1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Walton Family has as much wealth as lower 40% of Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Is it just for the Waltons to have more than 120 million odd Americans?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2012.
  1. Yes, it just and they should pay no inheritance taxes

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. No, it is not just and we should make laws to make it trickle down.

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Ok so what you get money into education, health care, and infrastructure tell me how does that help people?

Its not that we do not have schools, kids are dropping out of them so how does making better schools make people want to stay more? I am pretty sure if you transfered a dropout from a poor community school to a rich one that he would not be any less inclined to drop out.

Ok so we have free healthcare for everyone how does that help? People will just do even more stupid stuff now that they can get all their health bills taking care of.

The problem is our society. It is filled with just junk. You have people getting rewarded for all the wrong things. People used to want to grow up to be like skilled labor, fireman, astronauts, dentists, and doctors. Now what does everyone want to be? A celebrity, what good does a celebrity do besides movies and music. Nothing. It used to be the art of the craft to do music and movies. Now it is all about money.

This country will never change until those guys in Washington actually do something. Instead of accepting legal bribes from these groups they should do whatever is best for the nation not their pocketbooks. What is one thing that separates those guys from us. Millions of dollars. When politics has become more about who can spend more than the issues that they are trying to push, that is not a government. It pretty much a bidding war between large companies trying to push their agendas.

im done ranting, I am sad about where this country is going. Whats the longest running country under one rule? Is it like rome for 200 years? I think we have hit the peak and are continuing to slip.

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

What gives you the confidence that the additional revenue to the government would actually go to these specific areas?

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My proposal assumes that additional revenue goes to these areas. Otherwise, I would have just said "raise taxes on the wealthy".

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

The Walton's , Bill Gates and Buffet are worth billions, if you tax their income at 100%, how much revenue do you expect the US to get?

I would say, it would be close to $0.

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

Let's say the Walton's are worth $90B. I'd you take 100% of that money and give it to the bottom 25%.

How much do you think the bottom 25% will benefit from it?

6. Major

Major Member

Good thing there are numbers between what they are taxed at now and 100%.

7. gifford1967

Supporting Member

What are you blathering about?

8. ling ling

ling ling Member

@ 100% tax rate, they won't sell stock, and they don't work for their money. Yet they will still be billionaires.

9. Major

Major Member

Which is why no one except for you has suggested a 100% tax rate.

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

But it's a way of saying higher tax rate on the rich does not equal to higher revenue for the government.

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

That is probably the most awkward attempt to explain the Laffer Curve I have ever seen in my life.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Stop and think about wht you're saying.

13. Major

Major Member

Fair enough. If you tax them at 0%, you'll also generate $0. So this shows a lower tax rate doesn't equal higher revenue for the government. Now what? Based on this, any change - no matter the current rate - won't bring in more revenues. Which is dumb as all hell and conclusively false. So your point is, well, pointless.

The reality is that we actually have real-life experience with higher and lower tax rates. And we know that, under Clinton tax rates, we brought in higher revenues.

14. False

False Member

Quite a bit thanks to the multiplicative effect of public investment including spending on infrastructure, education, job training, and science.

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/rest.2000.82.3.513

Also quite a bit more because the taxes wouldn't just be applicable to the Waltons or the Gates or the Buffets. The money wouldn't just be redistributed as a rebate to the bottom 25%, if that's what you are implying. Though even that would likely be more stimulative to the economy than the current course.

So, I'll ask your question back, how much do benefit would the U.S. get by letting the Bush Tax cuts expire and having around 3 trillion more dollars to spend in the next 10 years if we spent it exclusively on education, infrastructure, job training, and scientific development? Obviously this is a hypothetical that would never happen, but I'm curious as to what you think.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The most intelligent thing Buffet ever said was when he was being praised for giving his money to the Gates' Foundation and how gigantic the amount was. He said: "it is a lot of money, but is nothing compared to what the US government could do to solve problems. The government has wasted about 3000 billion in Iraq for instance. Much more than the Gates-Buffet estates.

My dream would be if Buffet would put his money where his mouith is and use his fortune to combat the evil philosophy funded by the Koch brother's, who do put their money where the mouths are.

In essence much of the Gates/Buffet money will go to fund the problems created by faulty US government policies.

16. ling ling

ling ling Member

MYTH

Increasing tax rate on the rich = higher tax from Buffet, Gates, Jobs, Waton Family, etc...

Buffet has $50K salary

The following people have been listed as having single-digit salaries:

Steve Jobs
    Mark Zuckerberg
    Elon Musk
    Lee Iacocca
    Jerry Yang
    Sergey Brin
    Larry Page
    Eric Schmid
    Michael Bloomberg
    Joseph Marinaccio
    Henry Samueli
    Richard Kinder
    John Mackey
    Meg Whitman
    Darren Entwistle

How much of an increase in tax are you going to get from the rich?

All the folks above qualify for food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, free healthcare.

17. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I don't think I mentioned only increasing taxes on income.

18. Raven

Raven Member

It is perfectly acceptable for those at the bottom to be jealous of those at the top if those at the top use their power to keep everyone else at the bottom.

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

Those on the bottom are being used by people who want to get elected into office.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No they don't. Congratulations, you have just demonstrated that you have uttterly no idea. how the tax system or the social safety net works