1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Web Gets More Curious

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Sep 7, 1999.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Hamilton and Washington.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Just Stanley

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Breaking up Carter and McGrady would not cause Carter to crazy or something , he'd inderstand Im sure . Speaking of Carter what would Toronto want for him (i know for a fact he is untradable but just for fun)maybe Olajuwon and some 1st rounders ?

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

what would it take to get carter out of toronto? well, steve francis for starters...I would say francis, mobley, and drew, and then you might get glen's attention...

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Hey Popeye:

Have you heard from your Toronto source yet to add any other light on the crazy possibilities between Toronto and Houston?

We're dying to know...

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Pippen33,

I think it'd be interesting to watch a Rocket game with you.

I would never want to give up Mobley.
    I would give up Drew with out batting an eyelash.

Remember how much everyone loved Cassell? Well, I'm here to tell you that Mobley's better than Cassell.

Let's compare Cassell's first two year combined(championship years) with Mobes' rookie season.

--- Mobley - Cassell
    MIN- 29.7 -- 20.3
    FG%- 42.5 -- 42.3
    FT%- 81.8 -- 84.2
    3PT- 35.8 -- 31.9
    TOs- 1.60 -- 1.70
    REB- 2.27 -- 2.33
    AST- 2.47 -- 4.03
    PTS- 9.94 -- 8.26
    STL- .897 -- 1.03

Remember now, this is Cassell's first two championship years combined versus Mobley's rookie year. We have a very good player here in Cuttino. He's got a cool name. He can even play defense!! That's one thing Sammy never learned to do. I'd rather keep Mobley for the future and look to find a big man in the free agent market in a couple of years.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

7. popeye

popeye Member

Good question BK!

McLean definitely,Mack (as a sign and trade I guess),Maloney(?),Bull(?),........

Man, I don't know.They have to cover only about $4.5M- $4.7M in salary, but you'd have to think they would want more. Lots of Picks. Something.

They wanted Mack earlier in the trade season and he worked out for them,but they couldn't offer him anything then because of Oakley's pending negotiations. They accepted Maloney in previous deals.They certainly could use McLean.Although not as upside or athletic,Mack would give them some hole plugging ability in place of McGrady.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited September 07, 1999).]

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Couldn't you consider Thomas Hamilton as a "bunch of guys"?

9. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Uh oh, aelliot, that was "mean spirited". [​IMG]

10. popeye

popeye Member

LOL

Probably too much of a bunch,even in metric weight. [​IMG]

11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I dont care what anyone says Toronto is stupid. The only trade that they ever made intelligently was the one for vince carter, and the only reason they got that right is because golden state is so much dumber than them. The Willis trade a pretty bad one but not as bad as the Oakley trade. Worse yet they tried to aquire Olajuwon although still one of the best, they were willing to trade their future to us for two years of dreamshakes. Lets face it veteran leadershipshmedership. Oakley does not help a team unless they are already a playoff contender. Willis is not very athletic other than in the weigt room. Olajuwon would not have made them champion contenders either and after the two remaining years he had on his contract were over they would be left with V.C. and Tracy Mcgrady. No other young players because they traded away all their picks. All in all Toronto stinks as far as trades go, but thats just my $0.02

------------------

uhhhhhhhmmmm..... whats a signature?

12. popeye

popeye Member

Update:

Sorry for the delay on this.

Ontario source did not add anything really new to the topic.She stated Raptors are still talking "Christie" trade and "others" with everyone.She stated that the impression she and others had, was that there were very few untouchables( Carter,maybe Oakley) with the Raptors.Conspicuous by their absence in her list are McGrady and Raj the 7ft Center Rookie.
    Apparently both Florida teams had a lot of contact in last couple of days with Toronto and Boston talked to them last week several times.She could not confirm a "Houston group" coming in person to see the Raptors,but she was not at work for Thursday all day or Friday AM.She did say there was lots of calls and a couple of faxes between the Raptors and the Rockets the middle of last week.She does not recall any Utah contact at all.I might add that this source is highly placed with the Raptors but is not made privy to confidential Raptors info. She is "curiously inqusitive"(as she states) though. More importantly she is trustworthy and has a great set of office ears.

As far as Utah is concerned.O'Connor met with Fagan and it was not a productive session.What else is new.Sounds like O'Connor is either playing poker or lost interest.More than likely stalling so the Rockets can get impatient and go elsewhere.

Sorry wish I had more.Rockets are very mute on everything. Which leads me to think they are doing some major manuevering.Or this is all over and they are quietly waiting for Anderson to finish out their roster.But I don't think so. [​IMG]

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Willis trade was bad for us not the Raptors. They needed a center. They got a center. Camby hasn't looked good till this year and probably was going to leave toronto.

Willis would have come in handy versus LA when Drew and Mirsad Turcan were ineffective.

Would Pip, Maclean, Maloney, Bullard, Drew and pick in two years for Mcgrady, Christie, Willis, a PG and next year's first rd pick work? Toronto should be able to take some cap hit, maybe not this much.

Toronto: They get a PG, Carter then moves to the 2, Pip to the 3. Antonio davis (for Bender?)and Oakley are their PF's?

This trade is out there, but I am a fan of McGrady. Deal with it. He is ready to play. The pick next year would be huge for us. We get younger, lose a little now at SF , but the improvement at backup Center makes up for it. Also, McGrady within two yrs will be better than Pippen.

The rockets roster would be

Hakeem, Willis, THam
    Barkley, Thomas, VHam
    McGrady
    Christie
    Francis Mobley

If Snderson signs, he either starts at 2 or 3. If Mack signs, he either starts or backs up 2. Mack shouldn't be a problem signing and can help at 3 if needed.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

aelliot

Yes, I know we traded Turcan away. A dollar tommorrow is only worth 92 cents today. The 18 pick still hasn't amounted to anything. Drew is a long term project. My point is the rockets would have been better last year with Willis. In the distant future, the trade will help the rockets, but it could have cost the rockets a chance at the 2nd rd last yr.

I believe Toronto is well under the cap. As long as they stay under cap(which I don't know if they could), I believe the salaries don't have to match. I am sure if the rockets wanted Willis, Christie, Mcgrady,and a pick for Pippen and Drew, something could be worked out through Orlando to solve the salary problem if one still exists. Scrubs are used to fill out the cap requirements/ bench.

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

They traded Willis away to make cap room to sign Pippen or McDyess. It wasn't just for the picks and Roy Rogers.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good point outlaw,

I didn't think about the cap room we got by trading him for picks. I still think the raptors made a good deal in aquiring Willis. , which many posts claim is just stupid.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Joe Joe, I really like the trade you just threw out. One thing that we know from the past is that the Raptors WILL take on older players. Obviously they feel with Carter they have enough to win NOW...(ie: Olajuwon trade, Oakley, Willis, Antonio Davis)

18. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

Dreamer dont compare mobley to cassell.

Cassell is better. No matter what the stats say.

What im wondering is what Antonioi Mcdyss thinks

He didnt want to come here cause of are backcourt.
    Well look at it now. Francis and whoever. Is great.

I bet he feels he made a wrong choice.

19. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Good argument Pip33,

Cassell is better....better at:

getting injured
    allowing his man to score at will
    turning the ball over
    throwing the ball off his own big head.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

20. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

First thing cassell can score much more than mobley can.

Cassell passes the ball better and gets his teammates involved more.

Cassell has better ball handling skills.

Cassell knows how to react in game winning shots.

Cassell is better, thats all i gotta say.