1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Wire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Through season 3. Some aspects are definitely better than Breaking Bad. Some Breaking Bad clearly has it over The Wire. But you're definitely talking about 2 of the best shows ever.

Favorite character? Omar. By far one of the most unique characters in TV history. Also the dude with the bowtie.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

For me. El Heisenberg.

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I actually started the first episode this past weekend. I was tired as hell though, so I fell asleep about half way through. I plan on starting it up again.

Episode 1 seemed somewhat slow, so does it pick up quickly?

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Absolutely, hang in there and let the show set itself up.

6. Buck Turgidson

Preferred Fuzzy Dunlop myself.

7. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/70eU840lc38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Recently finished watching the first season. I liked it, but wasn't blow away. Is there something wrong with me? :confused:

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I liked The Wire but I wouldn't say it's even in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad. There was like a season and a half of The Wire that I didn't even think was good at all.

10. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

The Wire is a great show, but I don't think it should be compared to Breaking Bad. They're just too different. Breaking Bad is a story about Walter White's journey, and The Wire is a story about criminal life in Baltimore. Picture the Wire as a theme park. You're dropped in, and each season you discover a different section of the park. Breaking Bad is more like a roller coaster. You already know how it's going to end, but you're locked in to enjoy the ride.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Breaking Bad
    Deadwood
    The Wire

in that order

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The Wire is probably my second favorite show behind Breaking Bad. It is good that there are such a wide variety of characters. Lots of good characters in the show. My favorites were Omar and Prop Joe -- he cracked me up a lot.

I would say seasons 2 and 5 were the weakest. The rest are pretty amazing.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Wire is great. Season 3 and Season 4 were the best. Season 4 was more resonating, but Season 3 was just so intense.

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Breaking Bad is up there, but it's not the best of all time.

Most of the people I've met that say that only recently started watching the TV show, and they got caught up with the media/social media hype. Since the majority of them watched crappy TV like Survivor, they think BB is the greatest thing ever. Also, it's mostly younger people of the internet generation (18-35) that love BB. I don't know how old the posters in this thread are, but there may be a few older people who still rank BB #1.

The Sopranos
    Twin Peaks
    Oz
    The Wire
    Six Feet Under
    Seinfeld
    Deadwood
    Justified
    The Shield
    Lost
    (flew over the heads of most viewers, very misunderstood show)

All the above are great contenders for quality TV, excluding miniseries. The Wire is still #1 for me. When it first came out 11 years ago, it set the bar really high for me.

15. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I watched the whole season 1 few months back. Couldn't get myself up to watch season 2 because I really didn't like any of the characters. Only one that I kind of like is Detective Lester. The show itself is quite good, but I guess if you don't like the people in it, you can't really enjoy it. Well, at least that's the case for me.

Just like Prison Break, didn't like anyone there. Everytime I see the Dr., I see Lori from Walking Dead.

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad are consensus top 3 dramas of all time (especially the first two, it may be a little too early to judge BB)

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Breaking Bad is the best TV show of all-time. It's better than The Wire in my book. BB never had a Season 2 like The Wire.. ugh.

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

watched every episode of the wire 3 years ago, but i mostly forced myself and didn't get immersed into the series like BB. I guess because it had too many characters and didn't zoom in like BB for me

19. VBG

VBG Member

The Wire for me is clearly better than Breaking Bad. I'm still on Season 3 of Breaking Bad. Just forcing myself to watch because its apparently so good. Just didn't get gripped. Don't really even like anyone on Breaking Bad.

Found the characters in the Wire a lot more interesting. Found the story more interesting. Omar is my favorite TV character ever.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Michael >>>>>>>>>>>..