1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The United States of Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REDNINJA, Aug 4, 2012.

1. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/33928/the-united-states-of-carmelo-anthony

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just imagine how effective Melo could be in the NBA if he would play off the ball and let teammates set him up more often. In Olympic competition, he swallows his pride and accepts the fact teammates can sometimes make good things happen.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

It''s a shame, because the Knicks would be really good if he did that. Remember how they played early two seasons ago? Where Amar'e was option 1 and set everyone up? Imagine that, but with Amar'e dishing it out to Melo or Tyson Chandler instead of Gallinari.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's playing with all-world players. It's easier to swallow your pride when you have Lebron James/Kobe/KD/CP3... handling the ball.

But these games clearly show Melo is a one-dimensional player. He's a scorer, and that's it. You let him do one thing he does best, he's going to dominate.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Melo scores in blowouts, Lebron scores when it matters.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He truly is one-dimensional. Sometime during the second half against Lithuania today, when it was still tight, we had a fast break opportunity where Melo was dribbling down the right wing. What'd he do? Hold the ball on the wing for a couple of precious seconds, then jack up a 3 that bricked.

He's just an awful decision maker. He truly needs a good PG to direct the offense, as we saw in Denver when Melo benefited from Billups there.

7. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

And thats exactly why Carmelo will never eeeeeeever win a title. He might win the NBA 1 on 1 invitational though :grin:

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

+1. Melo is wired to simply score; all he wants to do is catch the ball and shoot. He needs a pass-first PG or a playmaker in general (Billups was close to that) who is able to play off the ball and let him do his thing.

Kevin Durant is also that on offense, but he TRULY does play off the ball. Melo needs to learn from that.

But to defend Melo, he has never had to play with a dominant ball player in his career. If he played with an explosive player like a WB or Rose or CP3..., he would be a more productive player.

Prior to last year, Melo was considered a clutch player while Lebron was a choke artist.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Melo can do so many things in the post but he loves that jumper, live or die by it.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hold it hold it, shoot. step back, step back, step back, step back, step back, step back...etc.

1 person likes this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember that specific play and threw my hands up.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Too bad he sucks ass as the leader of his own team.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Tyson Chandler? Really?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Dishing it out to an open Chandler at the 3pt line, money. :cool:

Bynum would be even more deadly, but hey, you can't have everything.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Running up the score is boorish, especially against a significantly weaker opponent. There are exceptions, I suppose, North Korea and Dallas come to mind, but I can't think of any others.

1 person likes this.
  16. jvu

jvu Member

Autobiography by Carmelo Anthony

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

By you people, sure.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

...truth is we would all love to have him playing in Houston.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

so pretty much you can never ever criticize stars because you'll get this statement thrown in your face over and over and over. jesus christ people.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I really don't think Melo wants to be the playmaker of the team. When he got to New York the Knicks didn't have a great PG playmaker so Dantoni forced him into that role. I agree that he gets way too happy with the jumper when he's actually at his best as a high post player, though. But, If CP3 had found a way to NY we would be talking about that team in the eastern conference finals every year.

So, yeah, Melo is just a scorer but it's not like he's the only star in NBA history that's only been a scorer. And, he usually finds a way to play well in FIBA as a 4, I think that's his natural position a "stretch 4". I'm still not sure why he isn't used that way in the NBA.

meh.

Carmelo Anthony -- stunting on non-Americans