1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The White Community

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Aug 6, 2013.

?

Does this thread title amuse, alarm or offend you? Please explain.

1. AMUSE

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ALARM

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. OFFEND

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This constitutes "defending"...

Now you know.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That does not constitute defending. It's a simple explanation of why he lapsed ON THIS ONE OCCASION and why he should not be thrown out with the bath water.

In some thirty years of public service, he had never sniffed a controversy such as this but put you on your high-horse and it's off with his head. Glad you are so perfect; you probably sleep well at night.

I lauded his apology and did not wish he had retracted it. I defended him from the likes of you not what he had said in some kind of blunt way like you tried and convicted him.

Use your brain and your heart on occasion....

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

so that's what this thread is about? :rolleyes:

What value do you all get from this forum?

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It amuses me. You don't hear that phrase often (if ever), at least if you are white. It sounds funny.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The three word title doesn't have any effect on me at all. It means nothing to me. I didn't say they were in any way provocative because they aren't at all.

All I did was point out some of your history on the board and find it funny that you believe anyone in this thread that is annoyed would think it was simply because of the words in your title.

Nobody is annoyed by the words in your title. Not one single person.

7. NMS is the Best

Is this thread about Cammy White? Because she totally kicks ass in Street Fighter.

[​IMG]

Oh, its not? Carry on then. :grin:

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

10. giddyup

Yes, it sure does... but "the black community" does not. Ain't that a gas?!

11. giddyup

I know you are not that stupid.

You accused me of defending Young's use of the word "wetback." I did not do that. I did, however, defend his character and reputation from the cheap shots of your ilk.

You really can't understand that difference? Oh my. :eek:

12. giddyup

Having you represent my history on this board is like having Ben Bradlee write Richard Nixon's biography.

Be on the lookout because some day in the near future, I'll trot out the words "the white community" in some discussion and all hell will rain down for that word choice.

You guys sniffed this one out. I should have gotten someone else to do it for me.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Not really. Sweet thread

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What is really funny (in a sad way) is that giddy, with his Michael Scott-like self-awareness, is chuckling to himself thinking he has been so clever.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

giddy is the living embodiment of the Dunning–Kruger effect.
    Mr. Superior intelligence. Hahahahaha.

16. giddyup

Thank you for your contribution to what makes this place underperform.

Statistically, my intelligence is superior. If you bother to read what I wrote, I stated that I know that there are plenty of people here with even superior intelligence. Good for them.

The whole point of bringing it up was to try and reduce the number of childish accusations about me (or other posters) being stupid.

Those of you who consider yourself more left-leaning are the main perpetrators of this. Not sure where you learned that you have to try and demean your opponent but you sure did learn it.

One of my best, leftward-leaning friends was looking for a home to buy a few years ago. It happened to be during an election season and she used political signs in yards to help her determine if she would like a neighborhood. That would never occur to me. It's a LEFT thing, I guess.

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

It's not very effective...

18. giddyup

No it wasn't but I still stand by my theory. They sniffed this one out. As I've said, they are not dummies. They were responding more to me than to the question.

NO WAY they let someone speak for "the white community." I've been debating these guys for ten years. BTW, I've not used that term before this experiment-- which failed on the surface.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I feel completely comfortable giving you unfettered permission to speak for the white community.

[​IMG]

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm betting you can guess who they are in this forum.

Nearly 4 in 10 white Americans have zero non-white friends
    http://news.yahoo.com/nearly-4-10-white-americans-zero-non-white-180000273.html

A new poll shows that we still live in a very racially segregated country
    How "post-racial" is America? Not very, according to an ongoing Reuters poll, which shows that nearly 40 percent of white Americans are surrounded exclusively by friends who are also white Americans.

Accounting for coworkers along with friends and relatives, the poll found that 30 percent of Americans overall aren't mixing with people of other races.

That could partly explain the racial divide on issues like the George Zimmerman trial. After he was found not guilty of murdering unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, a Pew Research Center poll found that 86 percent of African-Americans expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict, compared to just 30 percent of whites.

The same poll found that 78 percent of blacks said that the case should spur a conversation about race. Only 28 percent of whites agreed, with 60 percent of them saying that the issue of race was getting too much attention.

A recent study by the American Sociological Review found that while America's neighborhoods are more diverse than ever, most of the people moving to those diverse neighborhoods haven't been white and black families. The Reuters poll backed that finding, noting that Latinos were the most likely to have friends and marry outside of their own race.

"There has been some progress, but whites and blacks in particular still tend to live in separate neighborhoods," Camille Zubrinsky Charles, a professor of sociology at the University of Pennsylvania, told NBC News.

While American might look like a divided country now, the poll did contain hopeful signs for the future.

Only 10 percent of Americans under 30 years old reported having no friends, coworkers, or family outside of their race — half the rate for the country as a whole.