1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the Waiting Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, Feb 14, 2000.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I’m tired of waiting. I want another trophy and I want it now(okay, at least next season [​IMG]). The question: what do the Rockets need to do to win a championship? We have our franchise player, our star, but I think we’re still far away from competing with other Western teams in a playoff atmosphere. Francis doesn’t have enough talent around him, enough quality players.

How do we get those players? Free agency, the draft, and trades.

Positions that need upgrading: Center, PF, SF.

I doubt that the Rocks can get better big men than Hakeem and Cato by any of the 3 means. Maybe a backup, but that’s not important(a 3rd center? Let’s not waste our time).

SF – not a lot of options as far as FA goes. Here’s some of the players who are FAs this year who can play the SF position.

Glenn Rice, Ron Mercer, McGrady, Tim Thomas, Jalen Rose, GraNT Hill, Toni Kukoc, Bo Outlaw, Kendall Gill, Dan Majerle, Rashard Lewis

I would like to get Rice, but he has a hefty price tag. We won’t get McGrady or Hill(most likely). Probly Rose and Majerle will be snatched by their respective teams. If we really pushed for one of them, we could maybe land one of the others, Thomas, Kukoc, Outlaw, Gill, Lewis or Mercer. Any one would be an improvement over Wizard, but they still aren’t that great and it would be hard to land one.

We could move up in the draft somehow and snatch a nifty SF, but I don’t expect much from a rookie non-Franchise SF. Its basically a crapshoot that wont be able to be appraised until a year or 2 down the line. I say we use this as a last resort. Unless we can nab a great PF. If we can get a good PF, then a we can deal with a possibly mediocre, streaky SF from the draft.

Trade for a SF? I don’t know. Ask CD or Popeye. I wouldn’t know about that stuff, but I don’t want to give up Mobes, so I doubt we’ll get any great SF. I could trade anyone else on the bench though(cept Kenny T and Olajuwon) Anyone want Drew, Wizard, Tmass, Rogers for a great SF?

PF: More options in the FA list.

Anthony Mason, Brian Grant, Mo Taylor, Joe Smith, Laphonso Ellis, Danny Fortson, Duncan

We will not get Duncan. I really like all the other FAs though. The Rocks should really push for any one of these guys. It would really beef up our line. Mason would bring tough defense and rebounds. Grant would be a great boost, and it does seem possible that he could leave – if he gets unhappy with his situation. And he could become a star here. Mo Taylor could flourish here as well, but a hefty price tag like Rice. Smith is a great find, if we can pry him out of Minnesota. Ellis has seen better days, but he could definently help us out. I really don’t know much about Fortson, but everyone seems to be high on him. Maybe he would be a good fit.

In the draft, I like Kenyon Martin(like Francis3). He is solid, and has heart. Everyone else is a crapshoot again. Might as well stick with KT rather than draft anyone else.

Trade for a PF? I don’t know. Ask CD or Popeye. I wouldn’t know about that stuff, but I don’t want to give up Mobes, so I doubt we’ll get any great PF. I could trade anyone else on the bench though(cept Kenny T and Olajuwon) Anyone want Drew, Wizard, Tmass, Rogers for a great PF?

My wish list: Have CD work some of that trading magic, and get a great SF, somehow free up a little more cap room(a bonus), in exchange for expendables and one of our draft picks. During the summer, use that 4.5 mill and whatever else cap room we might have gotten and STRONGLY go after one of those FA PF.

If a trade cannot go down, I say CD should go after that PF with all that money (or trade for one, or trade to get Kenyon), and draft a SF.

The Rockets would be an exciting playoff team again, with a chance in the post-season. And Francis would have a chance to REALLY show what he is capable of with players like these around him. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CD .... MAKE A MOVE!!

LETS GET THAT TROPHY FOR 2001 !!!!

That’s how I see it anyway. Does anyone else think something similar needs to happen? What is the probability, and state what the Rocks should do to their roster to compete for next year. Oh, and will we do anything before the trading deadline? Do we need to?

------------------
    Crisco melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited February 14, 2000).]

2. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I don't think we will do something this yr. (watch me be proven wrong) , from what I have read from people like Popeye and others the rockets have had good deals that have let go by this yr. maybe the other teams were asking a little too much , I really don't know maybe they were asking for players the Rox want to keep as the "core" team either that or they want to give this group a chance to see what they can do !

On another note , have any of you thought of this ?
    As far as FA's go for next yr. don't you guys think that we might have some trouble luring some quality players due to the uncertity regarding the rox status in Houston ?

3. Dunk

Dunk Contributing Member

Great point 3Pointer.

A representative (forgive me I've forgotten their names) from both the Rockets & Sports Authority are getting together this week. This meeting is to discuss "Plan B". The attempt is to have this done for a referendum vote in May.

Hopefully in May we'll win this time & the location issue won't be an issue.

------------------
    Ciao!

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Do you really think the arena thing will be that much of an issue to FAs? If we put enuff money in front of them, we should be able to lure some FAs here. I think we only need to lure one good FA in a key position and that'll increase our chances greatly.

Oh, and is that 4.5 mill to be used in a trade or to sign a FA. Im confused. I think it's either one or the other and I'm under the impression that its the latter. If its the former then scratch using $$ to get a FA this off-season. It would have to be either trade or draft.

If our untouchable "core" includes Drew, Walt, Rogers, and TMass, then I think CD is making a huge mistake. We should definently trade some of these guys if we can get a great starter at the SF or PF position. I would trade Mobes only if we were gonna get a really great star, like Brian Grant, but I would really prefer not to.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited February 15, 2000).]