1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The what's wrong with Harden thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Karolik, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We need to run plays to get harden easier shots. It's either a pick and roll or ISO. When it's working, it's fine. But sometimes, teams guard that PnR well and that's when we struggle.

2. boiler

boiler Member

BS. This thread is about Harden's declining in the last two months. Lin was decent in most of the games during that stretch. On the other hand, Harden played great during the time Lin was struggling.

In my opinion, Harden was simply worn out. The coaching staff have no clue how to manage players' minutes or they simply don't care.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I do wonder about Harden's health and legs. It's also curious the decline in his use of the euro step. At the start of the year he used a variation of it almost literally every drive to the basket. The last month or two it seems like he might use it once or twice a game on average.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I think you're just seeing a player with the effects of going through the minutes, pressure and beating at the end of his first season as, not only a full-time starter, but THE MAN on his team night in and night out.

If you remember, at the beginning of the season, how he was just relentless at attacking the basket; both on the break and in the half court. He couldn't be stopped. I don't have the numbers, but I'd be willing to predict he was going to the line more than in the last month or two. Defenses adjusted and the refs seem to have adjusted and allow a little more physicalness against him as well. Remember also, the PF position has changed on the roster and the court is not as spread. But, I think he's a little worn out and beaten up... so, he's not attacking quite as much and with the same vigor and, again, defenses (to a certain extent) have taken away his driving avenues allowing for his defender to play up on him more against his 3 pt. shot. He's still a star player who has the ability, craftiness and talent to still get his many times though, especially at the line.

But, it all takes it's toll... physically and mentally, especially going through it the first time. I think next year, now knowing what to expect and preparing for it in the offseason, we'll see an even better player next year.... much more efficient and his outside shot will improve as well. Book it! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Agree with all those who think he's worn out/suffering from minor injuries. He's slower, not attacking as much, and probably holding the ball longer for energy reasons.

McHale allowing ISO-ball on too many occasions and not drawing up more creative plays to get Harden open doesn't help, but it can't be the main reason because it's not like we were doing that before.

And to those who say they "figured out" his game, I disagree. Like all the best players, it doesn't really matter if the defender knows what Harden will do, when Harden is on his game he does it so well that you can't stop him anyway. That's what separates superstars. You have to respect his 3 point shot, but if you crowd him too close he drives, and he's so strong and such a great finisher he has a great chance of making a good pass, drawing a foul and/or making the shot. And you still don't know when he's going to take his three and when he's going to drive, and what route he'll take. That's enough misdirection for Harden right there.

6. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

There are multiple answers to this question:

1. It's his first season as a starter
    2. He is used to playing less than 30 mpg
    3. He got banged up from all the contact he draws
    4. The injuries have caused him to be more tentative with his eurostep
    5. No real PG
    6. A coach with no offensive game plan

1 person likes this.
  7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

No spacing without a stretch 4 that can hit shots.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Strippers.

1 person likes this.
  9. towW

towW Member

IMO they need to give Lin some creative time. Maybe a little probing after a pick or probing in general like Nash used to do. It could open up shots for Parsons, Harden or any other shooter that's on the floor. Instead of resting too much on Harden to make the majority of the shots. It will leave Harden more efficient and with more energy.

Give Lin the green light. When he has the ball we know what is possible from him as seen in NY. He is assisting the same amount and shooting the same amount of shots at the same percentage as he did in NY only with extra minutes. He seems efficient enough to take a larger role in handling the ball than he does.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's either driving to get a layup/fouled or shooting a 3.

What's wrong?

He's predictable. That's how the whole team plays, but when we go to Harden 99% of the time in crunch time, then the opposing team only has to guard him and play the pass. That's why LA got a hand on his pass. what else was he going to do? He's not going to rise up for the 15 footer. If he picks up his dribble/jumps at the free throw line, he's passing.

He needs to mix in more mid range shots to keep the defense honest.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was going to post something like this, but you beat me to it. Nice job!

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He missed Patrick Patterson. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. Albinoswordfish

You're one of the worst posters on this site, how does this contribute anything to the original thread other than to start a flame war.

Anyway I think biggest thing is that teams have figured the Rockets out. They realize that they have no scoring options at the 4 and 5 spot so just key in on the Rockets perimeters and don't bother guarding the frontcourt.

In order for the Rockets to improve they need to get a reliable scorer at either the 4 or 5 position. I think the most realistic option at this point is Paul Millsap from the Jazz as they're overloaded at that position with Favors, and I'm pretty sure they're looking to deal him at some point.

14. AVoiceInACrowd

I have to agree with you. Lin's shooting was off last night, but he was effective as a distributor. 8 assists to 2 TO's. It's not just that he had 8 assists, it's the fact that 7 of those assists were for easy dunks or lay ups which gets the big guys involved in the game.

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I dont think you can blame Harden's performance yesterday on Lin. I thought Lin played pretty well when he was in the game. And like most people i wish he was in more since most coaches play their starters more minutres during the playoffs for playoff caliber games.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

cause he plays 40mpg

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

McHales playoff rotation is going to be the same as his regular season rotation. Just watch. In the post season you play the guys you trust & for some reason Lin & Asik are on a much shorter leash than Harden.

18. brick

brick Member

True. But McHale screwed up everything at the beginning of the season like SG playing PG, PG and PF playing stretch 4s etc. Now starters don't think the coach knows better about winning than themselves and Harden decides when and how he plays. Poor coach !

19. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Ahhh, the table has turned.

Earlier in the season people blamed Harden for Jeremy's struggle.

Now people blame Jeremy for Harden's struggle.

20. Smallball_Ownz

He has been figured out. if he would have played through pain and injury since the all star game he would be dumber than i thought and the coaching staff,too. This he is tired argument is BS,imo. (no offense). he just doesnt get as many calls and instead of shooting effective midrange shots or post ups,which he sadly doesnt have in his arsenal he keeps chucking brick after brick. when he actually penetrates he looks lost more often than not just throwing his arms up shooting a prayer and if it misses looking at the refs with a sad baby face.
    You know how he could improve dramatically even if he really is injured a little? By playing off the ball. it is really that simple. we have great playmaker in lin who yesterday was responsible for 7 easy buckets and the game tying assist to chandler. if jeremy would be allowed to play PG duties he would average around 8-10 Assists a game. hardens TO would decrease dramatically and his effecency would be of the charts. he would actually be able to get his Fg % near 50 % again. By cutting, hitting deadly spot ups, here and there a midrange shot running into lanes for easy lay ups etc. the whole team would benefit from this as the ballmovement would increase everybody would be involved and harden would still be the highest scorer. oh and he might hav energy left for defense, as i refuse to believe he cant do any better on that end and think its because hes tired that his defense is so sucky. the rockets could be deadly even to OKC if they played like that. aint gonna happen though, thanks to McClueless.