1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The west's silence over Bahrain smacks of double standards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T-Mac1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/29/bahrain-saudi-arabia-iran-west?CMP=twt_gu

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the article sums up very succinctly with this: "dominance of western realpolitik over values." We might wish it could be different in Bahrain, but it'd be costly to us. Just like we'd like the revolution to succeed in Syria but don't dare to get in there and help. I think one can look at it and call the Americans hypocrites. Or, one can look at it and say, "Thank God they had the lattitude to do something in Libya at least!" Or both. We might be hypocrites, but at least there wasn't a massacre in Benghazi.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

We can't exert our preference over the entire globe in every situation, not that we haven't given it hell trying. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. That's not to say our motivations might sometimes not be what some would like, American citizens included. I don't think we're alone in that regard.

I'm getting tired of everyone b****ing about everything we do or don't do.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The notion of pressuring Bahrain to appease Iran's regime is complete nonsense. The writer needs to go back home to Never Neverland with Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The West isn't silent on this issue. The US gave the green light for Saudi Arabia to intervene and crush the people's democratic movement in Bahrain. I guess this is one family dictatorship the United States is not willing to abandon.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama's silence over Syria smacks of double standards

fixed.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

If we're involved in the situation, it will come back and bite us in the ass. Years from now when the puppet government we install is imposing tyranny on their people, they'll have only us to blame. We shouldn't take a side. We should just let the situation play out without our intervention.

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Guddafi may have massacred 3000-4000 in Benghazi, but it would have been over with. The total deaths have already surpassed that number a long time ago. A thousand or more people just died in Misrata alone in the last couple days. To act like lives were "saved" is beyond ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

11. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Just another example in the long list of examples of Western hypocrisy. And another example why the West is not taken seriously anymore by the rest of the emerging world....

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Got a copy that doesn't blow up the borders?

Or add spoilers

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

14. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Why the west?? Let the Arab nations intervene.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is why I pretty much regret my reluctant support for our intervention. I would have hated to see the idealistic kids who were brave and or foolish enough to start the revolution and their immediate families killed and or in prision. Looking at it hard headedly, there will be much more suffering with the protracted civil war and or/ the West doing another shock and awe campaign with occupation and installation of a regime the West supports.

It was and remains a tough call.m

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The West and the USA could give a crap about democracy in Saudi, Kuwait etc. as long as they give us the oil on terms we more or less want.

The price is high to ordinary US citizens, but it doesn't tank our economy as they are obigated to use American contractors to build highways and shopping malls and make huge purchases from our military industrial complex.

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Whatever. Maybe everyone should get off our jock.

18. Landry92

Landry92 Member

I don't think the US can do anything about it I think no one can & just nobody is asking for the US government to send the troops what people are asking for is to condemn or to peer pressure

so were not waiting for the Obama administration to grow a conciseness only god has the power to save us

Thnkx for considerate posts
    Smh

19. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What do you mean by blow up the borders? Is that some sort of pun?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, your defiantly symbolic picture is ruining the topic by expanding the forum dimensions and forcing people to scroll the page to read posts. A fix would be to replace the image with a smaller one or add the spoiler tag to it.

The boards are being defaced by a graphic bomb!