1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Weight of the Nation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by val_modus, May 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. val_modus

val_modus Member

Anybody else watching this on HBO? Its a special on the obesity crisis in America with research from some big time Institutions. Shocked me when they said one cup of juice is equal to a can of soda... Anyways, anyone else catch this 2 part documentary?

2. bmb4516

bmb4516 Member

We are fat because we are free.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

We're fat because we're stupid.

And I mean that not only on an individual level, but on an institutional level as well.

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

Agree with the institutional level, but can you blame them? Cheap unhealthy/fast food = demand... demand = profit

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

We are fat due to ignorance on proper eating habits. We are ignorant due to the government pushing incorrect information.

Such as:

[​IMG]

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I always snicker to myself when I see someone drinking fruit juice and thinking they're drinking something healthy. You may as well just drink a Dr Pepper.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I highly doubt that people's eating habits are greatly influenced by a graph they saw twice in middle school health class.

People don't expend as much energy at work like they used to. They eat the same and they get fat.

8. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Z2pFo1fAo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8 got em COACH, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Another thing they bring up which is huge for me is boredom lol... When your just chilling on the couch and your bored, so you get up to snack!

10. Classic

Classic Member

There's so much alternative research that is not part of the health 'institution' that shows that heavy carb consumption is really bad for your health.

Wanna know how bad it is? Coca-cola is funding the education of the American Dietician Association in an effort to curb our 'experts' opinions of soda and sugar consumption:

The FDA, funded by the very interests it is to oversee, is failing to do its job in protecting our citizens' health. I wish more people were willing to do their own independent research.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Well congrats, DD.

12. Classic

Classic Member

3 chins is not enough!!!

13. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

When he gets a heart attack he'll probably sue them for over feeding him

14. tallanvor

Not just that. The federal government pushed fast food restaurants to use trans fats to cook their foods over saturated fats. It's now known that Trans fats are pretty much the worst thing you can put in your body and Saturated fats aren't really that bad for you. You could go on and on about all the awful science the government pushed in the 70s-90s about proper diets.

Rly? I think every public school preaching this to students at a young age would have an affect.

15. Classic

Classic Member

I'm with you dawg, I just had 5 raw eggs as my post work out meal.

16. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

There is a certain natural diversity in weight. People lose large amounts of weight and keep it off more than 2-5 years in such low percentages that it is almost statistically insignificant. The "yo-yo" dieting phenomena is thought to be even more dangerous to health than obesity itself.

There are some major health risks to being overweight, but I am not convinced that all of the "correlation" is equal to "causation".

You simply can't tell a persons health by glancing at them. The BMI index has been thoroughly exposed as a crock. There even has been a study that shows moderately overweight people have longer life-spans than those who aren't....but that is quickly poo-poohed as "maybe they are tested better". Of course you will never hear any bad news about obesity "poo-poohed" because fat people trying to lose weight makes everyone money.

Eating healthy and exercising more is of benefit to everyone, not just fat people. Almost everyone in the much maligned "fat acceptance" movement agrees with that and promotes eating healthy and exercising more.

Culturally shows like this, Biggest Loser, Discovery networks myriad "Look at the Fat Freaks" series of shows and daily news articles which feature the dreaded "headless fatty" (pictures of fat people omitting their face, so you don't have to ask their permission to photograph them) just promote hysteria and hate (especially self-hate).

O.k. I'll get about 10 people shouting me down, probably couching it in some kind of concern for my health...but I felt the need to share anyway.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is wrong with that? The problem is people too much.

18. tallanvor

If you eat what that suggests you will become fat. very fat. Lay off the sugars (carbs, lactose, etc).

19. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

wow, that guy should seriously kill himself

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's trying! Too bad the restaurant won't let him.