1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Wesley Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ceonwuka, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Pretty much everyone here on CF.net can agree that our backcourt is our weak-link and that at least one of our rotation guys (Sura, James, Wesley, Barry) needs to go. Id say about 70% of us want to keep Barry, 50% want Sura and about 40% want us to keep Mike James around.

As for Wesley, the question isn't if we should trade him, but when.

Although it goes against conventional expiring contract wisdom, I'd like to move him this offseason because quite frankly I dont feel confortable with him starting next to DS (it seems 75% likely that we get him with the LLE). ... But Sura would start at SG if we brought in Damon... Sura isnt a terrible shooter, but he wont be as proficent as Wesley in the role of 5th option catch-and-shoot guy. Besides I think Sura would be best used playing point guard off of the bench where he can use his size/strength to his advantage.

Who can we get for Wes before the season starts? (Please dont say DA, if we dont trade for him, he'll be an amnesty cut)

2. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

I'd say trade James instead of Wesley. James is KILLING the team chemistry. He's not a team player and he can't handle his nba ring well. He should give it to to Frodo. Attitude problem he has.

3. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

IMO Even though Mike James has some flaws, he is still younger and more athletic than Wesley, and you saw how we were in the dallas series...we looked to old in our backcourt.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wesley's the only real starting two on this club (outside of T-Mac), trading with no backup plan would be pure stupidity.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

and see... I didn't even know we were in the running for Jaric ;)
    [​IMG]

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Wesley plays better Defense than anyone in our backcourt. His shooting is overall a good thing. His minutes may be limited.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Mike James is our best backcourt defender. Wesley is OK as long as he doesn't guard a much taller player. While we obviously can't lose him unless we replace him, he is our weakest starter and SG is our weakest position if you take T-Mac out of the equation.

Wesley should have trade value now because he can contribute. We cannot afford to have him as our starter next season. Our front line is going to be awesome and we are on the verge of having a special team. CD must somehow close a deal or two on improving our backcourt because we are just about there. I'd say there is a 90% chance Wesley gets traded shortly after the CBA becomes effective.

8. Genuine

Genuine Member

:D :D :D

9. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

its actually looking like we only get DS through S and T. word going around is portland needs a PF. SATANOSCILLATEMYMETALLICSONATAS

10. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

its actually looking like we only get DS through S and T. word going around is portland needs a PF. SATANOSCILLATEMYMETALLICSONATAS

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

We spent so much time wanting James and now ever since T-Mac waived him off once in the playoffs, no one has anything good to say about the guy. We could do alot worse for a backup pointguard guys... relative to age, salary and production...

I hope we keep him. Wesley however is expendable, although its not a must trade situation. Suras gonna be healthy, Howards hopefully gonna be fine. I'm just fine with the team we have now. Remember, we took Dallas 7 games without a pf and sura was barely able to play. Just adding Head and Swift gets us at least to the WCF to play the spurs. I think everyones just getting stir crazy waiting for news. If we do improve, great, if not, our team is going places. :)

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Man, I gotta go against majority here.....I like Mike James a lot. I like David Wesley too. We seemingly became a much better running and fast breaking team after these two guys were brough on board. Mike James is tough, intense, quick, and when he does catch fire, he is almost unstoppable. Wesley's defense and perimeter shooting have been great assets as well.

I'd like to see them both stay. I'd rather see us get rid of Ward, Sura, etc.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Who's your source? That one play where James waived Tmac off? :rolleyes:

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

All I've got to say is I'm really enjoying the fact that our biggest problem now is improving our backcourt. I'd certainly like to see something happen, but we're still good for the playoffs as is even without making any upgrades. After the Swift signing, anything we do now is gravy, as long as we don't overpay for anyone.

#14 Relativist, Jul 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  15. New Jack

New Jack Member

Even though Wesley is likely to be the odd man out, he was integral to our success last season. If we lose him, it is crucial that the Rockets bring in someone at the 2 that can replicate the skills that he brought to the table last season (great defense, smart, effective without the ball, good shooter). Hopefully, in a taller and younger package. If Wesley were only a couple inches taller, he'd be the ideal shooting guard for this team.

16. Toast

Toast Member

L.
    O.
    L.

3 out of 4 posters on the clutchfans BBS agree - DS will come for the LLE (despite what his agent tells the local media).

That's rich.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Despite being short, Wesley is the only worthwhile defender in the backcourt. JVG better be working on one hell of a defensive scheme if he thinks Michael Finley or Stoudamire are going to keep people out of the lane.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well I don't care what his agent says. I say we call his bluff. LLE or nothing. If he signs somewhere else, then go into the season as is (maybe signing Spree or Finley), and look for a deal at the deadline with our expiring contracts.

Stoud isn't so great that we should be giving up draft picks or taking on additional contracts.

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

While I agree with you that we're probably too optimistic about Stoudamire signing for the LLE, it's equally if not more silly to take any salary claims by an agent during negotiations as credible. Agents are always pressing for more money for their clients.

20. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I feel 62% sure that DS will sign with Cleveland (I'm 100% sure this is how I feel) and a solid 87% that Barry will be back with us (but I'm only 78% sure about my feelings on that one.) I like the way Wesley plays about 60% of the time and considering that he is responsible (obviously) for about 13% of each Rockets win, and (unfortunately) 17% of each loss, well...it's obvious what needs to happen—right?