1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The west's silence over Bahrain smacks of double standards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T-Mac1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Is this a surprise really? It's in the hands of Al Jazeera IMO, but that's a long story.

But then again, the Bahraini pro-democracy crowd have not IMO been harsh enough in condemning the Iranian government or demonstrated strongly enough that sunnis have nothing to fear in a democratic majority-shiite Bahrain.

While this wouldn't change the mind of the Bahraini gov't, I'm sure it would create far more support globally.

2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Good article with decent insight.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A member who I forgot posted this article from the Asia Times that detailed the writer's views on the "deal".
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MD02Ak01.html

I'm not sure how much has been corroborated as Pepe's articles look like CounterPunch material (blending personal analysis and facts without sourcing them makes you sound nutty, Pepe), but a lot makes sense on the surface and definitely fits the realpolitiks we saw in presidents other than Dubya.

If mostly true, a move like this would be so unsavory to admit that an editor from the corporate press wouldn't have anything to gain from it.

At least they can air another piece about how Wikileaks is treasonous.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Junkies don't jack with their dealers.

[​IMG]

5. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...drown-the-protests-in-shia-blood-2284199.html

Well.. I guess Alkalifa regime is just as bad as Gaddafi and Bashar.

6. T-Mac1

CNN report on Bahrain

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7MEKkJVFKWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#26 T-Mac1, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Just went to my University today after a long break after the events in the university. Lot of cameras, Lot of Security and a lot of Fences had to walk maybe 30 min to get where I need to go

After several excelled Shia students were thrown after investigations arrested the same day tortured but thankfully released after short period of time.

I have been living in fear since they announced the university will be opened again this year because If you go you risk being harassed, arrested at any moment and if you drop out of this course you cant guarantee you'll be allowed back plus the possibility of suspicion and therefore being arrested(Any bahrani prison will make Sing Sing look like a 5 star hotel).

There promising signs like
    # The current trail at Lahia International criminal court
    # News of Unrest between the King and his uncle the PM
    # The US congress paying attention to the situation with more aggressiveness
    # Dispute between Bahrain and Qatar have pusher Al Jazeera to report a lot more but were not begging for their coverage

8. T-Mac1

You mean the Hague ICC ? As for your 4th point, Aljazeera indeed have started to cover Bahrain, Here's the latest report which also contains a message to President Obama from oppressed Bahrainis :

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/05/201151511050523260.html

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I didn't say lives were saved. Hell, the UN's probably killed more Libyan soldiers in bombing than would have been killed in Benghazi without an intervention. I said there wasn't a massacre in Benghazi. I think a massacre in Benghazi would have been much worse for the future of Libya than the shelling of Misrata. I never pretended like lives were saved. It's not a simple numbers game.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We can't fix every danged country, some of them need to help themselves....

DD

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Interesting in these articles how often, when decrying the problems in the country, that the US is named first... "in the US allied Gulf Kingdom" and "facing little criticism from the US...." not that the US is named at all, but first.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/3112/the-ongoing-struggle-in-bahrain_an-interview-with-

An informative opinion.

More at link.

13. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Isn't Bahrain like the only country in the world that wasn't effected by this economic crisis? what the hell are people complaining about? Democracy? So you can let in the bankers and ruin your economy?

99 percent say no to this.