1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Wild, Wild, West. How Do the Rockets Break in?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Jul 2, 2024.

?

Which of these teams will the Rockets be better than to make the post-season?

This poll will close on Nov 2, 2024 at 4:01 PM.
  1. L.A. Clippers

2. Phoenix

3. L.A. Lakers

4. New Orleans

5. Sacramento

6. Golden State

7. Utah

8. Memphis

9. San Antonio

10. Portland

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Nuggies too

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree.

Suns are another candidate to tank.

Suns have been open about, "wanting to try it one more time with Durant, Beal and Booker."
    If the Suns find themselves outside of 6th seed by Jan 1st......you may see a fire sale
    at the deadline.

Durant won't come to Houston but Houston will be involved in a possible 3-team or
    4-tram trade. Booker or Beal coming to Houston. Sengun and/or Jalen Green
    going to another team. Suns getting their picks back much like the Nets, wanting
    to control their own destiny in a Tank-Job.

If Green or Sengun were given an extension......the team obtaining them
    would have to pay the remainder of their salary this year, but the extension
    part would be structure as a poison pill way. Say the amount of the
    extension averaged over the amount of years. The team obtaining Green
    would have to pay Green $35 mil per year (if that was the average over the years).

Teams would rather have that ascending, gradual amount over the years.
    I believe that's the main reason neither got the extension.....yet.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I hope for significant growth and I am sure we see a certain amount of it. But lets get real, most of the other teams in the west will be better also, and several upgraded their roster. We didn't. I expect we are are going to be in a real fight, just to make the play-in.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why the heck would we upgrade our roster when we are full of young guys with potential? We have a young guy at every spot we have 7 core guys now for 5 positions on the court. We need to determine who are the young guys worth building around first and we can't do that if we trade a bunch of young guys for "improvements". If you paid attention to the Rockets last year you can see Sengun, Jalen and Jabari had massive improvement to their game and that was a reason the Rox doubled their win total.When you consider we lost Sengun and Tari to injury and it was their first time under Udoka system this team's performance this season will be shocking.

The worst mistake you can do as a young team is be LA Clippers and trade a young SGA and multiple picks for a secondary star like Paul George.

#84 roslolian, Jul 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    RLP55, Ancient Moabite and FLASH21 like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think you misunderstand me. I am not saying we should have upgraded our roster, I was merely pointing out that other teams got better by doing so themselves.

And by that I mean that it will take at least a moderate developmental leap on the Rockets part just to keep up with some teams since we are relying completely on development for a better team this year.

We cant afford to keep players whose development is caught in quicksand any longer. Those that are need to be jettisoned as early as possible.

#85 jim1961, Jul 9, 2024
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Most.ofnthe teams that added pieces are compensating for the fact their core players are aging and past their primes.

Good chance teams like he Lakers, Warriors, Suns etc regress this year and contemplate tanking by the last third of the season except the Suns who don't have their picks. Definitely a chance of that with these teams especially f one of their older stars get injured for the season

Ancient Moabite and roslolian like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t believe the Sengun on the trade block stuff. I think the Rockets love him, but he responds to tough love and pressure. I might quit the Rockets permanently if they added Beal. I think they would give up a lot for Booker.

roslolian likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Other teams are getting older too so I dont think its as dire as you are saying. Yes the West is tough but Rox will be in the mix along with other teams. For example GSW, Lakers, Minny and Suns didnt add anybody significant.

I dont get the latter part of your post we have only been rebuilding for 3 yrs and Jalen and Sengun only going into their 4rth season and are only 22 yrs old. You act like the window is closing in 2 yrs do you know what age Lebron and MJ won a ring? Hell Spurs and Pistons have been rebuilding longer than us are they rushing? Its kinda ridiculous you have some ultimatum on a bunch of incoming 4rth years and younger. You want our players to be more advanced than the best players in NBA history.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

I feel we need Zion on this roster. Ime would bring the best out of him. Give them Sengun & let New Orleans deal with his fans

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Ridiculous. You must be a troll. No rocket fan could be so stupid.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can neither confirm nor deny any such specific trade.

I can confirm Ime Udoka wants to win, make the playoffs, and would sell his own grandmother to
    get it done. If the Rockets are hanging around #10 somewhere in January, look for a trade incoming.

Morey stressed financial flexibility in case a star becomes available.......Stone and Eli Witus
    we're part of that Morey team (staff). Morey recently pulled the same stuff with Maxey.

Doesn't surprise me that Stone hasn't / won't extend either player before opening night.

#91 ApacheWarrior, Jul 9, 2024
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is.

13. keeez

keeez Member

[​IMG]

We were a handful of late game free throws from being a play-in team last year.

A lot of the fringe teams made a bunch of lateral moves while I feel we got better. We get a healthy Tari back. We add Adams, Reed, and even if it's just ONE of the core 6 taking a big leap - we make the playoffs easily.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think he will extend them either before opening night. It keeps their options open for getting cap space if something breaks on the trade front and it is insurance for a devastating injury (think Sam Bowie or Greg Oden).

jim1961 likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Extension kicks in the following year so it doesn't bother the team salary this season.

But it would hit a team trading for one or the other. Instead of the next team getting the player
    with an ascending or descending salary like:

(25/26): $33 mil
    (26/27): $36 mil
    (27/28): $40 mil
    (28/29): $43 mil
    (29/30): $48 mil

would change to:

(25/26): $40 mil
    (26/27): $40 mil
    (27/28): $40 mil
    (28/29): $40 mil
    (29/30): $40 mil

Now, what Morey did was hold up on signing Maxey until a star free agent (Paul George) was
    brought in first.....then sign their own player(s) (Maxey).
    _________

Rockets also want to see if both Jalen Green and Sengun can work together.....which mainly
    deals with Udoka pulling the right strings. I've wanted Sengun to shoot from
    3 for three years now. I now for a fact Udoka is asking Sengun to come back
    with the confidence to shoot the shot.

Udoka knows, Jalen Green fits with Cam Whitmore, Tari, Jabari, Reed Sheppard, VanVleet,
    Brooks, Tate, Jock Landale as they ran a system compatible to their skill sets in March.
    Fatigue kicking in being an issue.

Not all players nowadays are comfortable playing next to a post up presence-Dunker
    spot slower pace thing. Ultimately, everything is kosher, if Sengun starts hitting 3's.
    Then Jalen Green, Cam Whitmore, Jabari, VanVleet, Reed can start shredding defenses.

That financial flexibility I mentioned, Stone having, allows for moves this season and next
    off-season. So I don't see either one (Jalen Green and Sengun) signed before opening
    night, as well.

I agree the injury aspect also plays a part in the decision.

#95 ApacheWarrior, Jul 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  16. hakeemthagreat

How long have you lived in Turkey?

17. ico4498

ico4498 Member

CL-TG.png

"bruk down all the walls and build some bridges instead." Shabba Ranks