brad all did great things while here but are more recognized for accomplishments in other places and they did not help build the Stros foundation.

I get you cheer for the Stros we have now but always have to remember the past Stros who brought everyone such great memories.

#19 rockets934life, Sep 23, 2010
  20. Major

Major Member

What's the deal with the forum police? There are moderators here. If they feel it's offtopic, they'll move it. If they don't, they won't. I've never understood why regular posters feel the need to chime in about whether something is in the right forum - if you don't care, just don't post in it. It's not like you saying some is offtopic is going to convince a moderator to move or not move it.