1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "why?" factor...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Sep 28, 2001.

1. ScreamingRocketJet

To analogise...I always get concerned when I see something on sale that I have wanted for a while...but then find out it's been sitting there on sale for weeks and no one has bought it. I always wonder "is everyone some sort of dumb a$$ ...or am I missing something here?"

That's the first thought that came into my mind when I read we have signed Marc Jackson...

WHY did New York offer much more $ to Clarence Weatherspoon?
    Why didn't they sign Jackson?
    WHY did New Jersey bust open the bank for Todd Maculloch?
    Why didn't they sign Jackson?

Why did a guy who almost won ROY LAST season...have to wait this long into the off season to be signed?

Why didn't Golden State try harder to keep him?

I am really happy we have got him...he seems just what we need...

I just can't shake this feeling of why the hell he wasn't signed by anyone else...?

Anyone got any reasons?
    :confused:

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because God is a Rocket's fan.

DaDakota

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well the New York GM Scott Layden is an idiot, so lets get that out of the way. As for why other teams passed on him, I don't have a clue. I seriously doubt that anybody with a brain would think that McCullough is better then Marc Jackson, but it is the New Jersey Nets. Maybe they felt McCullough was a true center. New York didn't have any cap space, and when they got their exemption they were going to offer it to Jackson, but Houston got theirs first. A lot of other teams are cash strapped. There are tons of teams that would have taken Marc Jackson if they could. It's the same reason why Anthony Mason can't latch on. The cap is killing people. I just realized that the Knicks signed Weatherspoon straight up. Layden should be fired for that. Period. With several big men available, why would they do that? They might as well have signed Anthony Mason!

#3 RocksMillenium, Sep 28, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2001
  4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

He sure isn't a Bulls fan!!

at least not since the devil and son (Jerry Krause and Scottie Pippen) thought they could win without MJ

5. ScreamingRocketJet

Weatherspoon has got to be the most puzzling signing of the off season...

They have no centre...and about 6 undersized forwards...so they sign Weatherspoon?:rolleyes:

6. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Where did Layden come from, let me see idiot-Utah Jazz, it makes sense now.

:D :rolleyes:

7. Matador

Matador Member

Honestly, I have no idea why MarC Jackson hadn't been signed yet. I take sollace though in the fact that Anthony Mason is going through the exact same thing. I mean he was an All Star last year for goodness sake and he still hasn't garnered much attention. Maybe it's something to do with the luxery tax. :confused:

8. The Voice of Reason

Anthony mason and NY will never talk. when he was here before he did something that pissed someone off... cant remember what, buy i thought it had something to do with someones wife.

trust me, the fans of NY loved, and will always love mason, but he is not a friend of the organization.

its a damn shame too

9. ScreamingRocketJet

Mason is a VERY different case...

The guy is old + has a very bad rap + discipline problems + was charged with assaulting two youung girls...etc

I really don't think they are comparable...

10. Matador

Matador Member

I agree that MarC and Mase are totally different. But Mason was an All Star last year. One would think a player one year removed from being one of the top 12 or so players in their conference regardless of anything else would garner some teams attention. It is confusing. I guess that's why I'm not a GM.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Part of the reason why teams might have backed out from signing Jackson to a long term contract was because of his groin injury which restricted him to playing only 48 games and the fact he was a rookie probably went against him.